Hate that tranny knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm shopping for a truck to replace my 97 RAM 1500. The only non-traditional automatic I've driven was a rented Chrysler 300 in 2012 that had the console joystick. I didn't like it. The best example of my frustration would be this - I'm backing out of a parking spot and when I'm clear to move forward I can grab the mechanical shift lever and pull it from R to D without looking at it. Those shifters were designed to move from R to D without requiring the shift arm to be pulled in. Same with D to R. So I can maneuver the truck forwards and backwards without looking at the gear selector. This doesn't seem to be the case with these electronic shifters - either the 300 joystick or this rotary knob. I don't want to have to take my eyes off my surroundings just to shift the truck from R ot D. Similar issue when I back out of my driveway each morning - I don't want to have to look away from the road just to shift the truck into D.

Now, I only had the 300 for a week, so maybe there's something more to the way these new electronic shifters work that I'm not aware of.

Maybe turning the rotary knob full right gets to me D without looking and that would work. But getting to R without looking seems impossible with this setup.

Am I missing something?

I have a standard column shifter. I always look at the gear im in, no matter if I'm going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive whatever it may be, and I always stop the truck completely before moving the shifter. I'm not in a hurry when it comes to changing gears an automatic transmission.

Just what I think is best and works best for me

Last edited:

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
Then be aware of your surroundings more then, man card still intact.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I didn't realize I was risking my man-card simply by asking a question. The issue here is my safety and the safety of my family. Anything that takes eyes off my surroundings could be considered unsafe. The steering shaft shift lever required no eyes. Count clicks and simple moves from R to D and back without counting clicks or even pulling the lever towards me. The knob is quite different and seemed closer to the console joystick in the 300, which I considered to be unsafe. After some good replies here I think the knob is an improvement over the joystick.

Real men drive a manual anyway. Some of us have family members who can't so we have to compromise.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
I don't know about your truck. But mine has to be stoped before I can shift. So it should be pretty safe for you taking your eyes off the road.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I don't know about your truck. But mine has to be stoped before I can shift. So it should be pretty safe for you taking your eyes off the road.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

In the end it is only something different then we are all used to. human beings can adapt to more than we think. Just a little bit of time and repetition and he won't even remember that it was a problem.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I didn't realize I was risking my man-card simply by asking a question. The issue here is my safety and the safety of my family. Anything that takes eyes off my surroundings could be considered unsafe. The steering shaft shift lever required no eyes. Count clicks and simple moves from R to D and back without counting clicks or even pulling the lever towards me. The knob is quite different and seemed closer to the console joystick in the 300, which I considered to be unsafe. After some good replies here I think the knob is an improvement over the joystick.

Real men drive a manual anyway. Some of us have family members who can't so we have to compromise.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
It's the same if you had a shifter. You will.get used to the clicks of the knob. I have never had a issue. I am so used to it now. I don't look at all. Not once have I had a issue. You will get used to it just like a column shifter.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm shopping for a truck to replace my 97 RAM 1500. The only non-traditional automatic I've driven was a rented Chrysler 300 in 2012 that had the console joystick. I didn't like it. The best example of my frustration would be this - I'm backing out of a parking spot and when I'm clear to move forward I can grab the mechanical shift lever and pull it from R to D without looking at it. Those shifters were designed to move from R to D without requiring the shift arm to be pulled in. Same with D to R. So I can maneuver the truck forwards and backwards without looking at the gear selector. This doesn't seem to be the case with these electronic shifters - either the 300 joystick or this rotary knob. I don't want to have to take my eyes off my surroundings just to shift the truck from R ot D. Similar issue when I back out of my driveway each morning - I don't want to have to look away from the road just to shift the truck into D.

Now, I only had the 300 for a week, so maybe there's something more to the way these new electronic shifters work that I'm not aware of.

Maybe turning the rotary knob full right gets to me D without looking and that would work. But getting to R without looking seems impossible with this setup.

Am I missing something?

I hate the knob, but it's not nearly as bad as that stupid shifter the 300 had. Mine is an SRT so it has the regular mechanical lever, but I had a loaner with the floppy stalk for a few days once and it was just awful. There's a reason why they don't make them any more.

I'd be very surprised if we don't see more traditional console shifters in the next gen RAM. FCA went back to it in the Dodge cars and the Jeeps, and the Rebel TRX concept has one as well.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
the truck is awesome it pulls a trailer like nothing is there it maintains 60 mph going up a 7% grade at max gcvwr and dam that shift knob sucks so I docking points so ttfl says go figure. having driven many trucks in my lifetime standards included and still drive truck for a living (no shift knob) its the best truck I have ever owned period.

