Gas Mileage!?

WHEN YOU BOUGHT YOUR RAM WAS GAS MILEAGE A CONSIDERATION?

• YES

Votes: 66 40.2%
  • NO

Votes: 98 59.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokinstorm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gas mileage was a major concern for me because of the intended usage of the truck. We had been using my buddy's Tundra 4WD quad cab to drive all over the eastern half of the country picking up drag bikes and various parts. It was averaging around 10 MPG pulling a small trailer and we had to use the trailer most of the time because his truck had such a short bed. I got the Ram with an 8' bed and now anything we ever need to pick up will fit right in the back. I was averaging 22-23 MPG when I first bought the Ram new in August but that's gone down slightly now. It's colder and I'm sorta starting to enjoy the power now so I'm not driving it quite so conservatively anymore. If you can believe the computer I'm still getting over 20 to as much as 21 MPG average per tank. I reset the trip meter every fill up. I'm sure glad I didn't get the V6 model as that was my intention when I went looking. The decision to change was made much easier for me as they had both the V6 and Hemi version right there when I went to the dealer but they wanted 2000 bucks more for the V6. I still can't figure that one out but that fact kept me from doing something really stupid. I'm modding the Hemi slowly but surely but will undo any mod that kills MPG. Stock gears are going to stay in the truck and I will not be switching them out for 4.10's anytime soon even though I know that will make the truck much more fun on the street and at the track. I'm getting an electric fan and also getting in on the group buy for the underdrive pulley, both mods to help with gas mileage and to have a little extra power available to move the truck. Hopefully by next Summer my MPG will be back up to 23 again as long as I keep driving it like Grandpa.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not true. I think there are certain trucks for all manufacturers that just do not get good mileage. The best I've gotten with my truck, 17.3. The best my grandfather has gotten with a 2012 with the Ecoboost is 22. Not quite sucking in my opinion.

I dont know him but key word here: grandpa
Tow the same trailer the same way with an ecoboost and a hemi and i guarantee the ecoboost with suck as much if not more than a hemi.
I have driven many ecoboost f150s and talked to lots of owners and i dont deny its a fun truck to DD (who doesnt like boost?) but as soon as you put a decent trailer on the back you get that " shoulda got a v8 " feeling
Also the condensation in the intercooler problem was big around here ford only found the problem a few months ago. I know every company has issues and recalls but i fix or repair fords daily ( haha) and have seen more than enough to know to stay far away from anything with a blue oval. About the only thing they did right was the crown vic. Damn tough car.
So it comes down to dont send a child to do a mans job.

JohnD72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Originally Posted by JoshikusIII View Post

Don't believe everything your computer tells you...it's designed by a large corporation and has connection to satellite.

Really?...

So our trucks are conspiring against us... now I've heard it all. :D

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well. First road trip. 17.5 rolling 78 in rolling hills. Way better than my tundra ever dreamed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I dont know him but key word here: grandpa
Tow the same trailer the same way with an ecoboost and a hemi and i guarantee the ecoboost with suck as much if not more than a hemi.
I have driven many ecoboost f150s and talked to lots of owners and i dont deny its a fun truck to DD (who doesnt like boost?) but as soon as you put a decent trailer on the back you get that " shoulda got a v8 " feeling
Also the condensation in the intercooler problem was big around here ford only found the problem a few months ago. I know every company has issues and recalls but i fix or repair fords daily ( haha) and have seen more than enough to know to stay far away from anything with a blue oval. About the only thing they did right was the crown vic. Damn tough car.
So it comes down to dont send a child to do a mans job.

I will not deny the fuel mileage will be worse with a trailer behind it. Im strictly talking about empty mileage where most trucks spend 95% of their lives. I drive like a grandpa when it comes to highway driving, going 55 to 60 mph the ecoboost beats my truck so bad mileage wise it is embarrassing. I would much rather have the hemi for reliability and sound but for mileage hands down the ecoboost wins.

OP
OP
namccanna

namccanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I will not deny the fuel mileage will be worse with a trailer behind it. Im strictly talking about empty mileage where most trucks spend 95% of their lives. I drive like a grandpa when it comes to highway driving, going 55 to 60 mph the ecoboost beats my truck so bad mileage wise it is embarrassing. I would much rather have the hemi for reliability and sound but for mileage hands down the ecoboost wins.

The Ecoboost wins nothing.... at least for us that like to play with our trucks. I can get great mpgs (20-21ish) driving like a "grandpa" in my RAM. What's the best number we've heard from the Ecoboost!? 22-23ish.

Now.... drive them both like they're stolen... I'd bet the Hemi wins... between red lights and in mpgs.

I know a few Ecoboost owners and they all seem to feel like they were tricked by the BS sales ads of the Ecoboost. They don't see the "grandpa" mpgs and one of them got better average mpgs in his Hemi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

suseuser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't see how it's possible to get 20 mpg in a Ram? The newer ones must be the ones that can do it! :confused:

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Vapiper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, it was....but I was not comparing it to a car's MPG....I was comparing it to my wrangler and my previous ford ranger.....btw, my Ram gets the same....and possibility for better MPG than the ranger 4.0....and is on par with my 13 wranglers 3.6 ....actually better as my wife drives the jeep and has a lead foot lol.....comparing a trucks mpg to a car's is just ....don't want to sound harsh so I'll just say...not wise :) .....

