help 2 inch rear drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GHOSTDODGE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
i have a 2013 single cab mopar edition express hemi...i just want to lower the rear to level the truck...whats the best spring to use ?would the springs of a r/t truck work,that is give me the level stance?thanks for your help

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just cut the springs. Our trucks have SO much travel, even my very particular wife says the ride comfort is the same as before.
It has not affected our towing, either.

OP
OP
G

GHOSTDODGE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
how much do i cut ? has some one done a thread on this?

jay c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out McGaughys, they have a kit for a 2" rear drop.

Team Destrucktive

atmotocrosser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the mcgaughys 2" rear lowering springs on my 13 reg cab express. Looks great and cost me $200 directly from them. I will be selling my springs soon since I'll be going with the ground force 2/3 drop kit :)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

GHOSTDODGE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I used the mcgaughys 2" rear lowering springs on my 13 reg cab express. Looks great and cost me $200 directly from them. I will be selling my springs soon since I'll be going with the ground force 2/3 drop kit :)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when you do let me know....i would be interested...:head3:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't speak to the quality of the McGoughy's springs, but a friend local to me put the GF 2" kit on the rear of his truck, then chnaged his springs out to my old cut stockers to get a better ride quality.
Just saying.
As for how much to cut, start with less than you think (a full coil) and go from there. It's s fast and easy to raise the rear up, remove the springs and cut a little more, you can keep cutting 1/4 of a coil off until you get it where you want it.
PLUS, it will allow you to level the truck. Go measure your distances atall four corners from ground to fender lip. I bet neither the front nor rear are the same. Cutting will allow you to level that out too.

OP
OP
G

GHOSTDODGE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I can't speak to the quality of the McGoughy's springs, but a friend local to me put the GF 2" kit on the rear of his truck, then chnaged his springs out to my old cut stockers to get a better ride quality.
Just saying.
As for how much to cut, start with less than you think (a full coil) and go from there. It's s fast and easy to raise the rear up, remove the springs and cut a little more, you can keep cutting 1/4 of a coil off until you get it where you want it.
PLUS, it will allow you to level the truck. Go measure your distances atall four corners from ground to fender lip. I bet neither the front nor rear are the same. Cutting will allow you to level that out too.

thanks,i will try this....

OP
OP
G

GHOSTDODGE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
i looked today under my ram and it does not have a rear stabilizer bar..do some trucks come without this?:help:

12_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the McGaughys springs for my truck, got around to installing them this past weekend and wasn't impressed for one the springs were the exact same height as my stock springs. So I figured maybe they were wound different and not as stiff as factory. Wrong! Put them in and my truck sit just as high as it did with my factory springs! Emailed McGaughy's they didn't have a straight answer and now won't even respond, so therefore I ended up just cutting 3/4 of a coil off their springs and it sits good for me about an inch higher in the rear which i'm okay with. Had I known I was going to have to do that I would of saved myself $200 and just cut my stock ones!!!!

OP
OP
G

GHOSTDODGE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I bought the McGaughys springs for my truck, got around to installing them this past weekend and wasn't impressed for one the springs were the exact same height as my stock springs. So I figured maybe they were wound different and not as stiff as factory. Wrong! Put them in and my truck sit just as high as it did with my factory springs! Emailed McGaughy's they didn't have a straight answer and now won't even respond, so therefore I ended up just cutting 3/4 of a coil off their springs and it sits good for me about an inch higher in the rear which i'm okay with. Had I known I was going to have to do that I would of saved myself $200 and just cut my stock ones!!!!

thanks bro..i will cut them...it seems that its the best way to do them,,,

12_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say 1 full coil will get you close to the 2". I cut a half the first time and it wasn't enough for me and then a 1/4 the 2nd time and its about right if I wanted to go a little more I could cut the other 1/4 off and it'd set perfectly level I think. I left it about an inch higher in the rear incase i'm towing something or hauling something in the bed it wouldn't set low in the ass

Ceace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say 1 full coil will get you close to the 2". I cut a half the first time and it wasn't enough for me and then a 1/4 the 2nd time and its about right if I wanted to go a little more I could cut the other 1/4 off and it'd set perfectly level I think. I left it about an inch higher in the rear incase i'm towing something or hauling something in the bed it wouldn't set low in the ass

What did you use to cut the spring? I really want to lower my rear without haVing to buy a set of springs. I have a grinder. That should work.

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk

12_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did you use to cut the spring? I really want to lower my rear without haVing to buy a set of springs. I have a grinder. That should work.

I used a cut off wheel on my small air grinder worked just fine.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4" grinder with a nice new, thin cutoff wheel. About 30 seconds per side, a shot of black spray paint and you're gold.

OP
OP
G

GHOSTDODGE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum

cool..thanks again...will try as soon as have some time...

-Arana-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use to have the McG 2 in drop and it did level but i wanted to go lower so i sold them and now i have a 2/4 belltech drop

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I used the Ground Force 2" leveling kit, 30 minute install.

Ceace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cool..thanks again...will try as soon as have some time...

Let us know how it turns out. I am really conSidering cutting off maybe 1/2 a coil to see how it turns out.