Help with new sub decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

countrygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys I've got Kicker Comp R 12" subs. While they do ok and would be fine for most people i want more bass but also be able to handle more bass at longer sessions daily. These get warm to fast with my Cv1200 kicker amp. I've seen tests on this amp showing it does rated so I know I'm getting 1200 watts and I think it's just too much for these subs. Still I'm not happy with the output.

So I've picked out a few possible replacements. I'm using a ported fox box but wouldn't be Appleseed to changing and building my own ported out of fiberglass.

The possibles are Rockford Fosgate P3 12", Sundown Audio E-12 V3 or SA-12, and DC audio level 2 12". The DC's use a lot less air space at 1.25 ft3, have a double stacked magnet and 22 cm of excursion. The punches require 1.75 which I don't have as well as the Sundown E-12. The Sa-12's require as little as 1.5 which I have 1.55 in the fox box per side. All are rated right around the same except for the sundown sa subs and I've heard they can do up to twice what there rated. So what do you guys suggest?

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Price ranges from $130 a sub to $215 a sub.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive been running Aline Type Rs in my Foxbox for 4 years with an Alpine 1000D ( 1158 watts on birth sheet ) and they havent yet missed a beat.

1200W is peak anyways, the subs rarely see it.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the p3 is what i call an entry level sub just like your kicker.

what kind of music do you listen to? what is your budget?

best advice i would give is go to shops around you and see what they have and listen. what someone may recommend on here may not sound all that good to you

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Out of your list, I'd choose the SA12 with your fox box. They're a nice sub with plenty of output, but they can sound fairly musical as well. I like them for their price point. The DC subs are really nice too, but I've never heard them so I can't comment any further....guys love them tho.
Off your list, I'd choose the Arc Audio Black 12 if you can afford them. Good output, but they're very musical, can be gentle when necessary, dig VERY deep. In a fox box they sound really good (I run two black 12's)
The Blacks will not loosen your fillings with sheer output, that's not what they're designed for....they are a sound quality sub so they reproduce your sub frequencies most accurately and sound great. If your looking for massive amounts of dry sounding boom boom...look elsewhere

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also what kind of music are you playing cause there is a good chance you are playing below tuning of the fox box and that's pretty rough on subs as well.

scotts2012ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd say go sundown e12 or sa12 more on the sa side. I've got two e10s in a fox ported box and love them. Planing to replace them with sa10s and put the e10s in my girls car

OP
OP
C

countrygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say go sundown e12 or sa12 more on the sa side. I've got two e10s in a fox ported box and love them. Planing to replace them with sa10s and put the e10s in my girls car

Thanks you made my decision. If your upgrading than I would probably want to too.

Buying one 12" sa12 tomorrow of a member here brand new. Then I'll get the other later.

Hopefully sell my 12's and old box with the 600 watt kicker amp and pay for it all.

iwon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run a set of jl 10tw3's in a custom box i designed and they are fantastic for all types of music.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

countrygunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well for one of my subs in and couldn't wait. So I installed it in place of one of the CompR subs.

It's a sundown SA-12 and I knew it was a stronger sub but I honestly didn't think it'd make any difference with only one. Well I was wrong. It is brand new and still beats down. It's a lot louder sub that the CompR and handles the power a lot better. Bass is definately louder and more pronounce with just one sub. Can't wait to get the other sub in.

I've got a kicker cs-1200.1 amp I'm going to run on the two and at even 600 watts this sub is a beast compared to the CompR subs. Also the sub weighs about 30 lbs and actually helps weigh the box down more and it sounds better with less vibration.

I'm really impressed with these subs. For $209 a piece they are worth the money. I gave $150 a sub for the CompR subs. So well worth $60 more a sub.

Only problem I'm going to run into is if I want more power, as these subs can take 1000 watts easy I've been told, is these are dual 2 ohm subs. Which only lets me run two at 2 ohm or .5 ohm.. All the better high end amps get their most power at 1 ohm and most aren't warrantied at .5 ohm. So I may go back with a kicker cxa1800.1 amp. We'll see.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Could run an amp per sub. I have a jbl msa5001 pushing a sundown sa10 @ 2ohms nicely. Compact amp, dyno'd @ over 600 watts for under $200. Stupid easy set up. Digital screen. No complaints from me.