Gearing Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to be towing a 10k trailer from MD to TX late next year with a 2016 RAM 1500, 3" lift and 35" tires. I am thinking about changing the gear ratio to either 4.11 or 4.56, currently 3.92. Thoughts? Thank you!
Why take a chance. If you like your 1500 the way it is, leave it alone and rent a 2500 somewhere. That has to be less than re-gearing axels and/or doing tire swaps. Rent/borrow what the job requires and you and the rest of the vehicles on the road will be better off.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
A 10k trailer is stated, we don't know if that is gvwr or loaded weight. A cat scale trip would appear to be in order to determine the actual,.loaded ready to travel weight.

Regardless, if we use 10k as actual loaded weight and 15 percent for younger weight which detracts from available payload, even with just the driver and no other occupants or stuff in the truck cab or bed, the OP will likely be over payload rating on a half ton truck.

Let alone the 35s or the lift, both not good for towing heavy.

He's on the cusp of 2500 Cummins territory with that load going that distance in my opinion. But that's just me, personally. I prefer to have more margin than most.

Stock tires would help as do the already good 3.92 gears, but he's going to be over payload. What he needs to confirm is he will not be over GRAWR with the considered load, especially on a trip that far.

Some folks elect to disregard the weight ratings and wind up ok. That's their choice, I just do not, again personally and would not suggest doing so. It's one of the many reasons I have a 2500 series trick and now 7yrs later, still love it just as much as I did on delivery day.

To each their own.

Happy new year gents!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't alter the statement parameters after the fact, you didn't specify an alternative size. The factory Gen4 tire sizes were mentioned and most likely what the OP would assume you were talking about.
In general the lower the profile of a tire the more they cost, the smaller rims are more probably abundant at salvage yards.
The OP is towing a trailer, not headed to the track. With lower profile tires things like potholes, and debris in the road become a hazard for rim damage even more so when loaded heavy.
They also handle a load better on the highway while towing, IMO.

My trucks handling increased (while towing and fully loaded at highway speed) 100% when I went from 285/70/17's to the 275/60/20's - a much bigger increase than when I added the helwig bar.
I can't comment on the 265/70/17 handling since I swapped those out with a 100 miles on the truck.

I wasn't pushing the newer stock size, it's just an option if he wanted the extra gear change - with 3.92's and stock 275/60/20, I think it would tow just fine.

Locally on craigslist, they prices between the 17's and 20's are about the same - again might depend on where you are.
As far as the boneyards, again probably a regional thing, around here 20's are much more common - probably due to so many Big Horns being sold.

OPTIONS never hurt anybody Lol

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If he does use his truck, I would definitely drain and refill the rear axle with premium gear lube BEFORE the trip.
Takes about 1/2 hour to do, no need to pull the cover, just drain and refill.
The rear axle will be working pretty hard and it is cheap insurance.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To answer the original post......I wouldn't bother spending the time and money to regear the truck just for a trip or two. Especially not going from 3.92 to 4.11 as there is hardly any difference at all. Even going to 4.56's is a pretty small step.
With that said, I think if the trailer will actually weigh 10,000 lbs. loaded (versus the trailer just being rated for up to 10,000 lbs.) that is a a lot for a lifted 1500 in regards to handling and stability. Power and gearing would be the least of my worries in this situation. I usually think people way over analyze towing and say you need way more truck than what is required, but in this situation I would say you are pushing the limits of a comfortable and relaxed trip if it's extended distance and running at freeway speeds. If you were running 20 miles on backroads it is one thing, but running long distances on the freeway is something else.