Head gasket.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mac1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,
I'm at a loss here. I bought this 03 1500, 4.7. About a week ago. And BAM head gasket failed.
Long story short. I just finished replacing them. And had a crank, no start issue... So I opened up the covers, and the timing had jumped one tooth. So I ripped everything back down. Got it back in time. Hooked up essentials...head covers, fuel rail, coils.. and she fired right up. So I shut her off. Finished hooking everything back up. (other than the exhaust, had to cut the bolts and don't have the replacements yet. )

And now I cannot get her to start. And when I did try to start, I started getting fire out of the exhaust manifold...

Any thoughts?!?!?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check for compression/fuel did you replace the timing chains and tensioners while you had it open? could be why it jumps time its standard practice to do a timing kit on a 4.7 at least 1-2 times in its life. It also may not want to run becaus exhaust is not hooked up the 02 sensors are not reading ect wouldnt hurt to scan for codes either possibly bad cam/crank sensors ect could be many many things.

OP
OP
M

Mac1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. I have checked and have fuel. Have not ran a compression check yet. And no I did not swap timing chains. I guess maybe I should do that as well.
Check engine light is on. But my cheap obd reader says there are no codes to be found.