Heater Not Blowing Hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I am having heat troubles in my 2016 as well. Luke warm air is all I am getting.

KyleS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See this is older but I too am having the same issues. 2014 3500 with 247,000 miles blowing cold air on drivers side and luke warm on passenger. Last year I flushed heater core and seemed like I gained a little heat. Today was 0 degrees on my way to work and think I may need to work on this sooner rather than later.
Is everyone on here thinking it is the heater core? If so I think I'll dive into it soon and just bite the bullet doing it myself. I found a GREAT video that makes it look pretty easy on YouTube that I'll link below.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See this is older but I too am having the same issues. 2014 3500 with 247,000 miles blowing cold air on drivers side and luke warm on passenger. Last year I flushed heater core and seemed like I gained a little heat. Today was 0 degrees on my way to work and think I may need to work on this sooner rather than later.
Is everyone on here thinking it is the heater core? If so I think I'll dive into it soon and just bite the bullet doing it myself. I found a GREAT video that makes it look pretty easy on YouTube that I'll link below.

When drivers side has little to no heat and pass side is decent its 100% the heater core I have never had luck un clogging these on the 4th gens idk why.. But i have done 5 of these heater cores years ranging from 2010-14 its really not that bad of a job I normally finish in 1 day but if its your first time with little mechanic experience id say 2-3 days.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’ll echo that backflushing is rarely successful. However if you have a power flusher you have a better chance. With a power flusher your sending water and compressed air in the heater core at the same time.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll echo that backflushing is rarely successful. However if you have a power flusher you have a better chance. With a power flusher your sending water and compressed air in the heater core at the same time.

This may work for some but lemme tell you lol idk what is up with the heater cores on the 4th gens but I have hooked up a god dam power washer !!! to my last one ofc way to much pressure as a last ditch effort before I tore it out as I had nothing to lose didnt do ****. Only thing i can think of is maybe the passage ways collapse inside over time?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This may work for some but lemme tell you lol idk what is up with the heater cores on the 4th gens but I have hooked up a god dam power washer !!! to my last one ofc way to much pressure as a last ditch effort before I tore it out as I had nothing to lose didnt do ****. Only thing i can think of is maybe the passage ways collapse inside over time?

Usually it’s casting sand in the heater cores. Basically turns into cement and is almost impossible to get out.

Usually I’ll backflushing the core from both sides, with hot water if possible. Fill it with a strong cleaner, let it sit for 30-45min. Then backflushing again. Rarely it works but it’s always worth a shot.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Usually it’s casting sand in the heater cores. Basically turns into cement and is almost impossible to get out.

Usually I’ll backflush the core from both sides, with hot water if possible. Fill it with a strong cleaner, let it sit for 30-45min. Then backflushing again. Rarely works but it’s always worth a shot.

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
To revive this topic it appears that I am AGAIN having issues going into winter.

I tried to do a heater core flush yesterday and no dice. Its been an epic nightmare dealing with this. Some crap came out of the heater core but barely enough to talk about. Also I noticed.

Does anyone have any advice short of pulling the dash and replacing the heater core?

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I flushed and back-flushed with CLR and radiator cleaner. Left it sit overnight 2 times with CLR in the heater-core. Still no luck.

I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and replace the whole shooting match.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I flushed and back-flushed with CLR and radiator cleaner. Left it sit overnight 2 times with CLR in the heater-core. Still no luck.

I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and replace the whole shooting match.

Any other suggestions from anyone?
Just replace the heater core its the only way its not that bad of a job people make it sound worse then it is. I have done 6 of them now getting good at it lmfaooo it can be done in one day for sure a lot of vids on YouTube to help you. One thing I will say you don't need to remove steering Column just drop it down and don't forget to remove the brake switch I break it every time.