Fuel System Issues... any thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 Ram Big Horn 4x4. I bought it used after it was out of warranty. I have never been able to fill up the fuel tank at normal pump speed. Always have to pump it very slowly.

Lately, when the truck gets to about the half-full mark, it will trip the check engine light and the fuel gauge will drop to E and read "fuel sensor fail" on the dash info center. Code reader says it's an issue with the fuel sensor, which is obviously what controls the fuel gauge.

Funny thing is, if I fill the truck up, light goes off, no issues at all unless it drops below half a tank. Any thoughts?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your fuel sensor is saying goodbye. Live with it until it doesn't work anymore or change the fuel sensor or change the fuel pump.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2016 Ram Big Horn 4x4. I bought it used after it was out of warranty. I have never been able to fill up the fuel tank at normal pump speed. Always have to pump it very slowly.

Lately, when the truck gets to about the half-full mark, it will trip the check engine light and the fuel gauge will drop to E and read "fuel sensor fail" on the dash info center. Code reader says it's an issue with the fuel sensor, which is obviously what controls the fuel gauge.

Funny thing is, if I fill the truck up, light goes off, no issues at all unless it drops below half a tank. Any thoughts?

I apologize for the trouble you are experiencing, @Steve Cloud. If this is something you ever decide to address with your local Ram dealer, we are always a private message away to provide support.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
Steve Cloud

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your fuel sensor is saying goodbye. Live with it until it doesn't work anymore or change the fuel sensor or change the fuel pump.

Curious, as I have not replaced one on a Ram. Are these inside the tank?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious, as I have not replaced one on a Ram. Are these inside the tank?
Yes, the fuel sensor is attached to the fuel pump, and the fuel pump is inside the fuel tank. depending on how many miles you have in your truck it'll makes sense to replace the entire fuel pump when the sensor finally let go.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Something better paid for a dealer to do, trust me.