Funny Uconnect 12" Display Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamSoldier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've owned my 2019 Ram 1500 Sport since new (purchased 2 months ago).
I've has some minor issues with my uconnect over the past couple of months, but this week all of the "regular" issues took a shot of adrenaline, and my screen has been acting up!
Today the uconnect wasn't responding to touch. So I attempted to power it off for a few minutes, figuring maybe it was just tired...
Well then all hell broke loose.
The buttons on the display started to intermittently flicker and pulse in a random pattern. I was able to switch screens, but none of my steering wheel buttons would effect the radio (no volume, no changing stations).
Brought it in to the dealer, and even their audio tech was scratching his head. This has now been brought to the attention of Chrysler.

I have documented the issues on video for the last month or so. I will update as I get more info! But has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Steve Karolek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Yikes... nothing like this in my 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn yet...

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I've owned my 2019 Ram 1500 Sport since new (purchased 2 months ago).
I've has some minor issues with my uconnect over the past couple of months, but this week all of the "regular" issues took a shot of adrenaline, and my screen has been acting up!
Today the uconnect wasn't responding to touch. So I attempted to power it off for a few minutes, figuring maybe it was just tired...
Well then all hell broke loose.
The buttons on the display started to intermittently flicker and pulse in a random pattern. I was able to switch screens, but none of my steering wheel buttons would effect the radio (no volume, no changing stations).
Brought it in to the dealer, and even their audio tech was scratching his head. This has now been brought to the attention of Chrysler.

I have documented the issues on video for the last month or so. I will update as I get more info! But has anyone else experienced this?

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP
RamSoldier

RamSoldier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Chrysler replaced my uconnect yesterday. So far everything seems to be working. Let's hope I'm the only one who had that issue

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Chrysler replaced my uconnect yesterday. So far everything seems to be working. Let's hope I'm the only one who had that issue

Please do not hesitate to follow up with us if any additional assistance is needed!

Mark
RamCares

GREGORY BRIGGS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecotorq 5.7
Good luck I've had mine for 1 year nothing good to say about the truck electrical problems all around this truck.FCA really doen't care once you buy it

John Beauvais

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Diesel
12" screen problems begin-My 2019 Ram 2500 Limited diesel crewcab with 6,400 miles within the past week has developed extreme screen issues-no sound at all, eternal searching for Sirius radio, my iPhone can dial but I have no sound-when I dial with the 12" screen off the screen turns on and I have no sound. I then have to stop truck and turn off ignition to use my iPhone.
The issues are getting worse,orioginally it was intermittent.........the sticker on my truck was over $90,000 when I bought it in March 2020

Golfnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi MDS WT
we have been dealing with unresolved recurring, intermittent issues with our UConnect 12.0 in our 2019 All New Ram 1500 Limited. Blank screen and no controls of course, or screen is lit and visible but controls are unresponsive, or screen is lit controls appear responsive but zero audio from any source.
Latest Theory the Dealer Service has is that the main radio/HVAC control module is the problem.... They suspect this may also be the cause of our reoccurring battery drain issue which leaves us with a truck that won't start most of the last two months.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
we have been dealing with unresolved recurring, intermittent issues with our UConnect 12.0 in our 2019 All New Ram 1500 Limited. Blank screen and no controls of course, or screen is lit and visible but controls are unresponsive, or screen is lit controls appear responsive but zero audio from any source.
Latest Theory the Dealer Service has is that the main radio/HVAC control module is the problem.... They suspect this may also be the cause of our reoccurring battery drain issue which leaves us with a truck that won't start most of the last two months.

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares
So with this problem happening often it seems to many people why cant anyone figure out the problem. Is the HVAC/radio control module a stab in the dark or has it fixed other trucks? I have had this problem since day 2 and I am only on day 4. I dont know if its worth going to the dealer if they are not going to do anything for me .

