Good buy or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaseO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
38,100 miles 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie White exterior. Laramie Level B Equipment. $38,000

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not enough information to make that call. Any other options besides Level B ewuipment group? What condition is it in? Private party or dealer sale? Would help a lot if you can provide the VIN.

OP
OP
CaseO

CaseO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not enough information to make that call. Any other options besides Level B ewuipment group? What condition is it in? Private party or dealer sale? Would help a lot if you can provide the VIN.

Vin#

1C6SRFJT7MN788561

OP
OP
CaseO

CaseO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Dealership. Haven’t seen the truck, it’s hour 1/2 from the house.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Okay, I don't know about pricing in Indiana, but that looks to be a good price if buying from a dealership, and pretty much on par with what I am seeing in my area. Even so, it's always a good idea to try to negotiate a better deal. And I know people are buying online more now, but I'll never buy a vehicle without driving it first. Even a brand new one. I would advise you to go look at it in person, and maybe bring someone with you that doesn't have "car shopping goggles" on. It helps if that person knows about vehicles.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just out of factory bumper-bumper warranty but still have a good amount of powertrain left. You might look at the, "in-service" date so you know exactly how much of the five years is left. Worst case the truck was put into service midway through 2020 so you'd only have a little over a year left. The dealer should also be able to pull and send you the service history so you can see if/what problems, recalls, etc, it's had done.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Never would buy used sight unseen. Have made a deal for a new one that way. But had the option of backing out, in writing, when I went to pick it up.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
Go look at it, a half hour drive is nothing.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
only about 1/3rd of the way there
;)
You're right, but the way the OP worded it is a little strange. But a 90 minute drive is still a reasonable distance to drive to look at it. I've driven a lot farther than that to look at a vehicle. I think the farthest is almost 5 hours one way. It was a fun road trip, though coming home was inconvenient because of having to drive two vehicles home.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get a mechanic to do a full check. To many vehicles with problems out there. The mechanic should pop off a lot of the electrical connections to see if there's rust in there, that would signal a potential flood vehicle. And when driven, drive it hard, keep turning electrical things in and off over and over again. Turn everything on at once and let it stay on for a while. Before you even leave for the test drive and before it has been started turn the ignition on but don't start it and turn on the lights, the windshield wipers, full blower, put windows up and down a couple times and then try to immediately start the truck. That will tell you if a potential battery problem is there. Take a USB cord with you and plug into all the outlets and make sure your phone shows charging at least.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're right, but the way the OP worded it is a little strange. But a 90 minute drive is still a reasonable distance to drive to look at it. I've driven a lot farther than that to look at a vehicle. I think the farthest is almost 5 hours one way. It was a fun road trip, though coming home was inconvenient because of having to drive two vehicles home.
I agree (and I had to read it twice myself to get it right)

When I bought my 2500, I drove the superdookie 4 hours one way to trade it in (they were not happy to take it) and drove the ram 4 hours back home

But, it was the truck I wanted

OP
OP
CaseO

CaseO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, I don't know about pricing in Indiana, but that looks to be a good price if buying from a dealership, and pretty much on par with what I am seeing in my area. Even so, it's always a good idea to try to negotiate a better deal. And I know people are buying online more now, but I'll never buy a vehicle without driving it first. Even a brand new one. I would advise you to go look at it in person, and maybe bring someone with you that doesn't have "car shopping goggles" on. It helps if that person knows about vehicles.

The truck is in Kentucky but I live in Indiana.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
38,100 miles 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie White exterior. Laramie Level B Equipment. $38,000
4x4 ? Hemi or pentastar engine. Sounds like it might be lease return .

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4x4 ? Hemi or pentastar engine. Sounds like it might be lease return .
I agree its a loaded-up lease that was driven hard in the 3 year lease, isn't a lease for 36 months, leaser wanted to get rid of it, beware of this deal, I would run from it!!!

I wish my Laramie had some of that glitter you can't get all of that without breaking a window.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go look at the truck in person. Could very well be worth the 90 minute drive. My 2018 was a lease vehicle, purchased by me in 2019 with 16K miles. It was pristine as many lease vehicles are pampered because the lessee is worried about use/damage charges. Ask the selling dealer to cover a 3-5k warranty to put you at ease.