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Ecoboost wins nothing.... at least for us that like to play with our trucks. I can get great mpgs (20-21ish) driving like a "grandpa" in my RAM. What's the best number we've heard from the Ecoboost!? 22-23ish.

Now.... drive them both like they're stolen... I'd bet the Hemi wins... between red lights and in mpgs.

I know a few Ecoboost owners and they all seem to feel like they were tricked by the BS sales ads of the Ecoboost. They don't see the "grandpa" mpgs and one of them got better average mpgs in his Hemi.

There is no possible way my ram could ever get 20 to 21 mpg's. I don't care what it is rated for, it barely displays 20 mpg's let alone actually getting it.
If you want to go that route and talk about driving lime they are stolen, how about being able to get more power out of them. Get a livernois tune on a ecoboost and I dont care how many mods you have, you won't be catching it.

PicRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure it was a consideration but that was relative to other trucks.

I knew what it was and what I was going to use it for when I started looking. When all the numbers were compared (mpg, towing, cargo cap, etc), I chose this one and am happy as a clam with its' mileage. The reason for this is I first accept that it's a truck and go from there. It will never compare to an econobox but I didn't want one of those and have the brains to realize I won't get that kind of fuel economy from a full-size p/u.

As I have said before, even better mpg than my last mid-sized SUV, so loving my TRUCK!

OP
OP
namccanna

namccanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There is no possible way my ram could ever get 20 to 21 mpg's. I don't care what it is rated for, it barely displays 20 mpg's let alone actually getting it.
If you want to go that route and talk about driving lime they are stolen, how about being able to get more power out of them. Get a livernois tune on a ecoboost and I dont care how many mods you have, you won't be catching it.

I think you should sell your RAM and go buy a Ecoboost.... you sound like a fan! Don't get mad, just sayin!

I'm sure there are some trucks here that'll keep up with an Ecoboost. Tuned or whatever. You can get as much power out of a RAM as your wallet can keep up with.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It takes all sorts of people in life right! :p
The running joke in our garage is if everyone drove rams we would only do oil changes and regular maintenance! So i appreciate everyone that has the patience to run a ford :)

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok. I know it's off topic on this thread, but Illinois winter blend unleaded sucks. Lost at least 2 or 3 mpg when I filled up on today's road trip. Went fro 17 at 78mph to 15.5 and an average of 60mph. Gawd that was awful. I did have the 4wd engaged for some of that time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think you should sell your RAM and go buy a Ecoboost.... you sound like a fan! Don't get mad, just sayin!

I'm sure there are some trucks here that'll keep up with an Ecoboost. Tuned or whatever. You can get as much power out of a RAM as your wallet can keep up with.

I would have gotten one with the 6.2 actually. Then I couldn't complain about mileage. I have screwed over by far too many ford dealers to ever go back.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That was my first thought too, if he is so much in love with the eco puke then whey isn't he driving one and spending $3500 on it so it'll beat the stock Ram like some other D bag that's been on here talking up his ferd!

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yes, it was....but I was not comparing it to a car's MPG....I was comparing it to my wrangler and my previous ford ranger.....btw, my Ram gets the same....and possibility for better MPG than the ranger 4.0....and is on par with my 13 wranglers 3.6 ....actually better as my wife drives the jeep and has a lead foot lol.....comparing a trucks mpg to a car's is just ....don't want to sound harsh so I'll just say...not wise :) .....

I get better gas mileage with my 2011 ram 16-17mpg then I did with my 07ranger 6inhc lift and 33's. 4.0l v6 are thirsty for fuel. Averaged 11 if I was lucky.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388669743614.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388669743614.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
namccanna

namccanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I get better gas mileage with my 2011 ram 16-17mpg then I did with my 07ranger 6inhc lift and 33's. 4.0l v6 are thirsty for fuel. Averaged 11 if I was lucky.

My Mazda B4000 (Ford 4.oL) was the same way... thirsty! I think I was averaging 13ish with it... good little truck tho! 278k on the clock when I sold er for $1500.

Cliff p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Of course it was a consideration when comparing TRUCKS. I look at overall value, not any particular brand name. The Ram had given me more pro's than con's when comparing to Ford and GM in terms of total cost of ownership and overall long-term value retention. The only reason I ended up not buying a Ford was due to negotiated sales price. They still came in at a few grand more than my equally equipped Ram.

I do not hate on Ford and GM products as some here have, as they have nice features as well.

No offense to some of you in here, but those bashing other makes/models so quickly really make me scratch my head. Are you basing your opinions on what others have said on the internet? Or are you speaking from a good amount of personal experiences?

Remember that the internet is a treasure trove of "what's wrong" people. 9 times out of 10, someone isn't going to post on the internet just about being satisfied with their purchase. They're posting because they've found something they do not like/does not work.

/OT

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My Mazda B4000 (Ford 4.oL) was the same way... thirsty! I think I was averaging 13ish with it... good little truck tho! 278k on the clock when I sold er for $1500.

I paid 11500 for mine.. Put some money into it.. 210km on it before I sold it private sale to buy the ram. Got 8500. So I didn't think I did to bad. There fun little trucks with lots of Power.... But nothing compared to the ram. I'm never trading my truck now that it's lifted and looks almost how I want it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388670743935.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388670743935.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 22