Help......Amp Step issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1 week ago my drivers side step came down and never went back up, due to lack of time situation I couldn't look at it till now. Last night I crawled under the truck just to look and see if everything looked ok and it did, I unplugged the wire hooked to the retractor and nothing happened. This morning I came out to go somewhere and the step had retracted to the closed position and now it don't come down, none of the lights are lit on the drivers side as well as the retractor motor is very warm. The passenger side works fine and lights work. I have had these on my truck for 2 1/2 years.
Just wondering if anyone had similar issue and was able to solve it. Thanks for your time

ivey_usmc

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1st look to see of the step is stuck behind the pinchweld. If you can pull it down it will need some adjustments. ( jumping up and down on the step) I've heard of that before. I've had my amp on for 20k and no issues so far. If that doesn't work remove the 3 bolts and take out the motor and run direct power to it to see if it cycles. Keep us updated

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Old thread but thought I would post my issue as well. Bought the steps in October so they are 4 months old at this point. They have been working flawless up to this point.
Yesterday my passenger step went down and did not go back up. Drivers side works fine.
Checked all connections and they look good. Put a multi meter on the connector at the passenger motor and it's only getting a voltage when I open the door (too lower) and nothing when I close the door or use the manual switch to raise it. Looks like a bad controller to me but waiting for the west coast to wake up so I call them.
Will update when I find a solution.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Old thread but thought I would post my issue as well. Bought the steps in October so they are 4 months old at this point. They have been working flawless up to this point.
Yesterday my passenger step went down and did not go back up. Drivers side works fine.
Checked all connections and they look good. Put a multi meter on the connector at the passenger motor and it's only getting a voltage when I open the door (too lower) and nothing when I close the door or use the manual switch to raise it. Looks like a bad controller to me but waiting for the west coast to wake up so I call them.
Will update when I find a solution.

Had a similar issue with mine. They sent me a new control module and I was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Had a similar issue with mine. They sent me a new control module and I was good.

How long did it take them to ship you a new module?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just got off the phone with them. Like I suspected they said failed controller. Sent them my info now just have to wait for a replacement.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long did it take them to ship you a new module?

I had like two emails back and fourth (one with my complaint, their response, me sending my receipt of purchase, them sending email said my new unit was being sent out)

Think I had it in like 5 days.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had like two emails back and fourth (one with my complaint, their response, me sending my receipt of purchase, them sending email said my new unit was being sent out)

Think I had it in like 5 days.

Thanks, they actually just responded and said the order was put in to send me a replacement. Hopefully this was just a fluke and not a sign of things to come. I've only had them for 4 months.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My controller has never been an issue since.

That being said I need to trouble shoot why my steps are stuck down and essentially only lift like an inch when I close my doors.

I’m worried my motors or their gears are messed up from Chicagoland winters and salt... hope not. But if they are I may just remove amp steps and go with Go Rhino RB20 or Magnum RTs so they hug the truck body.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really hope I don't jinx myself here but I've had mine for about 7 years with no issues, aside from the finish flaking off one step. And I'm in the salt belt. The motors are always coated with Krown/Fluid Film so not sure if that helps...

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Really hope I don't jinx myself here but I've had mine for about 7 years with no issues, aside from the finish flaking off one step. And I'm in the salt belt. The motors are always coated with Krown/Fluid Film so not sure if that helps...

Ya. I wonder if I should have been doing that. When I asked them. They said it wasn’t needed...

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just wanted to update. Received the new controller today. Pulled the fused and swapped it out ....and nothing works now. :mad:
Put the old controller back in and still nothing (not even the drivers side that worked before).

Checked that I had power at the connectors and I did. Checked the pins and nothing recessed. Called tech support and they said if I don't hear an "arc" when putting the fuse in then there is a connection problem.
Tried to seat the pins multiple times and still nothing. Then the driver side started working again. Played with it some more and finally both are working again.
There were no visible recessed pins nothing seemed loose. I'm curious if this issue will pop up again. Seems like the pins barely mate with each other.