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Bro i thought the same **** when i bought my truck. I was actually avoiding it but dam the zf tans is worth it.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I didn't like the knob at first, but it sure beats the hell out of a mechanical shifter. My 99 F150 shift lever gets old and it doesn't help that it's a bit sloppy.

Overall getting used to it paid off...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didnt read all these post but I could have bought one of those with a headlight switch as a shift knob. I couldn't wrap my head around it. I thought maybe one of designers may of had a brain fart. I bought a 2011 with a console shift lever. I dont know about the rest of you guys , but I have to lay my hand on the shifter. You cant lay your hand on a headlight switch. my two cents.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I didnt read all these post but I could have bought one of those with a headlight switch as a shift knob. I couldn't wrap my head around it. I thought maybe one of designers may of had a brain fart. I bought a 2011 with a console shift lever. I dont know about the rest of you guys , but I have to lay my hand on the shifter. You cant lay your hand on a headlight switch. my two cents.
Yea but your stuck with a trans that is known to fail. I'll gladly take a knob with the zf 8speed.

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea but your stuck with a trans that is known to fail. I'll gladly take a knob with the zf 8speed.

Really tell me about this Trans. I've only had it a month and its going in the 25 because a tranny code came up. What should I look for.?

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Really tell me about this Trans. I've only had it a month and its going in the 25 because a tranny code came up. What should I look for.?
If you bought it used I would be concerned. Those trans don't like the hard down shifts. I had all sorts of issues with my 09. I traded it in. How many miles on the truck? If there babied there OK. I'm kind of hard on my truck.
If you search on here you'll see other guys as well had issues with the RFE trans.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

You missed out on the main reason I bought my rams. The 8 speed transmission. You did it like other people that didn't want change, and got the 6 speed because of a shifter that you would of got used too. Oh my arm rests on the center console.

slohand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You missed out on the main reason I bought my rams. The 8 speed transmission. You did it like other people that didn't want change, and got the 6 speed because of a shifter that you would of got used too. Oh my arm rests on the center console.

You know your right, I don't like change. I also think that for as long as these manufactures have been building Vehicles, they would get better at it. It's a shame that $40,000 vehicles still have so many problems.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You know your right, I don't like change. I also think that for as long as these manufactures have been building Vehicles, they would get better at it. It's a shame that $40,000 vehicles still have so many problems.
The Rams never had issues with the knob.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

No, real men drive whatever the hell they want to spend their money on driving. Can't stand that "real men" comment being used in regards to vehicles, like we're all in some kind of high school **** measuring contest. Manuals are fun in certain situations, but considering I drive in a city with a lot of traffic I really rather enjoy not having to constantly go through gears at the million stop lights around town.

Back to the rotary shifter, I love it. If you're aimlessly backing up without looking first that's your own problem, not one caused by the shifter. If you have your foot on the brakes you should have plenty of time to survey your surroundings once you put it into reverse. I don't see how it takes away attention from your surroundings... While I do at times miss a column shifter because that's what I grew up with, I like the fact that the rotary shifter cleans up the interior.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At first i really hated the knob, but now i'm used to it. It frees up dash space and its all electronic anyway. No need for the column shifter.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
No, real men drive whatever the hell they want to spend their money on driving. Can't stand that "real men" comment being used in regards to vehicles, like we're all in some kind of high school **** measuring contest. Manuals are fun in certain situations, but considering I drive in a city with a lot of traffic I really rather enjoy not having to constantly go through gears at the million stop lights around town.

Back to the rotary shifter, I love it. If you're aimlessly backing up without looking first that's your own problem, not one caused by the shifter. If you have your foot on the brakes you should have plenty of time to survey your surroundings once you put it into reverse. I don't see how it takes away attention from your surroundings... While I do at times miss a column shifter because that's what I grew up with, I like the fact that the rotary shifter cleans up the interior.

Took the words out of my mouth. I find now that I shift this truck faster than I have shift any other vehicle that I have ever owned. It has become second nature. The hate on the knob is rediculous. How many other vehicles out there have electronic shifting... Almost all luxury cars now have knobs or buttons. Chevy is putting little buttons on the next gen Traverse. The list goes on. So you get a knob in a 1500 and it makes you less of a man? HAHA. You have problems if you think like that.

People act like not having a traditional shifter is a new thing. How many Chrysler products had push button transmissions in the 50's-early 60's. Now today they put a knob in a Jeep and suddenly everyone is incapable of driving and it's the car's fault. Let's sue. :sleepy10: