Gas Mileage!?

WHEN YOU BOUGHT YOUR RAM WAS GAS MILEAGE A CONSIDERATION?

• YES

Votes: 66 40.2%
  • NO

Votes: 98 59.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
MPG was a small factor in that I didn't want to go backwards from what I had......

Texas_Cornhusker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tell me about it..lol

I feel sorry for you though. Gas prices in Hawaii are crazy..

they've gone down a bit we are at 3.88 for reg, and 4.18 for premium. Its an island so I don't drive but to work, we take the jeep around the island. my 2012 is almost two years old and i only got only 11k miles on it lol.

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
We have a truck because we need a truck.
We haul a lot of stuff and tow our boat with it.

When we went truck shopping, seemed all the comparable size trucks got similar mileage.
So, yes, I guess we did look at that, but mostly to compare with what we were used to driving.
Our 2001 Ram 1500, RC, V6, 5spd manual, actually got less mileage than the 2012 HEMI. - and its a much bigger truck.

I figure the people who complain about the mileage they are getting because it does not match what the window sticker or the salesman told them, may not have bought very many vehicles or perhaps, they were distracted by the new truck smell. :)

Our truck was rated 14-20MPG and guess what?
We get between 14-20MPG driving the truck around.

Now, complaints aside,
To me, the gazillion threads about increasing mileage are the same as the gazillion threads about making the truck go faster.

Neither one irritates me, because each of us has a different use for our trucks.

As an aside, I have seen plenty of guys complaining about the mileage they are actually getting with their eco-boost.
- Now, if i bought a V6 ecoboost based on the advertised MPG and I was actually getting about the same mileage as a V8 HEMI,
I would be seriously pissed off. :favorites68:

Kind of a slap yourself on the forehead and say, "I coulda had a V8" moment.
Because, strip away all the technology, it's still just a V6.

Last edited:

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was not concerned with MPG's when I bought my third Ram, had an 05 and traded an 11 for my 13. Of course it would be great if it got 25 MPG's but it doesn't and I'm good with that. I did just take a trip last weekend, most was highway driving but I did do some city and lot's of stop and go going through Austin, I reached speeds of 85 MPH too. At the end of my trip I filled up, calculated my MPG's by hand and got 19.1 avg MPG's so I'm very happy with that!

EDIT: I have an 8 speed with 392's

Last edited:

suseuser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was told that not having a working thermostat would affect your gas mileage. Mine went out. I'm getting 9 mpg! It will be changed asap.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Was not concerned with MPG's when I bought my third Ram, had an 05 and traded an 11 for my 13. Of course it would be great if it got 25 MPG's but it doesn't and I'm good with that. I did just take a trip last weekend, most was highway driving but I did do some city and lot's of stop and go going through Austin, I reached speeds of 85 MPH too. At the end of my trip I filled up, calculated my MPG's by hand and got 19.1 avg MPG's so I'm very happy with that!

EDIT: I have an 8 speed with 392's

See, I would be more than happy with this mileage, especially with the kind of driving you did. Pure highway would have probably netted you over 20 mpg's.

boyko59

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport Night Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Gas Mileage was a slight consideration. The reason it was considered was that I was buying a truck as a daily driver and after spending a **** ton of money on it, I wanted to be able to gas it up until I could get money back into the savings account. I did take into account when purchasing it, what my monthly payments would be and my estimated gas usage/cost would be... that's probably because I like to be precise about my spending.

Side note: It is getting about what I expected (low to mid 15's), but I wish it were higher. :)

06RumbleBee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know that when I was buying my truck that gas mileage wasn't going to be anything like my Acura Integra was. I bought a truck cause I stopped commuting as far and missed driving one. So, go figure I switch jobs and now I'm driving over 40 miles 1 way for work. Haha. I try to get the most from it but at the end of day if I didn't like it I wouldn't have opted for the 5.7 and 4wd. Plus having road rage doesn't do much for mileage either. Haha. But I came across this article showing towing fuel mileage and the cost difference between diesel and gas as well as where they rank with their competition. Towing Fuel Economy Infographic - HitchAnything.com

