Heard a Squonk This Morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This morning while crossing a highway after stopping at the intersection, I heard a fairly noticeable "SQUONK" noise coming out from under the truck. If I had to guess where it emanated from, I would put it in the transmission area.

Ambient air temp 28F. I was about 10 miles from the starting point. Trans temp 102F.

Caulk04 bypass installed. I performed the last drain n' fill about a month ago, about 25 miles after the original DNF. I used Valvoline MV Maxlife for both fills. (Using the green ZF procedure both times.)

I've heard this noise once before, under the same conditions, crossing an intersection after braking to a stop. That time I attributed it to a front brake settling in (I had just pulled them apart to check and grease them.)

The ZF shifts wonderfully IMHO. I notice no other issues.

I do have a Hellwig sway bar installed on the rear axle with poly bushings which I haven't greased for awhile. I was crossing smooth highway concrete.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mine does the same thing. Thinking I may do ball joints or drill and tap my factory ones.

Okay. Being that the ZF drain and fill was the last major thing I've done to the truck, I was concerned that was the cause of this mystery noise. The truck does have 93K on it. Nothing has been done to the front end that I know of.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Being that it was pretty cold out, a bushing or sticking brake caliper or rusted U-joint are first things that come to mind. Hard to tell w/o actually hearing it. If it was a fluid-level thing, then you'd likely notice ongoing shifting issues. Is it dry under the tranny?

You might inspect the U-joints on both the front & rear driveshafts. That's easy to do. Maybe lube up those urethane bushings if you can. Turn the radio up louder next time and it should go away :p

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Being that it was pretty cold out, a bushing or sticking brake caliper or rusted U-joint are first things that come to mind. Hard to tell w/o actually hearing it. If it was a fluid-level thing, then you'd likely notice ongoing shifting issues. Is it dry under the tranny?

You might inspect the U-joints on both the front & rear driveshafts. That's easy to do. Maybe lube up those urethane bushings if you can. Turn the radio up louder next time and it should go away :p
It's another one of those wonderful intermittent issues. I've heard the noise 2x now in the last 1000 miles. The first time was shortly after servicing the brakes which was a coupla weeks after doing the last ZF DNF. But the ZF is shifting wonderfully and otherwise performing normally. I see no leaks and have no oil spots on the garage floor

The truck drives great. No steering issues that I can detect and no abnormal tire wear.

Thanks!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I read the title, I was thinking to myself, "What's a 'Squonk'? ...is that like a waterfowl bird we don't have up here?" LOL

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
squonk: sounds like those Canadian Geese that are running behind the rest of the flock

Beautiful birds! There's water nearby, we hear a lot of Canadian and Snow Geese. They're fun to watch.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
While you're crawling around underneath it,checking u-joints,take a real close look at the swaybar bushings,and upper and lower rear locating arm bushings,both have been known to create noises that are hard to track down.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
While you're crawling around underneath it,checking u-joints,take a real close look at the swaybar bushings,and upper and lower rear locating arm bushings,both have been known to create noises that are hard to track down.
Roger!

The "squonk" noise is the closest I can come to describing this intermittent noise. :)

Of course, it would have to happen now that the weather has gotten cold. That might be a clue.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beautiful birds! There's water nearby, we hear a lot of Canadian and Snow Geese. They're fun to watch.

They're beautiful until you have to share your area with them.

They're flying fertilizer machines that we usually refer to as 'the $hit birds'.

They leave souvenirs the size of a large cat or small dog and entire fields of reminders in our parks along the St. Lawrence River.

I have an old set of dedicated sandals I wear pre and post dive as do most of the divers I know that visit the river dive sites.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Related bird story:

2 years ago I was continuously terrorized by an over-aggressive pheasant. This thing took up residence at a property we have. The closer I got to the door the more aggressive it became. It would jump up and try to peck yer (my) eyes. It was relentless. When I'd get inside it would jump up against the windows when it would see me inside. I'd never seen anything like it! I could get super mean and semi-violent and this bird would NOT back down. It would keep coming for more.

One time I drove in to the place, I was on a phone call sitting in the driveway. It came darting around the corner at me. I was sitting in the vehicle. It jumped up onto the roof and started pecking (hard) at the sunroof! I mean, this was like out of a bad B-movie.

I didn't really want to kill it, it was a beautiful bird. I'd whacked it hard enough as it was. It was bringing out "the dark side" in me. Eventually I used it's aggressive nature against it: I threw down a 2'x2' piece of plywood near the door the night before, and a couple bricks. The next day I arrived with a 44gal plastic trash can with lid. I walked to the building with the trash can inverted (no lid). As soon as the bird jumped up at me and was off the ground, I quickly dropped the trash can over the pheasant. Then slid the plywood underneath it and flipped the trash can upright (put the bricks on top).

Then I slid the plywood out of the way as I lowered the trash can lid and clipped the handles (secures the lid tight). Then gave that little bass** a ride. That thing was pecking against the trash can, I was worried it was going to peck through. When I found the appropriate place and removed the lid, you never saw a bird fly out so quick and so far!! Problem solved!!

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
squonk: sounds like those Canadian Geese that are running behind the rest of the flock
It just might be the same sound when being run over with a RAM truck.
Yes they are and there’s a migration problem or lack of migration I should say. We see them year round. Except near intersections for some strange reason.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mite check driveshaft yoke .....they get dry and do something like that when stopping

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357