Full time 4x4 vs part time 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powrsurg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently realized there are differences between the 1500 models. The trademan, and outdoorsman have full time 4x4 while the big horn, sport and Laramie have part time 4x4. In a purely rock crawling situatio , or even just deep snow, which 4x4 system is better. I'm coming out of a ribicon that had full time 4x4 and it was crazy. I got the big horn and was surprised I could drive 4x4 on the street. Which system is better, pros and cons of each? Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Part Time is just like a little insurance if you hit a slippery area you didn't recognize. So what price do you pay for that luxury if any? Dunno. Sounds like a beneficial thing really, maybe if you were hard core offroader you might prefer the other one, maybe it would be one less thing to break. You never want to drive 4x4 on the street unless it's snowed up, but if you are not in 4x4 your 4x4 will kick in if your wheels slip, as I understand it. I have full time, so no first hand on that.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The part time transfer case is MUCH better for off roading. The full time transfer case (with 4 Auto) doesn't mechanically lock the front and rear wheels together even in 4 low, it uses a clutch.

Check this thread out: http://www.ramforum.com/f38/4x4_problem_ram_2013_8-speed-40753/

Lots of people have had problems with the full time transfer case, Borg Warner 44-44. The part time transfer case, Borg Warner 44-45 is what you want to get. Unfortunately you are stuck with the full time tcase in the higher end models.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wow, good info. Seriously, I am going to test that tomorrow, I had no idea. That is F'd up. For the 2010 model 6 speed as well?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The part time transfer case is MUCH better for off roading. The full time transfer case (with 4 Auto) doesn't mechanically lock the front and rear wheels together even in 4 low, it uses a clutch.

Check this thread out: http://www.ramforum.com/f38/4x4_problem_ram_2013_8-speed-40753/

Lots of people have had problems with the full time transfer case, Borg Warner 44-44. The part time transfer case, Borg Warner 44-45 is what you want to get. Unfortunately you are stuck with the full time tcase in the higher end models.

How did I miss that thread. Anyway, I literally knew my next truck would be an old truck. I have plenty of dough to buy a new truck, but the fact is they made them better in the 90's then they do now. I'm gonna get a 94 Ford, no I wont race any of you but I will pull you out when your stuck. I'll keep the Ram too, just nothing new from now on.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
So after reading through that thread am I reading it right that the Sport comes with that ****** 4wd system ? Or is it a option on it ?

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
So after reading through that thread am I reading it right that the Sport comes with that ****** 4wd system ? Or is it a option on it ?

I believe anything higher than the Outdoorsman comes with the "full time" 44-44 transfer case, meaning yes, the Sport trim comes with it. Not an option.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, good info. Seriously, I am going to test that tomorrow, I had no idea. That is F'd up. For the 2010 model 6 speed as well?
Yes, f'd up is right seeing as the dial says plain as day "4Lock".

Yours should be fine. If you have the 4 auto feature, you should have the NV246 tcase which does lock the front and rear wheels together mechanically in 4Lock and 4Low. I believe the BW 44-44 didn't start appearing until 2011.

It's easy to see if you have the 44-44, there will be a plate right on the tcase that says "BW 44-44 Torque OnDemand".

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just read a post earlier from someone saying that there will be a kit you can purchase from rsgear for 750 that will eliminate the clutch and make it actually lock

I'll believe it when I see it but supposedly it is out there.

Edit: here it is, hope posting other forum links isn't a bad thing here....
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9959

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks oh wise brother, yes I used mine several times in the snow and it engaged proper. I was just being cautious I was 90% that wasn't mine, that is really f'd up. If Obama could put something in a truck, he would put that crap in there for sure.

So back to original poster, you pay a lot for that luxury. It may be a safety feature that would help, but it will be a hindrance in old school 4x4 situations.

Last edited:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 44-44 is on demand, not full time as its "disconnected" while in 2wd. Easiest way to see if it's a 44-44, just look for the auto button.

The part time 44-45 is definitely a better choice for offroad situations, there is a reason the Outdoorsman and Rebel have the part time 44-45 case!

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
Confused...is the 2016 Ram Sport 4wd crew part time or full time?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
When I first got my truck I would have to run it in 4 Auto when it rained because the stock tires were crap. I'll use Auto when rolling around my pastures, but when it get's a lil' heavy I'll hit it into 4 Lock.

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I first got my truck I would have to run it in 4 Auto when it rained because the stock tires were crap. I'll use Auto when rolling around my pastures, but when it get's a lil' heavy I'll hit it into 4 Lock.
4 auto and 4 lock are the same thing. The clutch system prevents it from actually locking.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
4 auto and 4 lock are the same thing. The clutch system prevents it from actually locking.

Indeed it is... but not really. While it still uses clutches through the different modes once you go into 4Hi and 4Lo it locks the clutches together. I'm looking to swap my TC out for a part time anyway because I'm tired of horrible MPG.

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys I'm an idiot. I just needed to think back to my Rubicon. Man I screwed up. I went with the bighorn and ended up with an inferior setup. The bighorn,sport, and Laramie all have the center different /clutch. Under extreme situations in 4wheel lock it will still slip. I'm not taking this truck rock crawling like I did the jeep but it would have been nice to know that I had the same functionality. Dammit. Something told me to get the outdoorsman.

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Indeed it is... but not really. While it still uses clutches through the different modes once you go into 4Hi and 4Lo it locks the clutches together. I'm looking to swap my TC out for a part time anyway because I'm tired of horrible MPG.
Unfortunately, that is not the case. Even in 4hi and 4 low the "auto" transfer case requires the rear wheels to slip before engaging the front.

OP
OP
P

powrsurg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ exactly. In a hardcore off road situation this isn't helpful

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I feel for ya man, that is a real shady deal. You can look at almost everything any manufacturer does and it is like full blown tards are running the **** over there. A couple good things like coil back suspension or 8 speeds and high HP aside, they really screw us with all of the other absolute garbage. Hopefully Ram is listening, hey guys stop ruining perfectly good trucks with stupid technologies. Hopefully they aren't mad at me pointing that out, they might hack my junk and wreck me.

madpuma13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys I'm an idiot. I just needed to think back to my Rubicon. Man I screwed up. I went with the bighorn and ended up with an inferior setup. The bighorn,sport, and Laramie all have the center different /clutch. Under extreme situations in 4wheel lock it will still slip. I'm not taking this truck rock crawling like I did the jeep but it would have been nice to know that I had the same functionality. Dammit. Something told me to get the outdoorsman.
I'm not super familiar with jeeps but doesn't the Rubicon come with front and rear diff lockers as well?

I would LOVE to be able to put in at least a rear locker. I have the oem lsd but there is nothing like a selectable locker. No one makes them for the zf diffs [emoji25] .