Heads up--cabin air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope I didn't make Jay mad at me for posting my pics last night in his thread. If so, sorry bud! Figured it was related. But when I did my testing today I thought that might've been considered rude, so I started a new thread.

wink

AZmtns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How have you guys been cutting out the older model access panels? First thing I want to grab is a rotor-zip or die grinder but all I see in my mind is little pieces of plastic flying out my vents for the next 10 years. How does it work with a razor knife?

I recently did mine, and used a razor knife heated with a propane torch. Worked great, just be careful and go slow in order to cut on the lines. Also remember that the hot blade will burn your mat/carpet if dropped. GO SLOW. Literally took a minute and a half start to finish.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good info. I'll have to get a hold of a anemometer. I'm interested to see also what different brands of blowers put out. Think my blower is getting weak.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Are there a bunch of different blowers for our trucks? How easy is it to swap them?

wink

Reaction score
Ram Year
'11
Engine
6.7L ISB
There are 3 blowers that I know of, very easy to replace, undo 3 bolts and a harness. The 3 OEM blowers also depend on your trim, whether or not you have atc, etc. Then there's also after market blowers.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are 3 blowers that I know of, very easy to replace, undo 3 bolts and a harness. The 3 OEM blowers also depend on your trim, whether or not you have atc, etc. Then there's also after market blowers.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought trim level would matter, but I could see the larger cabs needing a more powerful blower. But mine already sounds like a hurricane on 7. Have to crank the stereo or turn down the fan. I think I read somewhere the motor mounts to the engine side of the firewall. Never paid attention, but guess I ought to take a gander at it.

wink

Reaction score
Ram Year
'11
Engine
6.7L ISB
On mine, you take off the glovebox, and it's right there underneath the dash above is passenger floor board

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On mine, you take off the glovebox, and it's right there underneath the dash above is passenger floor board

Just looked under the hood and no motor. So mine's probably in the same place as yours. Hopefully I won't need one anytime soon. I must be thinking of another vehicle on the firewall thing. Getting old does that to you. ;)

wink

Reaction score
Ram Year
'11
Engine
6.7L ISB
Is much easier to get to inside the truck. Literally takes 5 minutes to replace.

604Junkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi
So, I have a question... if we remove the windshield wiper cowl there is something that appears to be a hole or empty space covered by a deadening material on the right side of the cowl after you remove the plastic cover. I dont know what this is for? I was kind of surprised to see something like this cause why is a deadening material used to cover this hole? why didnt they do a proper cover for it ... is it important for the air conditioning operation or fan? So is that what restricts the air flow maybe? its kind of right above the blower.... did anyone remove this thing and see whats underneath it? I'm just wondering how this effects the airflow and the installation of cabin filter etc....

attached a pic but its not the best pic... its not from my truck.. i found it on the internet, but just attached to show the location

Inkedimages_LI.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Good info. I'll have to get a hold of a anemometer. I'm interested to see also what different brands of blowers put out. Think my blower is getting weak.

This is the meter I got off E Bay Cheap and does OK . I did a speed test on all speeds with and with out the CAF. It is on site here somewhere but can not find it lol sucks being old :O
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Wind-S...epid=1934487692&hash=item4d77aa495d:rk:1:pf:0

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are these in the diesels also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
How have you guys been cutting out the older model access panels? First thing I want to grab is a rotor-zip or die grinder but all I see in my mind is little pieces of plastic flying out my vents for the next 10 years. How does it work with a razor knife?

I used a box cutter to rough out the slot and did the finish work with an Xacto knife. It is really easy once you get everything apart and look at where the filter opening goes. Just follow the lines and keep things straight and tight. There are a couple of tabs on the "door" piece that you need to make tiny cutouts for otherwise the door won't fit right. These are a couple of tabs pointing into the air box, not the tabs on the two ends that hold the door onto the air box.

TRANSMITTERGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here in PA, I pull mine out about Nov 1st and reinstall a new one about April 1st. I find I don't need It here in the winter and It adds restriction to my windshield defrost air flow and is faster without it. Don't have allergy problems in the winter either, except I'm allergic to work all year round.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What year did it become OEM?
I had to cut-out the grooved outline, buy the cover and the filter because it wasn't factory equipment in 2012.
Ram started putting the filter doors on with no filter in the 2016s. 2017s is when just about everyone was reporting that the door and filter was in place.