Help installing Bilstein 5100s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Putting together new struts for my truck with 5100s, my oem coils, and new top mounts. Is it normal for the top mounts and coils to sit this cockeyed? Looks kinda sketchy.

IMG_8110.jpeg

IMG_8109.jpeg

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Look up inside your strut tower. Idk definitively about the rams but I've seen in some cars where they aren't perfectly perpendicular and when you mount everything you have to make sure to put it in the correct orientation.

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
it may be late to respond to this but when i did mine there was a certain way they went in. it wasn't that much of an angle but there was a bit of one.

OP
OP
B

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies, forgot to update this thread. As @crazykid1994 told me in another thread, this is apparently normal. Once installing in the truck with the bushing at the top sandwiched against the upper strut mount on the frame, they are perfectly straight and rides great.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Putting together new struts for my truck with 5100s, my oem coils, and new top mounts. Is it normal for the top mounts and coils to sit this cockeyed? Looks kinda sketchy.

View attachment 527096

View attachment 527097
Yes and no. Some can get a little wonky by the way the spring is compressed. Once the weight of the truck is on them it won’t effect it as long as the top nut is all the way tight and torqued to 35 ft lbs

The Lowest coil ring should be on the engine side when installed that will make sure your coils are clocked (indexed) properly
Post a picture of how many threads are exposed on the top strut nut

OP
OP
B

Bits

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Quick_Shifter theres a small hole in the lower perch, should that be on the outside (away from engine) or inside (facing engine)? Currently I have it on the inside but now I’m second guessing myself

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@Quick_Shifter theres a small hole in the lower perch, should that be on the outside (away from engine) or inside (facing engine)? Currently I have it on the inside but now I’m second guessing myself
Pictures say 1000 words

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pictures say 1000 words
Also interested to know this. I have the updated 5100s that come with the lower perch instead of reusing the oem perch. Both the provided perch and the old oem perch have the little hole but it’s not in the same place as you can see

IMG_8369.jpeg

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The hole is not what gets indexed. A good method to follow is that the lowest part of the spring should face the engine.