Gas and Diesel Premium Clusters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can I swap a premium gas cluster for a premium diesel one in the same truck? Will all still work ok as a gas cluster? I heard yes, any thoughts?

RAM1341-1-600x400.jpg

carcandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn cc 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just curious as to why? The diesel clusters seem to sell for more on ebay than the gas ones. What would be the purpose?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Diesel cluster is also going to have the DEF gauge which will be useless to you. Why swap a premium for a premium? What is your goal with that.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can I swap a premium gas cluster for a premium diesel one in the same truck? Will all still work ok as a gas cluster? I heard yes, any thoughts?

View attachment 183013
It’ll work. I’m guessing you are wanting a limited cluster with the nicer gauge graphics and number fonts, and you happened to find one for a diesel? Like mentioned, you’ll have a useless DEF gauge, and the tack gauge has lower RPM range.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Diesel cluster is also going to have the DEF gauge which will be useless to you. Why swap a premium for a premium? What is your goal with that.

But will that DEF gauge act like the temp gauge on the gas cluster once plugged into a gas truck?

Last edited:
OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It’ll work. I’m guessing you are wanting a limited cluster with the nicer gauge graphics and number fonts, and you happened to find one for a diesel? Like mentioned, you’ll have a useless DEF gauge, and the tack gauge has lower RPM range.

But will that gauge act like the temp gauge on the gas cluster?

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just curious as to why? The diesel clusters seem to sell for more on ebay than the gas ones. What would be the purpose?

I can change the gauge face on the gas cluster to a diesel one, will save a bunch of money for the diesel owner that wants to upgrade to a premium cluster.

carcandy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn cc 4x4
Engine
6.7 CTD
Jimmy brings up a good point on the tachometer. The diesel cluster only goes to 5k and redline stars above 3k. I'd try to source a gas cluster in limited if that's what you're after.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It’ll work. I’m guessing you are wanting a limited cluster with the nicer gauge graphics and number fonts, and you happened to find one for a diesel? Like mentioned, you’ll have a useless DEF gauge, and the tack gauge has lower RPM range.[/QUOT
Jimmy brings up a good point on the tachometer. The diesel cluster only goes to 5k and redline stars above 3k. I'd try to source a gas cluster in limited if that's what you're after.

But will the diesel gauges act like the gas gauges once plugged into a gas truck and visa versa?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But will the diesel gauges act like the gas gauges once plugged into a gas truck and visa versa?
The DEF gauge won’t do anything, even if you swap the face. Same the other way around if it was the temp gauge.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
But will that DEF gauge act like the temp gauge on the gas cluster once plugged into a gas truck?

No the DEF gauge won't do anything if you put it in a gas truck. It will just be a dead gauge. And liked mentioned your tach won't go high enough for a gas truck. The main gauges aren't "configurable" to a vehicle, they are set for that particular model and aren't going to change

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
These are the answers I needed, thanks you guys for the help with this..