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/day-3-of-new-truck-everything-is-great-except-the-sound.167589/

Shriner20452

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2020 Ram Laramie with the 12.1 inch infotainment system. A little over a month ago, I lost the ability to use the radio. Sirius would not lock into my pre-selected channels. Also, the phone would not work correctly, I couldn't use the USB connections nor the Bluetooth. The volume would sit at 10 and you were unable to do anything. If you went home, it would allow you to take care of the HVAC components, but that was it. One day it would work fine and then next day nothing. I took it to my
Ram dealership and the "said" the display panel was bad. A new one was ordered and once installed, the back up camera was clearer and the radio controls worked great. I drove home and had the truck parked for about 2 hours before we went out to dinner. I got in, turned on the radio and nothing happened. I mean the screen was totally blank. We drove to dinner, parked, went in and ate. We went to the truck, started it, put the radio on and it worked perfectly. This has happened every day for the past 2 weeks. I got rid of my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel because of all the electronic problems I had with it and decided to by a Ram. This one was on the lot and has everything but a moonroof. I love the truck, but Ram better decide how to fix these infotainment systems, once and for all, or I may be buying a Ford really soon.

Warranty or not, and I purchased a 100K extended bumper to bumper warranty, nothing is more aggravating than to be sold how wonderful something is, only to find out that problems exist and have existed for over a year and 2 model years without a resolution to the problem. These are the things that almost killed the US auto industry in the 50s and 60s and allowed the foreign car companies to get a good foothold in the US.

I think the phrase "$h!t, or get off the pot" is appropriate here. Quality is more than a slogan. It has to exist in the production and long after a purchase is made.

Last edited:

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
12" screen problems begin-My 2019 Ram 2500 Limited diesel crewcab with 6,400 miles within the past week has developed extreme screen issues-no sound at all, eternal searching for Sirius radio, my iPhone can dial but I have no sound-when I dial with the 12" screen off the screen turns on and I have no sound. I then have to stop truck and turn off ignition to use my iPhone.
The issues are getting worse,orioginally it was intermittent.........the sticker on my truck was over $90,000 when I bought it in March 2020

I also purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 this past March and am having the exact same issues with my 12" screen the dealership has had it since this past Friday Oct 9th and it sounds like Chrysler is balking at fixing/replacing the 12" screen. I brought it to the dealership while it was exhibiting the problems so they took pictures and a video of it. The 12" screen was my biggest concern when I purchased this truck and it starting acting up with less than 3000 miles on it. After I first experienced the problem I started searching the internet and discovered this is a well known issue for 2019-2020 Ram owners and have even seen some of them talking about starting class action lawsuits as it appears Chrysler has yet to develop a "Fix". It is my understanding that the 2021 12" screen is a completely different design due to Chrysler realizing that the 2019-2020 models have inherent design flaws. I am still waiting to see what they are going to do about it.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2020 Ram Laramie with the 12.1 inch infotainment system. A little over a month ago, I lost the ability to use the radio. Sirius would not lock into my pre-selected channels. Also, the phone would not work correctly, I couldn't use the USB connections nor the Bluetooth. The volume would sit at 10 and you were unable to do anything. If you went home, it would allow you to take care of the HVAC components, but that was it. One day it would work fine and then next day nothing. I took it to my
Ram dealership and the "said" the display panel was bad. A new one was ordered and once installed, the back up camera was clearer and the radio controls worked great. I drove home and had the truck parked for about 2 hours before we went out to dinner. I got in, turned on the radio and nothing happened. I mean the screen was totally blank. We drove to dinner, parked, went in and ate. We went to the truck, started it, put the radio on and it worked perfectly. This has happened every day for the past 2 weeks. I got rid of my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel because of all the electronic problems I had with it and decided to by a Ram. This one was on the lot and has everything but a moonroof. I love the truck, but Ram better decide how to fix these infotainment systems, once and for all, or I may be buying a Ford really soon.

Warranty or not, and I purchased a 100K extended bumper to bumper warranty, nothing is more aggravating than to be sold how wonderful something is, only to find out that problems exist and have existed for over a year and 2 model years without a resolution to the problem. These are the things that almost killed the US auto industry in the 50s and 60s and allowed the foreign car companies to get a good foothold in the US.

I think the phrase "$h!t, or get off the pot" is appropriate here. Quality is more than a slogan. It has to exist in the production and long after a purchase is made.

