Day 3 of new truck, everything is great except the sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Bought my truck out of state and had a nice 6+ hour drive home. Everything worked perfectly. Went out in the morning to go to work and no sound except for the button beep. Screen said Sirius searching for satellite or something. Got to work let it sit and nothing again, finally mid morning it started working. Drove home and fine, went out for dinner and after dinner no sound. Pulled over 3 times to turn off and on and finally sound. Left it on FM as thought satellite was the problem. Fine the next morning drove to work and parked it. Came back out and no sound so I called Sirius to have them resend the signal. It started working. Drove it to lunch and everything was fine. Got in the truck to drive home and no sound again. This is getting real old. I love the 12” screen and sound when it works, other then the drive home it has only worked about 50% of the time. The satellite button is not lit so I don’t know if it searching for a signal is a problem but why wouldn’t the FM work? Anyone else run into this constantly happening? I would think an $80,000 truck might have a radio that works.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are several posts of people having similar issues with the 12" screens. It seems to be pretty common. I would recommend video taping what it's doing so the dealership can't do the old could not duplicate excuses and take the truck in to have it looked at. I was going to go with the 12" screen when I buy my 2500 but after seeing all of the issues people are having with them I will probably go with the 8.4".

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

JAASON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have drove to the dealership while it was happening.....waiting for an update they tell me.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have drove to the dealership while it was happening.....waiting for an update they tell me.
They told my friend the same thing after they tried the "we couldn't duplicate excuse" which is crazy. You pay 50k to 70k or more for a truck and it doesn't even work correctly from the start and they can't fix it. This means you get to drive around in a brand new truck with no radio or Bluetooth ect until they decide to come out with an update.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Well on day 4 it was just fine when I left the house this morning. I left it on FM and it worked. It seems the if that first screen comes up that wants you to accept it then everything is perfect. When that screen doesn't come up first when you turn it on then it doesn't work.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well on day 4 it was just fine when I left the house this morning. I left it on FM and it worked. It seems the if that first screen comes up that wants you to accept it then everything is perfect. When that screen doesn't come up first when you turn it on then it doesn't work.

I had a few issues with the basic screen. It would just stay black and not make any noise. I had to pull battery then reconnect. Had todo once a month or so... try that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I had a few issues with the basic screen. It would just stay black and not make any noise. I had to pull battery then reconnect. Had todo once a month or so... try that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will give that a try next time it happens. I am day 6 and I have left it on FM for the last 3 days and it has been working fine. Tomorrow morning I am going to try and leave it on Sirius and see if the problem comes back. I am tending to believe that the satellite radio or antenna has an issue.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will give that a try next time it happens. I am day 6 and I have left it on FM for the last 3 days and it has been working fine. Tomorrow morning I am going to try and leave it on Sirius and see if the problem comes back. I am tending to believe that the satellite radio or antenna has an issue.

Keep us posted! This also happened with my Ford work truck, the entire infotainment system went down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Keep us posted! This also happened with my Ford work truck, the entire infotainment system went down!

PCT, I shall keep this going until it works correctly. Day 7 and it has been working fine since day 3 when it did not work after dinner. I have left it on FM radio since then and its been fine. I turned it to Sirius on the way to work this morning so we will see after work if its still working and in the morning.

