Headers with stock exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DBrown21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
Was thinking about getting shorty headers and bolt them on with the stock exhaust from there back. Looking for a little rumble nothing crazy would it sound good or what's my best option?

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
shortys may give you a little more sound but there will not be much difference then that. you would get more bang for your buck putting in long tubes, you would get the sound difference plus you would get more hp/tq..

OP
OP
DBrown21

DBrown21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
shortys may give you a little more sound but there will not be much difference then that. you would get more bang for your buck putting in long tubes, you would get the sound difference plus you would get more hp/tq..

Would Long tube headers make it obnoxious? I wonder how hard they would be to attach to the exhaust I'm pretty sure they don't bolt up like the shortys do

Am3gross

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
i dont know about obnoxious, depends on what the rest of the exhaust is made up of, however to get the full benefit of long tubes i am sure it would be obnoxious to you if you are wanting something quiet.

the way exhaust are made these days by the makers, shortys really give no benefits over the factory installed. as far as bolting up, i am positive there will be more work involved, and a tuner may be required. once you start modding it wont stop... you will need this to work with that type of thing.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What year is your truck, what motor do you have, and what transmission do you have? Your sig says its a 2004 with a 3.7.

If you have an 09-up 5.7 truck, then longtubes alone will make the exhaust a bit deeper, but its the cats that make the biggest difference in how loud the truck will be. Running the ARH setup with their high flow cats isn't much louder than stock. Running without cats though can be obnoxious.

Reguardless, the longtube kits for these trucks are designed to clamp right onto the factory exhaust behind the Y-pipe.

Shorties are only good for about 10hp, so I'm not a fan of them on these trucks.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just to change the sound... Wouldn't it be much cheaper to replace the muffler. Just stay around the 14"-18" range so it won't be "loud"? Some on here think the super 44 is too loud, I don't think it's loud enough. Every opinion differs.

OP
OP
DBrown21

DBrown21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 3.7
What year is your truck, what motor do you have, and what transmission do you have? Your sig says its a 2004 with a 3.7.

If you have an 09-up 5.7 truck, then longtubes alone will make the exhaust a bit deeper, but its the cats that make the biggest difference in how loud the truck will be. Running the ARH setup with their high flow cats isn't much louder than stock. Running without cats though can be obnoxious.

Reguardless, the longtube kits for these trucks are designed to clamp right onto the factory exhaust behind the Y-pipe.

Shorties are only good for about 10hp, so I'm not a fan of them on these trucks.

Yeah I have 2011 5.7 hemi with the automatic trans sorry haven't updated to my new truck yet lol yeah I found long tubes that look like they'll bolt up. I know a muffler might be cheaper but I figured with a header I'll get some HP and the sound I'm looking for. So with a shorty I will get atleast some sound out of it?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Shorties aren't going to change the sound enough to justify adding them instead of a simple muffler. I would just swap the muffler as the others posted...unless you want a noticeable power increase and go with longtubes.

edemce

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want headers then do longtube, otherwise if you want sound only then do muffler.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As Matt said, catted headers with the stock exhaust won't change the sound much. I first installed ARH long tubes on my 2500/6.4 expecting it would sound a lot better. You couldn't hardly tell the difference from stock

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I wish I had saved the video but someone posted a clip of the exhaust with catless headers. It was obnoxious but sounded so good

ramtuff84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
headers

I just did the ARH longtubes w/cats on my stock exhaust. It pretty much bolts right up, after you cut about 12" off the mid-pipe. The sound is deeper but quieter at idle (used to be able to hear it in the house now I have to listen for it). It sounds better at wide open throttle now though.

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the ARH longtubes w/cats on my stock exhaust. It pretty much bolts right up, after you cut about 12" off the mid-pipe. The sound is deeper but quieter at idle (used to be able to hear it in the house now I have to listen for it). It sounds better at wide open throttle now though.

Can you tell any difference with this setup? I am wanting to do the same thing.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can you tell any difference with this setup? I am wanting to do the same thing.

You won't likely hear much difference from stock and I would suggest doing a tune at the same time.

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You won't likely hear much difference from stock and I would suggest doing a tune at the same time.

I have the I2, but deciding what other mods I want before the custom tune. I really don't care about the sound, just looking for some extra TQ.

ramtuff84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Headers

I can tell a huge difference in sound under throttle, not so much at idle. It's not an audible difference in comparison to just putting a muffler on. I'm going to do a magnaflow to make it a little louder and better flow but didn't have time during the holidays.

Nico'sRamRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemingway 5.7
For cheap mod I cut the muffler off and ran a y pipe and dam is it loud my neighbors hate me..drone is 50/50 meaning If I have a headache I hate it if I'm trying to show off I love it..did notice a little weaker throttle response but trying to take care of that.