Gas Guage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peten95337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello group. I have a 1998 Dodge 1500 Ram. My gas guage does not work and it does not read how much gas is in the tank. How would I trouble shoot the guage and can it be replaced?

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't know about 1998 but the gauge showing empty or otherwise acting strange, in later models like my 2014 1500, has been a faulty fuel sensor in the gas tank.
Either way though, you got some troubleshooting to do to nail down the issue.

EDIT: I happened to me and I took it to the dealer. They diagnosed it to the sensor and replaced it, all done in a day because they already had the sensor in stock.

If you can do the work yourself I'll add that about 75% of what I paid the dealer was labor so you might save yourself some cash as a DIY.

Good luck.

Last edited:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
get a cheapo OBD reader and the Torque app, free/trial ver should work. There is the fuel level from the ecu and that give you a look at what is coming out of HAL

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're in the wrong forum, should be 2nd gen, but the hardest part of the job is dropping the fuel tank. Check to see if it has the fuel drain hose underneath, it should be marked and tucked in up at the top. Get the tank as empty as possible. Lower and support the tank, you can use a jack or even ratchet straps. Disconnect the fill hose, wire harness, and fuel lines. Pull the tank right out so you have better access. Turn the big plastic lock ring ccw until it comes off, and pull the fuel unit straight up and out, it looks like this; Verify tank size. Then reverse procedure and re-install. It's really not a bad job.