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gas mileage was NOT a big factor for me ! My old truck 97 extended cab 4×4 Ram 360 with 33s . I put 250,000 miles on it , Loved it and I new I would one day get me a new RAM . Well my 97 got about 9- 11.5 mpg. It needed new tires ( there's $1500.00 ) then I hit a deer @ 65 mph. (Ironically heading deer hunting with my climbing stand and my bow in the bed at 0445 )
That was gonna be another $500.00 deductible . I gotta say It was easier to convinced myself that 6-8 mpg was worth buying a new truck NOW ! LOL ! Wow I should've done this years ago!
Honestly I gutted the deer in the ditch ,got the police officer to help me put him in the back of the truck , took him to the butcher , went home cleaned everything out of my old 1997 beat up jewel of a truck and headed to my local dealer with deer blood and hair still all over it and the front end bashed( but driveable) without knowing what the new trucks mpg was and with absolutely NO intentions on driving my 97 Ram home ! I knew gas mileage would be better than what I had and I was pleasantly surprised with the 15 - 19 mpg on the sticker . I average 18 on my 2014 QC 5.7 4×4 HEMI !! At that average I'll still get better when I have my 35s installed , so I'm stoked !!

I SHOT IT WITH MY P.S.E. EVO MAX !!!!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So to resume this thread, ecoboosts suck and suck gas like a v8. Incredible ford technology!

The way i see it, you can burn 100l of gas in a tercel amd do a few kms or i can burn 100l of gas in my hemi and do a few less kms but have 100x more fun while doing it!
My consideration when buying my ram was practicality. I could have gotten a hemi LX car for the same price and it would have been maybe even more fun (fast) but you cant just throw a couch and a table and chairs or a cord of firewood in the back, or tow a trailer, or go off road or any of the badass things you can do with a ram. Also the king of the road feeling on the highway and making people show some respect in the city. Some people should not be driving...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hear ya brother , I use my truck as a Truck ! The 250,000 miles I put on my last truck i'd say 60+k was pulling a boat and another 60 k involved hunting , camping ,hauling something and slinging mud . And not once did I ever think of gas mileage !!!

I SHOT IT WITH MY P.S.E. EVO MAX !!!!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So to resume this thread, ecoboosts suck and suck gas like a v8. Incredible ford technology!

Not true. I think there are certain trucks for all manufacturers that just do not get good mileage. The best I've gotten with my truck, 17.3. The best my grandfather has gotten with a 2012 with the Ecoboost is 22. Not quite sucking in my opinion.

jdeere05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Gas mileage? Whats that?!?!?! Ive always owned trucks with v8s lol if I want mileage ill drive the wife's journey

JoshikusIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn't care when I bought it. Just wanted the power. And I was offered a 2011 4.7 Ram with 21k miles for 8k less but refused. Yes it would be nice to get 25mpg but it's not gonna happen. I've accepted my 15mpg average. Anyone that claims more is a liar, or does not drive their truck so it goes wasted anyways. Don't believe everything your computer tells you...it's designed by a large corporation and has connection to satellite.

drum4the1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
I didn't even look at mpg's until we were driving home from the lot. I had a 2001 2500 diesel that was totaled by a Ford ranger (he t-boned me right behind the drivers door and bent the frame under the fuel tank). I used the payout and bought my wife a 2011 Grand Caravan while I took her 2006 Durango that had the 5.9 Magnum and was getting 9.2 mpg. I drove the Durango for about two months before convincing my wife that I needed another truck. I searched for about a month before finding "the one". 2006 1500 4.7 with only 30k. I know, I know...why the 4.7 and not the Hemi? Well, the dealer just put after market wheels and new 315/70/17's on it and leveled the front. My research showed little difference in power, towing, and overall performance between the two engines and seeing as how the Hemi's with low mileage were almost $9,000 more I thought I did ok. I average 11.5 and on long trips I actually get closer to 14. Stock is 12-14 so I'm doing pretty good. I took a work comp settlement earlier this year and paid off both van and truck so I really don't even notice a squeeze at the pumps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 32

Cowboy345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it most certainly was! I cannot tell you how much my average is but I was torn between 3 trucks. Ram, 2012 Chevy, and a 88 or 89 chevy (only had 29,*** miles). The 2012 had the smaller V8, the 88 had a 350. In all honesty the dealership website said 14 city 20 hwy on all three. So I have more power, torque, reliability, and features and just as good fuel economy.
So yes I can say it was defiantly a factor and a factor that lead to the purchase of a ram.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn't care when I bought it. Just wanted the power. And I was offered a 2011 4.7 Ram with 21k miles for 8k less but refused. Yes it would be nice to get 25mpg but it's not gonna happen. I've accepted my 15mpg average. Anyone that claims more is a liar, or does not drive their truck so it goes wasted anyways. Don't believe everything your computer tells you...it's designed by a large corporation and has connection to satellite.

My last tank I got 17.6 MPG's and that's calculated by hand, my computer consistently reads 1.2 higher then it actually is so no I don't trust my computer either. While I don't thrash on my pickup I certainly don't baby it either.