Fuel Choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Veritas726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run 87 in my 2014 express cc 4x4. Not enough difference to justify the 89. Got 42k on the speedo now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran the mid grade 89 before my tuner. I tried 87 one time, full tank. It seemed sluggish to me. If I were you I'd try a tank of 89 and 87 and notice your driving habits and watch your mpg. Only way to sell yourself on either move.

karjar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Under smog control most are, but with the Hemi's higher compression and the common use today of shorter piston skirts and fewer piston rings, the Hemi produces a lot of blow-by compared to your typical six-banger, or engine with a flatter combustion chamber..............

.......A final option is the oil catch can which ensures the fuel air mixture is consistent, even with lower octane fuel, by preventing combustion interfering PCV dredge from entering the combustion chamber.

I admit, if I were so inclined, I wouldn't go stop light hustling with 87, but for around town, I get plenty of zip, and you only have to smell the nasty in the catch can to know that stuff is no-bueno for combustion.

Okay, got my catcher's gear on waiting for the spitballs from the catch can haters....! :happy107:

ok silly question, what is a catch can? I see it referred to with CAI, does it work with CAI and removal of PCV??? Not a mechanic in case you didn't notice lol

Mugster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't know about the recommended 89 Octane, next fillup I will be switching to see the difference. Some members say not necessary if you have an OCC, True or false? Just installed the catch can this morning

When I bought my 2013 (new) I ran 89 from the start with a catch can. In the 4 years I had it I collected almost 2 full water bottles of nasty stuff. When I took delivery of my 2017 last week I installed the catch can right away. I used up the 87 the dealership put in and filled it up with 89.

Reactions: SyN

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I bought my 2013 (new) I ran 89 from the start with a catch can. In the 4 years I had it I collected almost 2 full water bottles of nasty stuff. When I took delivery of my 2017 last week I installed the catch can right away. I used up the 87 the dealership put in and filled it up with 89.

Thanks for that, yeah if the manufacturer recommends then best to do it

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Catch can places a vent screen contained in a can between the PCV and the intake manifold to remove all the yilch coming form the PCV and keep it out of your engine.

Attachments

• Hemi with PCv hose marked.jpg
    Hemi with PCv hose marked.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
OP
L

leo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I get about 19 mph on 87, doing something kind of like city driving. Stop and go to a degree, not freeway driving. I haven't had to fill up yet, so I haven't gotten to try the 89 yet.

I also am thinking to install a catch can. I had a F150 a while back, and the intake was absolutely caked with grime. I cleaned it up, but I didn't know about catch cans back then.

Foxy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you guys had to decide between 87 and 91, what would you lean toward? I'm in Iowa and 89 isn't really always an option for me.