I am having the same issues with my 2019 2500 Laramie crew cab. The 12" screen was my biggest concern when I purchased the truck and less than 3000 miles it starting doing exactly what you described. The dealership has had it since this past Friday and it sounds like Chrysler is balking at changing it out because as I was told it is a $3000 part. I paid over $62000 for the truck and the infotainment center has only worked about 60% of the time. I have seen some other post where people are starting to discuss class action lawsuits over these problems and the unwillingness of Chrysler to fix the issues.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I also purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 this past March and am having the exact same issues with my 12" screen the dealership has had it since this past Friday Oct 9th and it sounds like Chrysler is balking at fixing/replacing the 12" screen. I brought it to the dealership while it was exhibiting the problems so they took pictures and a video of it. The 12" screen was my biggest concern when I purchased this truck and it starting acting up with less than 3000 miles on it. After I first experienced the problem I started searching the internet and discovered this is a well known issue for 2019-2020 Ram owners and have even seen some of them talking about starting class action lawsuits as it appears Chrysler has yet to develop a "Fix". It is my understanding that the 2021 12" screen is a completely different design due to Chrysler realizing that the 2019-2020 models have inherent design flaws. I am still waiting to see what they are going to do about it.

Alison
RamCares

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Called the dealership yesterday to get an update. They said they are still waiting on a response from Chrysler. This Friday will be two weeks that they have had the truck and over a week waiting on a response from Chrysler to let them know how to proceed. This is BS. How hard is it for the techs at Chrysler to review the issues and provide direction. I feel sure they have multiple ways of communicating. Again, this is BS. If they are not able to correct the issue I will never purchase another vehicle from Chrysler and will advise everyone I know to steer clear of them. Sad I have reached this point after purchasing at least 6 Chrysler vehicles over the years.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Started happening about a week or two after I purchased the vehicle. The dealership has had my truck since Oct 9th and they keep saying they are waiting on direction from Chrysler. This is BS. The 12" screen was my biggest concern when I purchased the truck and sure enough it is turning out to be junk.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a friend who bought a 20 3500 Laramie. He got it pretty well loaded but opted for the 8.4" radio strictly because of the problems with the 12" screen. He has had it for around 6 months and hasn't had any issues with it at all. The 12" screen seems to be one of the only complaints on the Ram 2500/3500 trucks. It's a shame that one component of a vehicle can cause so many issues but these new vehicles control pretty much everything through the infotainment system. Ram needs to figure out a fix for the 19 and 20 trucks. It's amazing to me that they either can't figure out the issue or won't figure out the issue. It seems that their slew of engineers and whoever developed the software could correct this and move on. I was going to go with the 12" when I buy my truck but if I see posts of the 2021 having the same issues I'll just stick to the 8.4" screen and call it good.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

John KIOhio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a friend who bought a 20 3500 Laramie. He got it pretty well loaded but opted for the 8.4" radio strictly because of the problems with the 12" screen. He has had it for around 6 months and hasn't had any issues with it at all. The 12" screen seems to be one of the only complaints on the Ram 2500/3500 trucks. It's a shame that one component of a vehicle can cause so many issues but these new vehicles control pretty much everything through the infotainment system. Ram needs to figure out a fix for the 19 and 20 trucks. It's amazing to me that they either can't figure out the issue or won't figure out the issue. It seems that their slew of engineers and whoever developed the software could correct this and move on. I was going to go with the 12" when I buy my truck but if I see posts of the 2021 having the same issues I'll just stick to the 8.4" screen and call it good.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

If you go with the 12" on a 21, see if any of the following issues are fixed.
On my 2020
Uconnect Doesn't Work For Texting, YOU HAVE TO USE ANDROID AUTO/APPLE CAR PLAY which means the phone has to be plugged in.
There is NO monthly vehicle report with the 12" because of the 360L
There is a glitchy issue with the remote start and the unlocking of the doors, probably related because that is controlled on the 12"
I have HORRIBLE Sirius reception. The dealer replaced antenna and that's not it.
I brightness auto adjust is all greyed out....no options. You have to use the knob lower left of the steering wheel.
There are no apps anymore because the system relies on Android Auto or Apple Car Play.