HELP - I put washer fluid in the battery fill reservoir

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRANSMITTERGUY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did the same thing last month, wasn't paying attention. Stuck the shop vac down in with a small tube on it and sucked it all out. refilled with coolant.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I was 16, I put antifreeze in my grand am's washer fluid reservoir in winter... Couldn't see for ****. But hey, I had never seen a round antifreeze bottle before, so I didn't think to look and make sure it was washer fluid lol

Dspud2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel 6.7
Not sure why Chrysler decided it was a good idea to make the fill tanks look the way they do. I made the same mistake. I filled the coolant up on my town and country with washer fluid. It’s water and alcohol, the alcohol should evaporate pretty quickly and the water should dilute in with everything else.

That being said, I’m getting a check engine light on the town and country 40k miles later now telling me my thermostat is sticking open and needs replaced, not sure if that’s related or not but I only have 60k miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
According to my owners manual the 5.7l takes 18.3 qts of coolant which is 585.6 ounces. The 6 ounces you put in is 1% of the total. Now the overflow tank doesn't completely flow out with other coolant. It just allows expansion into it when hot & suck a little back when cold so unless you cycled hot/cold many times, most of the washer fluid is still in the tank. Average washer fluid ( good to -10f) is 28% methanol so that means you added 1/4% of total in methanol to the 18.3qts. Doubt that would cause a water pump failure or sludge buildup. That said if it makes you sleep better, flush it. But you can probably get away with draining the tank & topping it with new antifreeze.

qwikz74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had some light blue spray paint in my garage and painted the washer fluid cap, the way most vehicles have it, Looks factory too, not sure why they thought it was a good idea to have both caps in yellow?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The bean counters strike again!!!!!
Jay

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Almost did the same thing . Saw the yellow cap and I was going to add fluid there and then caught myself.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Could be worse, if you put antifreeze in your windshield washer and sprayed it while driving down the highway....
:jawdrop:

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
windshield washier fluid is water and methanol. not necessarily water and alcohol.

Methanol definitely has different chemical properties than alcohol.

Methanol is highly corrosive, which is why you don't want it in your radiator!!!!!!