having an issue with my 4.7 ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liam Gracey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue before and is able to help, so i have a 2013 ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8 and I'm noticing when cruising the rpms will fluctuate (around 100-300 Rpms) i just recently noticed this issue.. I'm hoping that it's not a transmission issue but i'm not sure.

my truck is at 91000 kms as of right now, it is also just rear wheel drive if that effects anything.

Nate4x4

The Vehicle Reader
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4x4
I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue before and is able to help, so i have a 2013 ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8 and I'm noticing when cruising the rpms will fluctuate (around 100-300 Rpms) i just recently noticed this issue.. I'm hoping that it's not a transmission issue but i'm not sure.

my truck is at 91000 kms as of right now, it is also just rear wheel drive if that effects anything.
It sounds like your torque converter is locking/unlocking to maintain the speed.

Nate4x4

The Vehicle Reader
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4x4
Does that mean the torque converter is going out? Or is that just regular operation ?
See if you can duplicate the surge without the cruise on.

Very lightly touch the brake pedal just enough to disengage tcc, without applying brakes, if the surge goes away, it is the tcc.

OP
OP
Liam Gracey

Liam Gracey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See if you can duplicate the surge without the cruise on.

Very lightly touch the brake pedal just enough to disengage tcc, without applying brakes, if the surge goes away, it is the tcc.

By cruising I meant just normal driving not having the cruise control on, but the other day I noticed it was doing it and I put the truck in neutral and it was still fluctuating. I find it won’t actually fluctuate if the cruise is on. I was thinking it could be a sensor or something like that.

Nate4x4

The Vehicle Reader
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4x4
By cruising I meant just normal driving not having the cruise control on, but the other day I noticed it was doing it and I put the truck in neutral and it was still fluctuating. I find it won’t actually fluctuate if the cruise is on. I was thinking it could be a sensor or something like that.
Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. It's more than likely the throttle body. It will need to be cleaned.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/rpms-fluctuate-on-my-dodge.16919/