Header install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might be okay on steering clearance. Once it's drivable,try making a fairly hard right hand corner while giving it a good shot of the gas pedal.If the engine is going to rock over and hit the knuckle it'll be while doing that.
Yup, I'll give it a try and see. Got mid pipes connected to headers, but not catback. Need to pickup a 3od to 3id connector. O2 sensors are in and required 3 extensions. I picked up an extra 2 last week, since i was only supplied with 2. Getting tap extension tomorrow supposedly, so hopefully I can tap a new bolt and be done!

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much louder did headers make it? I want to do shorties and keep the stock muffler

I have jba shorties with a magnaflow muffler. It’s not loud at all. I live in a development so I didn’t want loud. It’s deeper and sounds better though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Finally managed to connect the jba mid to the catback... Now just waiting for the extended tap wrench that was supposed to be delivered today...

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ordered the wrong tap wrench... The Chuck is too big... Looks like I'm postponed until Saturday now...

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Ordered the wrong tap wrench... The Chuck is too big... Looks like I'm postponed until Saturday now...
Need a buddy that works at a machine shop, if he did not have could make on lathe & mill. Drill metal rod to shank diameter of tap, then tap with set screw on square, drill another hole to pass thru for t-handle or weld on t.
Could do the same for a drill extension minus the t-handle.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need a buddy that works at a machine shop, if he did not have could make on lathe & mill. Drill metal rod to shank diameter of tap, then tap with set screw on square, drill another hole to pass thru for t-handle or weld on t.
Could do the same for a drill extension minus the t-handle.
Unfortunately, I don't have any machinist friends :(

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate my life. Figured I'd try letting the bolt self tap since it's a class 10.9... got it tight and the head broke off...

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
**** it, it got a glob of rtv sealant. Putting oil in now, done ******* with this

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fired it up... Let it sit for a minute checking for leaks at the headers... Don't think they're leaking, but not 100% sure for the passenger side. Checked the oilpan area and no leaks around the rtv sealant. Also checked the flanges for the headers to mids and the mid to catback and no leaks that I could tell, which is surprising because I tightened everything by hand. Granted I used a breaker bar to tighten everything down as hard as since could. No codes thrown yet, I've got all the O2 sensors plugged in. Have a spare 18 inch harness if anyone is interested. I'm going to let the rtv sealant dry overnight and then run it hard on the stands tomorrow and check for carbon deposits around the headers. Didn't have a spare hose to try that trick for checking leaks, but didn't an empty paper towel tube.

JSVT3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really hope you're in the clear! I'll be drinking a beer thinking about the hell you've gone through for these headers and hoping for positive outcomes.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really hope you're in the clear! I'll be drinking a beer thinking about the hell you've gone through for these headers and hoping for positive outcomes.

Thanks bud, I'm sure half the people that read this are thinking the same and the other half probably wish I'd quit ********. I'd like to thank all the support you guys have given both physically and mentally. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm not inexperienced either. I've done just about everything except for full engine swap/tear downs and this, by far, has been the most miserable experience ever. It seems that's the way my luck is running lately with everything. Thanks for staying tuned everyone! I'll let you all know if I'm royally ****** or not!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Started it up and let it run for a bit. Engine oil temp got up to 180 and reved it a few times to get oil pressure up to 68ish. Oil pan did not appear to be leaking. It was smoking a pot due to oil being spilled everywhere, but that was expected. Going to let it cool off, retorque header bolts and button it all up. Regardless, I'll have my eyes glued to the oil pressure for awhile.

JSVT3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hallelujah! Haha.

jkpape

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't drop the pan, just get a large magnet & drag it around the outside bottom of the pan, dragging it toward the drain hole.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't drop the pan, just get a large magnet & drag it around the outside bottom of the pan, dragging it toward the drain hole.
Haha, tried that and you're a little late to the show!

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, now that you guys have sat through the ******** of my install experience, I'll provide my thoughts of the gains. I'd say there is a noticeable power gain throughout the rpm range, but I haven't had a chance to compare times with the Trinity, just pulling out and merging with 60mph traffic is a noticeable difference. The sound is much more aggressive today than it was yesterday maybe since it's a bit colder. The guy at the grocery store asked if I had a cam lol. It obviously quites down a bit after warmup, but still sounds like a bat at of hell on full wot. Running the Mopar catback. It sounds a bit like my '06 300c that I ran straight from the cats with srt8 headers.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Wow just ready through your whole thread. Sorry it went so bad! These 4th gens must be really tight on the space, I can install my longtubes (which I’ve done 3 times now...) in about an hour on my truck..

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow just ready through your whole thread. Sorry it went so bad! These 4th gens must be really tight on the space, I can install my longtubes (which I’ve done 3 times now...) in about an hour on my truck..

Wow, I wish. I was expecting 8-12 hours with some pains along the way. Ended up 50-60 hours.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Couple of updates... I was able to tighten just about all the bolts more after one heat cycle. I used stage 8 bolts without the retainers. Just as an FYI...

Monday, we took an hour drive.... It was obnoxious... Sounded louder like my 300c that I ran straight from the cats w/ srt8 manifolds. Also smelled heavy on the exhaust fumes to me. The lady said she didn't smell any, so I ignored it. Gas mileage tanked to 12.5 from 14.5 as well. Yesterday, I was leaving work and noticed my passenger tailpipe was off it's hanger. I tried to put it on and the entire catback, even to the midpipes fell off lol. I had to crawl under and muscle the exhaust back on the hangers. At that point, I realized why it was so loud lol. Dropped it off at the muffler shop and will pick it up after work today. That should make a noticeable difference in noise, performance, and gas mileage lol.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Have been following you from the first, and keeping my fingers crossed that you are in the home stretch here. Thanks for the chronicle.