Header headache

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It's been a while since I've posted anything but I think I am finally ready to seriously start looking into headers. My question is, what kind of gains or improvements should I expect from a set of Shorty headers?

On a sidenote, I have noticed a drop in mpg since the 180 T-stat and a feeling of "bogging down". Any ideas?

Current mods:
Mufflex DOD14
Diablosport Trinity w/HF Tune
Moes 87mm TB
180 T-Stat
S&B CAI
Catch Can

mattmid101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2wd
Engine
5.7l
Bogging down will have nothing to do with your tstat. Did you change anything else at that time? Update the tune for the tstat?

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Shorties will give you 10-12hp. You are gonna see it more in the higher rpm's. If you can afford to do longtubes that would be the way to go. LT's will give you the bigger gain.

OP
OP
Ramsfan78

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Shorties will give you 10-12hp. You are gonna see it more in the higher rpm's. If you can afford to do longtubes that would be the way to go. LT's will give you the bigger gain.

What I have been told is that the shorties will give me better torque and low-end gains where long tube headers will give me better gains in the mid to upper rpm band along with better sound. I was also told that I would have to hollow out my cats or get the high flow cats. He also said I would have to pull my O2 sensors up out of the stream otherwise they will read the stream too hot and throw a CEL.

OP
OP
Ramsfan78

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Bogging down will have nothing to do with your tstat. Did you change anything else at that time? Update the tune for the tstat?

I can't remember for sure but I think the only thing I changed was when the fan would turn on.

OP
OP
Ramsfan78

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I can't remember for sure but I think the only thing I changed was when the fan would turn on.

I heard that putting the 180° thermostat in would or could cause the engine to run rich? Something about the Engine requiring more fuel at lower temperatures which is why our trucks run so well when the temperature outside is cool versus when it is hot.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What I have been told is that the shorties will give me better torque and low-end gains where long tube headers will give me better gains in the mid to upper rpm band along with better sound. I was also told that I would have to hollow out my cats or get the high flow cats. He also said I would have to pull my O2 sensors up out of the stream otherwise they will read the stream too hot and throw a CEL.
Who told you this?

With your custom tune, you can run no cats, and Sean will eliminate the code for you. Also, shorties make more power in the mid range and upper rpms on these trucks. With 1 3/4" primary longtubes you will get double the power gains of shorties and see those gains across a wider rpm band. 1 7/8" headers are what will make more power in the upper rpms, and a little less tq down low...if you go with 1 3/4" headers, you will feel that gain across the entire rpm band.

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP I hope you don't think I'm thread jacking, it's probably your next question anyhow.
MATT - What would be a recommendation for 1 3/4 LT's? $$?

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Go with the ARH Longtubes with high flow cats and y pipe. Get them all ceramic coated for better flow and heat retention in engine bay, cost me $350. I installed mine about 3 months ago and am very happy. No codes even without my tuner installed. I also have the magnaflow 16869 cat back. Sound is perfect not too loud and makes nice power throughout the band. I have 8 speed and fitment is perfect. Also I used stage 8 locking header bolts. My dealer installed for me for $400. Total cost about $2250 but this is the way to go period! Save if you don't have the $$$ now you'll be thankful that n the end. One last thing get new oem header gaskets as well. Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 58

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go with the ARH Longtubes with high flow cats and y pipe. Get them all ceramic coated for better flow and heat retention in engine bay, cost me $350. I installed mine about 3 months ago and am very happy. No codes even without my tuner installed. I also have the magnaflow 16869 cat back. Sound is perfect not too loud and makes nice power throughout the band. I have 8 speed and fitment is perfect. Also I used stage 8 locking header bolts. My dealer installed for me for $400. Total cost about $2250 but this is the way to go period! Save if you don't have the $$$ now you'll be thankful that n the end. One last thing get new oem header gaskets as well. Good luck!

If you ever get a chance, throw up a video of your truck, with some various exhaust blips.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
OP I hope you don't think I'm thread jacking, it's probably your next question anyhow.
MATT - What would be a recommendation for 1 3/4 LT's? $$?

ARH. The JBA's are only available in 1 7/8", so ARH is the way to go.