Help Needed-OEM Mopar backup cam install issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So... I'm aware this topic had been discussed at great length in many threads but I've Googled every possible thing I can think of, searched every Dodge, RAM, Chrysler forum I can find without finding anything that helps explain my situation or offer a solution. I've even read all 146 pages of this thread http://www.ramforum.com/threads/installing-oem-backup-cam.53505/page-31, but most of it deals with the '13-up trucks.

I got a great deal on a new, OEM Mopar backup camera kit (p/n 82211184) and installed it last weekend on my 2011 1500 2wd SLT Quadcab with OEM towing package (7-pin connector and trailer brake). I followed the instructions to the letter.

- disconnected positive at the battery
- installed tailgate harness, camera and supplied harness to the TIPM
- identified the correct wire for the reverse light circuit (C5, Pin 15, WT/RD), spliced and soldered the WT/LG wire from the kit (without cutting the OEM wire)
- grounded at the fender
- installed the camera feed and ground to the RBZ radio C3 connector, pins 3, 4 & 5
- had dealer flash the XAC sales code and verified that thethe cam is selected and enabled

Now, here's the issue. I have no reverse lights and the radio displays a black screen and the check surroundings warning when shifted into reverse. There are no blown fuses, for the M31 B/U light circuit or any other circuit. I've triple-checked all the connectors and looked for loose/bent pins.

What am I missing? A bad relay? Could the bus be disabling the circuit for any reason? Should I de-pin #15 reverse circuit from the C5 connector and apply 12v from the battery to see if the reverse lights come on and the camera gets power?

I'm considering un-soldering the power splice at the TIPM and using the reverse light circuit back at the 7-pin trailer connector and grounding to the frame near the tailgate.

Any help or insight to anything I might have omitted or overlooked would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Ramtruck16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may need to have the dealer recheck the camera setting on the pcm/tipm, you need to find out why your backup lights arent working.. possible bad switch? Bad camera could be a possibility as well. Good luck

OP
OP
sparky300

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks.

Possible, but unlikely. I had the issue after I made the power connection and before I took it to the dealer to update the XAC sales code. If I disconnect the tailgate harness from the body harness and unplug the C1 connector at the radio I still have no reverse lights but everything else in the truck still works. The only thing that remains different is the camera power wire connected to the WT/RD at the TIPM.

My only thought is to undo everything I've done and see what happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sparky300

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I've disconnected the power wire to the cam harness from the reverse light circuit at the TIPM. Still no reverse lights. Next I attempted a soft TIPM reset. No codes, no reverse lights. Currently attempting a hard reset/capacative discharge of the TIPM for a few hours.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Ramtruck16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've disconnected the power wire to the cam harness from the reverse light circuit at the TIPM. Still no reverse lights. Next I attempted a soft TIPM reset. No codes, no reverse lights. Currently attempting a hard reset/capacative discharge of the TIPM for a few hours.

Fingers crossed.

Sometimes unhooking the battery will reset the computer, however the worst case scenerio is that your pcm/tipm may be faulty. I know a friend who tried to pin in an accessory fuse on the tipm on his 12' Ram and it somehow fried the whole thing.. i hope your outcome is better than his... try checking for voltage at the taillights, that will tell you if they are getting even slight voltage and then work you way back to the fuse block..

OP
OP
sparky300

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, it's a no-go on the hard reset. Had the pos/neg tie-wrapped together for 3 hours, still no reverse lights.

try checking for voltage at the taillights, that will tell you if they are getting even slight voltage and then work you way back to the fuse block..

No voltage at the reverse lights when in reverse. I did un-pin the #15 from the C5 connector while I had the battery disconnected and apply 12v, reverse lights came on.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Double check the pinouts on the radio connector, I fought with this also and took a pic when I had it working. If I remember correctly, pin #1 actually wasn't the first small slot. This is a shot looking down at the back of the radio, (turn it clockwise 90 degrees for the original angle i took it from). If you need to move it, the white plastic harness plug has a locking tab that is removed by simply lifting it up and out of the plug. (not as easy as it sounds). Wires can then be pulled back out of their cavity

CameraCoonect.jpg

OP
OP
sparky300

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You fought with which part? The no back up cam part or the no reverse lights part?

Yep, I checked those about 6 times also. No continuity between conductors and they're correctly landed in pins 3, 4, 5 as identified on both the connector and the C1 port in the radio.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
My apologies for not being clear, I fought with the no backup cam part - never did check the reverse lights. Good luck tracing this down

OP
OP
sparky300

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No worries, I appreciate the help regardless.

I've no power to the 7-pin connector back up light either, but I'm not surprised since it's color coded the same as the reverse ights anyways, WT/RD.

It appears my next option is to take it to the stealer and have them look for any related codes and try to clear them. Looks like my bargain OEM back up cam just doubled in price but I guess if it turns out that the TIPM is bad and has to be replaced now it'll prevent a breakdown due to a fuel pump relay or a complete failure at an inconvenient time.

OP
OP
sparky300

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Struggling with how to proceed from here. I have 3 options.

1. Have the dealer reflash the PCM/TIPM in an attempt to unstick the issue with the reverse light relay at a cost of $120

2. Buy a new Mopar TIPM at a cost of $500-600 depending where I get it, even then I may get the same issue down the road or the dreaded fuel pump relay failure

3. Purchase a reman TIPM with all 7 upgraded relays and fully load-tested boards for $400 from these guys https://www.totalintegratedpowermodule.com/ Anyone have any experience with them?

OP
OP
sparky300

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, here I am 3 weeks later and good news. I sent my TIPM to Mak's for testing and repair, if possible. They received it on Tuesday afternoon and Friday morning I got a call from them to confirm what issues I was having and work to be performed. At that time they had already disassembled the TIPM and concluded that indeed the fuel pump and reverse light relays were near complete failure and 2 other relays were weak. They completed the repairs that day and shipped it immediately. I received it via USPS the following Tuesday (Monday was Memorial Day) and I can report that my reverse cam and lights are now completely functional! Total down time for the TIPM repair for my truck was 9 days from ship to return and that included a holiday.

I highly recommend these guys for any TIPM issues anyone may have and especially if your truck is one of the models affected with the fuel pump relay failure.