Heard of a bad oil code? Stealership story.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Whats disturbing to me is the amount of people who will so readily accept some strangers word, and pile it on. There is usually two sides to every story.
I've been in the business a long time. I have never lied to a customer, customers lie to me every day.
I don't deny there are bad Dealers out there, but for every bad dealer, there are hundreds of bad customers.
I'm not saying this guy is a liar or bad customer. Or this is a bad dealer, I don't have enough information either way.

much respect for honorable dealers and salesmen and service writers, but I have been disrespected by enough dealers that I have issues with them. I have always been nice and polite and appreciative of them,. but too many of them think take that as a weakness and think they can make me their little *****. It just gets old.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
$200 for an oil change!! That must be some really good oil.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Sorry, that's backwards......why should I be a good customer if you don't provide good service ??

And I have had people from the dealership lie to my face.

I am saying it's a two way street. In our industry, we are top ten nationwide, and we are in a podunk town in the middle of nowhere. If someone walks in off the street and acts like an ***, it makes it very difficult to offer top-shelf service. If a customer acts like a gentleman, he is treated as such. And, I have gone to bat to get good-will coverage of a failure for folks who did not buy their machine from me, when their low-baller dealer couldn't be bothered.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
much respect for honorable dealers and salesmen and service writers, but I have been disrespected by enough dealers that I have issues with them. I have always been nice and polite and appreciative of them,. but too many of them think take that as a weakness and think they can make me their little *****. It just gets old.

I hear you, and I didn't mean to single you out. In my opinion most of the blame lies with corporate. They preach customer satisfaction from one side of their mouth and squeeze and screw the dealers and techs at the same time. Fix it the first visit ( as long as it don't cost much)
The system is stacked against good conscientious techs.
If you find a good dealer and more importantly a good tech. show some respect. I can tell you first hand, a small tip or even just a thank you goes a long way.
FCA makes money selling cars period. Warranty work is an expense and goes against their bottom line.
Then they wonder, gee why are good techs leaving the field, or going to independent shops. Ummm because they need to eat.

Tangent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
no worries bro. It's good to have these discussions about customer-dealer relations once in a while.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
no worries bro. It's good to have these discussions about customer-dealer relations once in a while.

For years I avoided joining any car forums, it just gets my blood pressure up, LOL. Finally joined this one because of a problem with my own new truck. The web is an amazing resource.
Back in the day STAR would be honest with you, and tell techs about known problems.
This same amazing resource makes it so they can't really do that anymore.
They tell one tech something and the next day it's all over the net and country, so it's not really their fault either.
Mostly in my spare time I would rather read about guns or any of my other interests. :favorites13:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I hear you, and I didn't mean to single you out. In my opinion most of the blame lies with corporate. They preach customer satisfaction from one side of their mouth and squeeze and screw the dealers and techs at the same time. Fix it the first visit ( as long as it don't cost much)
The system is stacked against good conscientious techs.
If you find a good dealer and more importantly a good tech. show some respect. I can tell you first hand, a small tip or even just a thank you goes a long way.
FCA makes money selling cars period. Warranty work is an expense and goes against their bottom line.
Then they wonder, gee why are good techs leaving the field, or going to independent shops. Ummm because they need to eat.

You are 100% on the money. It costs us a ****-ton to offer excellent service because diagnostic time is almost never paid. I will not give up troubleshooting until we nail the problem. Also, we do not pay flat-rate in the shop. We do not want a tech rushing through a job to try to make rate.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every time I get a satisfaction survey from FCA I comment that they need to allow more time for the techs, they are being squeezed way too much. Somehow that seems to get back to the guys and I generally am well taken care of, as far as good work. :)

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am saying it's a two way street. In our industry, we are top ten nationwide, and we are in a podunk town in the middle of nowhere. If someone walks in off the street and acts like an ***, it makes it very difficult to offer top-shelf service. If a customer acts like a gentleman, he is treated as such. And, I have gone to bat to get good-will coverage of a failure for folks who did not buy their machine from me, when their low-baller dealer couldn't be bothered.

And if he does act like an ******.....maybe you being polite and offering top-shelf service will change his tune ??

I know if I come in and get crappy service right off the bat (like a service writer telling me in no uncertain terms I have no idea what I am talking about), I am much more likely to become that ****** as a result.

Oh, and by the way, when I picked the truck up, the bill showed I knew EXACTLY what I was talking about....cuz the part I said was bad got replaced and the problem went away.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
C'MON !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE DID THE OP GO ???????????

Lets here the response in regards to your dealership that chimed in........

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Why is it that old members with few posts make the best threads, but never reply

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every time I get a satisfaction survey from FCA I comment that they need to allow more time for the techs, they are being squeezed way too much. Somehow that seems to get back to the guys and I generally am well taken care of, as far as good work. :)

It does get back to them. And may make a difference in your next visit. Customer satisfaction and scores from those surveys are how most service advisors are paid.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
You guys know where that whole "Car Dealers are Crooks" thing came from?
Advertising new cars, shortly after WW2, with A/C! for super low price, guys would show up , to buy the car and the A/C would be in the trunk. salesman would be all, oh, you want that installed? well, it will be $$$$.

MSRP's came out and dealer would take the number 1 selling car, add a set of floor mats and bump price $$$$ dollars. You want the car, you buy the floor mats too. same kind of thing for pine stripes and such.

Most big dealerships are working on the attitude you will move out of their market area, within 3 years or less. they try to get it all, right now, today.

Then again, when was the last time you told someone, no really that is too much, Seriously, you are giving me far too much money for my whatever it is. Here take some of your money back. I am good with this lesser amount here.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny that a lil ole dodge ram has the ability to do for under 50,000 than what a big company like POLARIS Laboratories spent millions on to know when oil is bad..Wow..Guess im gonna ask an extra 50,000-100,000 for my truck when i trade it in or sell it a few yrs from now..

OP.....My god man if you knew your issue and still let them go ahead with a diagnostics fee and $200 for an oil change i say you got sucked in and deserve what ya got..Sorry to say it bud but MY LORD!!

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think MOPAR4LIFE should post up the work order and receipt. I'm really curious...........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007