Help! I need your opinion on muffler upgrade!...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2017RamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright guys so I want to get a different muffler... I've been doing some research and I think I like the sound of either a Magnaflow 24 inch or Borla Pro XS. My reasoning is that I daily my truck and I don't want anything to loud. Don't get me wrong, I do like the sound of loud exhaust systems but I don't want to wake the neighbors, kids, or **** off the wife. I'd like something that is slightly louder than stock but more importantly has that nice deep sound (no drone) and lets the Hemi sound more like it should without going nuts. I also like the sound of the Carven Progressive but have heard those are pretty loud as well?

Bottom line though is any feedback on this would be appreciated! Especially those who are in the same boat as me and went with something a little better than stock but didn't want to be heard 2 blocks away. Any input or thoughts/comparisons on the above mufflers or any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put the Flowmaster FLOW FX Direct Bolt On muffler on mine a few weeks ago. Keeping the factory resonators eliminates any drone. Been very happy with it. Better than stock without being obnoxious.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I ran Magnaflow systems on my 2007 MegaCab and 2006 300C SRT8 for years. I also installed a Magnaflow on my 2014 CC 2500. I liked the tone a lot in all three systems. Just a nice low burble when cruising and when you got on it you knew something was going on under the hood.

I'd recommend you keep the resonators you already have and replace the stock muffler with a Magnaflow. Keeping the resonators will help keep drone out of the system and make your cruising a lot more comfortable.

My MegaCan had a single in/single out stock setup. I installed a Magnaflow with a single in/dual out arrangement and had new pipes built with new tips.

13148.png

e08.jpg

e09.jpg

e10.jpg

e15.jpg

MegaCan Video:

2014 CC 2500 in-cab WOT video:

The SRT8 on the dyno:

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've said it before when people ask on here, Pypes muffler kit. Stainless, priced right and sounds amazing. Not too loud and a really nice tone. My buddy has it on his and gets compliments often.

wespentecost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alright guys so I want to get a different muffler... I've been doing some research and I think I like the sound of either a Magnaflow 24 inch or Borla Pro XS. My reasoning is that I daily my truck and I don't want anything to loud. Don't get me wrong, I do like the sound of loud exhaust systems but I don't want to wake the neighbors, kids, or **** off the wife. I'd like something that is slightly louder than stock but more importantly has that nice deep sound (no drone) and lets the Hemi sound more like it should without going nuts. I also like the sound of the Carven Progressive but have heard those are pretty loud as well?

Bottom line though is any feedback on this would be appreciated! Especially those who are in the same boat as me and went with something a little better than stock but didn't want to be heard 2 blocks away. Any input or thoughts/comparisons on the above mufflers or any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys!
If money is not tight, consider a cutout. I had a cutout on my 6.4 2500, sounded great, but if I do it again, i will put a second cutout to close off the downstream side of the factory exhaust. A single cutout still has flow going both ways.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
2017RamGuy

2017RamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it! I hadn't checked out the Pypes or considered a cutout so thanks for those ideas! BTW Maddog your silver RAM looks sick!

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had all kinds of muffler systems on all kinds of cars and trucks. I recently put a Carven Progressive on my 2018. When it first starts up and cold it is a bit loud. No complaints from the neighbors yet. After a few minutes it is much quieter. I really like the way it sounds, especially if I get a little heavy footed on the accelerator. Nicely quiet when cruising on the highway!

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm with Buddy on the Pypes kit, it was my first setup, no drone, deep sound, but wasnt loud enough for me. Sounds better than magnaflow and doesnt have the drone the 18 inch magnaflow had.

OP
OP
2017RamGuy

2017RamGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again for the feedback guys!

~Lonestar, to put things in perspective how would you rank the Carven loudness compared to a Magnaflow 14 or 18 inch?

~Buddy and About, quick question on the Pypes kit?... Are you guys referring to the Pypes Violator muffler? Thanks!

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, an 18 inch violator muffler comes with the kit. 3 inch offset, dual 2.5 inch outlets