Full time 4x4 vs part time 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ya my numbers not exact obviously but that is the reasoning behind it, wether you yours is ok it acts exactly the same as someone who is complaining about it, difference is he gets in scenereos where he notices it and you dont, and for idling in 4wd being unrealistic im an outdoor enthousiast, between hunting, fishing and whatever else i get plenty of scenarios where im idling or low on the throttle in 4wd where i dont want be on the gas doing 20mph

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I don't think you are getting is that busy just the shear presence of having that clutch creates a weaker system. Clutches will slip if stressed enough. A part time 4wd system won't slip. Ever

Imagine your front tire stuck in a rocky rut, which happens when offloading occasionally.in a part time 4wd system you would climb right out of it. In the full time system the front tire won't spin but the rear will. If the rear is in mud, you better be close to someone with a winch.
I understand exactly how the clutch system works. I also know that my clutch hasn't slipped once. I've spun all 4 on dry pavement pulling stumps.

I play is some of the slickest mud out there, good ol Georgia clay! That can be worse than ice. So far, I haven't gotten stuck or had a rear wheel spin with no front spin.

What I'm saying is we can't say that every 44-44 slapped in our RAMs are faulty. If they all performed like the few that have issues, ram would have a bit of an issue on hand. With the recent storms and what not, this would have flushed out a ton of design flaws if people couldn't make it down a snowy and icy road or had overheating xfer cases.

We can't say most or even say it's a huge problem yet. If there are not massive amounts of complaints then it will be assumed the 44-44 is successful.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not saying it's faulty. I'm saying if you keep playing in that Georgia mud, you WILL eventually blow that transfer case. It's the weakest lino in that type of system. What I want to know if if we can swap out the transfer case for one that was in an express. Transfer cases are not cheap but theirs a good chance you can find one in a junk yard.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm not saying it's faulty. I'm saying if you keep playing in that Georgia mud, you WILL eventually blow that transfer case. It's the weakest lino in that type of system. What I want to know if if we can swap out the transfer case for one that was in an express. Transfer cases are not cheap but theirs a good chance you can find one in a junk yard.

If you're going to go through all the work and labor to drop the T case and replace just get an Atlas and be done with it!

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can swap in the 44-45, it's a direct bolt in. And either the auto or 4 lock will engage 4 high..........

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. I made a call into Borg-Warner and they are looking into this. I doubt they will call back. Do you think their would he ECU issues if you did the swap?

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. I made a call into Borg-Warner and they are looking into this. I doubt they will call back. Do you think their would he ECU issues if you did the swap?

From what I have read, I don't believe there would be any ECU issues. Looks to be plug and play.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
BW says its a direct swap, dealer says its not, maybe because they just didnt want to do it, i have not read of anyone doing it either

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is an excellent point and it's one I didn't really consider so I appologize. We don't have any idea how we all are driving. When I have driven it in snow in 4Lock I feathered the throttle so the tcase engages a little softer. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesnt, but it seems to me that it would be easier on the clutch.

Agreed on the maybe/maybe not. Honestly, I just drive the fricken thing, it's under warranty for a while, and I'll totally buy an extended warranty at some point if I feel like keeping this truck for a long time. Like you, I use 4 Lock in the heavier snow, and 4 Auto when it's just semi-slippery, and the truck seems to function well. Overall, I'm not worried about the strength of the 44-44 being used "appropriately."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990