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Day 8 and as I said in my last post I have switched it to Sirius before I got our of my truck at work yesterday morning. Needless to say it didnt start so no sound again, I turned it off and on 3 times and nothing. Went to the hardware store on the way home and left it on FM, it worked just fine when I came out of the store. Went out to come to work this morning and it worked fine as it was on FM, after about a mile I changed it to Sirius as the source light on the left side of the screen was bright. All I got was Sirius XM searching, I have Sirius on a 2018 Grand Cherokee Summit that works fine so I know its not the area. I switched back to FM as it worked today and no sound went back to Sirius and nothing. Turned back on FM and left it but the funny thing is that the cluster says as my audio source SXM so I took a picture and am going to make an appointment with the dealer as its obviously a Sirius XM issue in the radio.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Day 8 and as I said in my last post I have switched it to Sirius before I got our of my truck at work yesterday morning. Needless to say it didnt start so no sound again, I turned it off and on 3 times and nothing. Went to the hardware store on the way home and left it on FM, it worked just fine when I came out of the store. Went out to come to work this morning and it worked fine as it was on FM, after about a mile I changed it to Sirius as the source light on the left side of the screen was bright. All I got was Sirius XM searching, I have Sirius on a 2018 Grand Cherokee Summit that works fine so I know its not the area. I switched back to FM as it worked today and no sound went back to Sirius and nothing. Turned back on FM and left it but the funny thing is that the cluster says as my audio source SXM so I took a picture and am going to make an appointment with the dealer as its obviously a Sirius XM issue in the radio.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Sounds like SXM is the problem? Somehow? Send it to the stealer ship!

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Well 2+ weeks in now, I left it on FM for a week and everything worked perfect. Went pheasant hunting for three days and didnt take my truck so it sat in my shop. When I got back I started it with the FM on the way I left it and then switched it to Sirius while driving and it worked fine. I am now into 4 restarts leaving it on Sirius and al is good. No clue now as everything is running fine. The only thing different about the truck is that I had an alarm installed a week ago, its back at the stereo shop today getting 8" headrest screens so we will see.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Bought my truck out of state and had a nice 6+ hour drive home. Everything worked perfectly. Went out in the morning to go to work and no sound except for the button beep. Screen said Sirius searching for satellite or something. Got to work let it sit and nothing again, finally mid morning it started working. Drove home and fine, went out for dinner and after dinner no sound. Pulled over 3 times to turn off and on and finally sound. Left it on FM as thought satellite was the problem. Fine the next morning drove to work and parked it. Came back out and no sound so I called Sirius to have them resend the signal. It started working. Drove it to lunch and everything was fine. Got in the truck to drive home and no sound again. This is getting real old. I love the 12” screen and sound when it works, other then the drive home it has only worked about 50% of the time. The satellite button is not lit so I don’t know if it searching for a signal is a problem but why wouldn’t the FM work? Anyone else run into this constantly happening? I would think an $80,000 truck might have a radio that works.

I also purchased a 2019 Ram 2500 this past March and am having the exact same issues with my 12" screen the dealership has had it since this past Friday Oct 9th and it sounds like Chrysler is balking at fixing/replacing the 12" screen. I brought it to the dealership while it was exhibiting the problems so they took pictures and a video of it. The 12" screen was my biggest concern when I purchased this truck and it starting acting up with less than 3000 miles on it. After I first experienced the problem I started searching the internet and discovered this is a well known issue for 2019-2020 Ram owners and have even seen some of them talking about starting class action lawsuits as it appears Chrysler has yet to develop a "Fix". It is my understanding that the 2021 12" screen is a completely different design due to Chrysler realizing that the 2019-2020 models have inherent design flaws. I am still waiting to see what they are going to do about it.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its back at the stereo shop today getting 8" headrest screens so we will see.

Mind posting photos of the screens and where the DVD/blueray player will be mounted? My kids are dying for something like this back there and it's the only thing preventing us from taking this on a long trip over the minivan (I HATE wires so those little packs with wires running all over the place is not an option).

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
View media item 30173
Mind posting photos of the screens and where the DVD/blueray player will be mounted? My kids are dying for something like this back there and it's the only thing preventing us from taking this on a long trip over the minivan (I HATE wires so those little packs with wires running all over the place is not an option).

Jm91rs,

Here is a link to the screens. The headrest matched my interior very well, my stereo guy took a picture of the interior as its the Limited with the piping that he wanted them to match. I am pleased with the product. https://www.vizualogicdirect.com/omni-8 I can post a true picture of my screen if you still want to see them.

The DVD player is right behind each screen so they can watch the same DVD or they can each watch their own.

I ran out and took a picture of the screen.

Last edited: