Head unit upgrade Kenwood DNX619HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rikguy33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So a friend traded his car and I removed the after market head unit that he had in there. Today I went to install it in my truck but the frame of the unit will not fit into the factory opening. I have a 2012 1500 with basic radio. The new unit is a Kenwood DNX619HD. I dont see any trim pieces on the dash or radio that can be removed. Do I have to cut the dash or just give up on this unit and get another one? I have already purchased the wiring harness, XM converter and back up camera.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is it too big? If so some cutting might be required.

I'd see if Crutchfield has a mounting kit and bezel available for that head unit.

OP
OP
R

rikguy33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, it's too big. Crutchield has a mounting kit but I'm not sure how that will work since it's too big. Most adapters work when the unit is too small.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yes, it's too big. Crutchield has a mounting kit but I'm not sure how that will work since it's too big. Most adapters work when the unit is too small.

A double din radio will fit. You need the bezel mounting kit and will have to cut the metal Brace that the stock radio slid into. It doesn't effect anything by cutting it out. That's all that needs to be done. I did it on my 2010,2012 and 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
R

rikguy33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cutting sounds like more than I should be doing myself. I cant get the unit to slide past the molded plastic opening to even get to the metal.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Cutting sounds like more than I should be doing myself. I cant get the unit to slide past the molded plastic opening to even get to the metal.

Can you take some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You need to cut the upper part of your sub-dash behind the radio bezel.

OP
OP
R

rikguy33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, guess I'll get out the Dremel tool and give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a note if you’re not fully comfortable cutting things, most shops only charge like $100 for a simple radio install. Could be an option especially if you plan to do more in the future. Tell the shop your whole plan and they may have some good advice on how to do it in stages.