Help for the new guy,plz! Gotta noise/vibration problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIsteveical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi! My name is Steve,and I'm new! :shake:

My truck is an 07 Ram Hemi QC 4X4 Sport. Lately I've developed a sound and feel from the driver's front that's like having a big knobby tire up there. Tires rotated and balanced, they're a year old, no shake or pull.

It becomes noticeable at about 20 mph and stays there on up. Throwing it in neutral doesn't make it go away. Truck's at 45,000 miles. Has not had any diff or T/C work. The CV joints move side to side a little bit (about 1/2") when I shake them with my hand,on both sides. There is no clicking on turns,but when I go around big curves on the highway,I can hear and feel a faint thump thump thump thump from the driver's wheel area.

So,to clarify: Constant knobby-tire like grind or whine from the front driver's side, always there, nothing I can do while driving changes anything, except it also has the slight "out-of-round" thumping when I go through curves to the......left,I think. And it's not the tires. I did raise and spin the driver's wheel by hand, but it sounds normal to me.

Thanks for the help!

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Had the exact same thing las fall. Turned out to be the left front wheel bearing. Maybe check that. If that turns out to be it mine was dealer only (2005) and I needed to get the one with the wire plug for the abs (witch I don't have) so the CC would work. I think 07 is the same.

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
do you sill have the Goodyears on there?? if so..they are trash..they will develop terrable wear patterns and may develop busted belt...get rid of them asap.

OP
OP
HEMIsteveical

HEMIsteveical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys. No,I have Cooper Discoverer ATRs,I think. What the best way to check a wheel bearing? Maybe I should take the brake pads off to check it better.

mcamzr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you can pull the front wheels and pads and rotors off spin it real slow by hand. It should make a little grinding noise.