Fuel&Water Pumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recommendations on when to change these pumps before failure? My '06 has about 190kms on it and would rather replace these guys before I need to. I read around 200-250kms for the fuel pump but does anybody have rough life cycles for the pumps?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
My water pump started to leak at about 150K mi. I replaced my fuel pump at 160K mi because my '97 Ram's fuel pump went out at about 150K. If you replace the fuel pump don't buy an Airtex, mine hasn't worked right from day one.

OP
OP
L

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fuel pump is a pretty big job on an '06 ram if I'm not mistake. Have to drop an axle and some other things like that (correct?) Not sure about water pump replacement procedure at all. Any directions would be appreciated

atticusfaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My water pump went at 90000 miles. I've changed oil and spark plugs before and nothing else mechanical on a motor. Did the water pump in an afternoon!

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
To replace the fuel pump you'll either need to drop the gas tank or remove the bed. You'll also need a fuel line disconnect tool that you can buy at the local auto parts store. If you decide to drop the tank be sure to get it nearly empty first.

To replace the water pump you'll need to remove the fan shroud, serpentine belt and clutch fan. Drain the coolant by opening the stopcock on the bottom of the radiator before disconnecting any of the hoses. I numbered the heads of all the water pump bolts as well as the bolt holes on the pump with permanent marker so I would know how the new pump got bolted on. Protect the back of the radiator with something like a piece of cardboard or plywood. Replace the thermostat. I think the hardest part is taking off the clutch fan. You can buy a special tool, use a strap wrench or chain the pulley to the engine so you are able to unscrew the fan.