Help with HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I bought a 55w HID kit from innovited on Amazon back in December. My truck came with halogen bulbs but programmed it with AOBD. Installed the HID kit with no issues.

Two weeks ago the passenger side light started to work intermittently. Swapped the bulb to the driver side and it still wouldn’t fire so I put it back in on the passenger side and all of a sudden it worked again.

Contacted the manufacturer and they sent a new bulb and ballast. I put in the new ballast and it worked fine for a week, but now won’t fire this morning.

I’ll swap the bulb this evening and see if that helps. Is there a way to test the ballast also?

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Don't think a ballast is repairable, just replace it again.
Haven't had problems with my HYB 55W ballasts, but I didn't mess with Alfa, as the HYBs are CANBUS safe.
Have read quite a few negative reviews on Innovited which is why I chose HYB.

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I don’t want to repair the ballast, just test to see if it’s working properly.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Swap the ballasts between the driver and passenger sides, that will narrow down if it's a ballast or truck issue. When testing, the lights will act differently when the engine is running.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Crash68 gave you the best test method.

I was having the same problem. Took a ballast out, shook it, and could hear water sloshing inside. Of my 4 "sealed" 55w ballasts 2 had water inside. I assume from the car wash. Replaced them under warranty and no problems since.

This caused me to check wire connections and sure enough, had a couple beginning to corrode. Replaced them as well, using silicon grease on the plugs.

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
@crash68 @John Jensen

So I took it apart this afternoon and found corrosion on the electrical connectors. In the process of trying to clean them, I broke one of the tabs.

How/where do I find a replacement? I looked on autozone’s website briefly and didn’t find what I was looking for.

d766ac613d56738365ad30f64422c2f0.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it's the socket going to the headlight bucket itself, you need a replacement H13 bulb socket. For the low beam bulb for the quads it's a 9011 bulb socket. You can find them online or at well stocked auto parts stores

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@crash68 @John Jensen

So I took it apart this afternoon and found corrosion on the electrical connectors. In the process of trying to clean them, I broke one of the tabs.

How/where do I find a replacement? I looked on autozone’s website briefly and didn’t find what I was looking for.

d766ac613d56738365ad30f64422c2f0.jpg
I'd see if they are under warranty from the seller if it's on the innovited side. When they send the new ones, fill the connections with dielectric grease before connecting.

I had the same thing happen to a set of morimoto LED fog lights.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

lowufo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Personally I would put some dielectric grease in there and then put a couple wraps of black electrical tape on problem solved.

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I was able to get it fixed last night. I replaced the factory plug on the driver side and had to replace the headlight plug on the passenger side.

One odd thing...I didn’t touch the bulb on the driver side but when I turned them on last night, there’s no cutoff line, there’s an upward curve where the cutoff should be. Almost like the bike has been turned upside down. I’ll have to figure it out tonight.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was able to get it fixed last night. I replaced the factory plug on the driver side and had to replace the headlight plug on the passenger side.

One odd thing...I didn’t touch the bulb on the driver side but when I turned them on last night, there’s no cutoff line, there’s an upward curve where the cutoff should be. Almost like the bike has been turned upside down. I’ll have to figure it out tonight.
Possible the bulb isn't seated properly.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm glad you found the problems and also a way to fix 'em. Can't help you on the cutoff line change, never heard of that. Perhaps you didn't wire the new plug correctly.

OP
OP
B

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Possible the bulb isn't seated properly.

I'm glad you found the problems and also a way to fix 'em. Can't help you on the cutoff line change, never heard of that. Perhaps you didn't wire the new plug correctly.

haha - so when I wired up the new pigtail, I wired it backwards. The high beam had constant power on the driver side :doh2: