Help with subs - Ground Zero amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah JL really optimized the internal coil/ magnet motor design. Wish I had the airspace for 2, had to use a 3/4” mdf ring and shim the seats 1/2” so the toddler seats don’t rub the surround :D Heavy weight in the radiator really emphasizes the low lows.
JL Audio has been making great subwoofers for a long time. I'd had so many I may have lost count. I bought a 12W1 back in 1992 or 93, since then I've had two 10W1's, two 10W3's, two 10W0's, I have two 10W1v3's in my Magnum and a 12TW1 powered sub for my truck.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
JL Audio has been making great subwoofers for a long time. I'd had so many I may have lost count. I bought a 12W1 back in 1992 or 93, since then I've had two 10W1's, two 10W3's, two 10W0's, I have two 10W1v3's in my Magnum and a 12TW1 powered sub for my truck.

It’s a competitive market, amazing how many people enjoy Low frequency sound in their commuter vehicle. Love my occasional back massages while waiting on a woman.

They have elite sound and production engineering so you’ll pay for the R&D, but still so many small businesses are attempting to make a cheaper/better woofer.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s a competitive market, amazing how many people enjoy Low frequency sound in their commuter vehicle. Love my occasional back massages while waiting on a woman.

They have elite sound and production engineering so you’ll pay for the R&D, but still so many small businesses are attempting to make a cheaper/better woofer.

No doubt there are many other good options. My first sub, before the 12W1, was an Kicker C10, from around 1990. I've had a Diyma 12, not known by most people. and a Resonant Engineering (RE Audio) SE12. That was a great sub that could take a beating.

I think with JL, you may not always get the best subwoofer in its price range, but you'll never get a bad one.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am switching the rest of the speakers out and replacing them with Ground Zero RC 165.2 components and powering them with a Sound Digital 800.4s EVO
Not familiar with those speakers but on paper this should be a pretty solid system. I would still recommend dual 10s. My son had a single Kicker Comp in a small (.65 I think) box running at 4 ohms (dual 2ohm speaker) off of a Eclipse XA1000 monoblock. Thing was stupid loud. Probably louder than my single 12" Comp VR @ 2ohms. I had that speaker in a JL Audio stealth box in my '98 Club Cab running on Kicker amp. Loved that setup. Full range were Infinity 2-ways (6x9 front doors and 5.25 in the back cab) running on a Pioneer head unit. Could listen to that system for hours and never tire the ears.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mjscharlotte

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Not familiar with those speakers but on paper this should be a pretty solid system. I would still recommend dual 10s. My son had a single Kicker Comp in a small (.65 I think) box running at 4 ohms (dual 2ohm speaker) off of a Eclipse XA1000 monoblock. Thing was stupid loud. Probably louder than my single 12" Comp VR @ 2ohms. I had that speaker in a JL Audio stealth box in my '98 Club Cab running on Kicker amp. Loved that setup. Full range were Infinity 2-ways (6x9 front doors and 5.25 in the back cab) running on a Pioneer head unit. Could listen to that system for hours and never tire the ears.

I heard the Ground Zero speakers a few weeks ago and really liked them and they have great reviews. Yeah, I think I am going to go with (2) 10"'s instead of 12"'s. Thanks for the input.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No problem. Keep us updated on the progress.

Mario Vic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys,
I have searched high and low for the answers and can't seem to find any. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab with the fold out rear floors. I want to remove the fold out floors and install a box under the rear seat. I ideally would like to have (2) 12" subwoofers - standard mount (not shallow). I plan on using either the Infinity Kappa 1200w or the Rockford Fosgate Power T1 subwoofers and power them with a Sound Digital 600.1d series amp. I've been looking for a box to go under the seat but can't seem to find any that'll work. I have my local audio shop looking at FoxBox and QPower but they are taking forever to be delivered. Any suggestions on box and/or any input on the Subwoofer/Amp set-up? Here are the links to the Subs and Amp for specs. I have no idea what i'mm looking at as far as how much volume is needed for each sub, needed wattage etc.. I listen to a very wide variety of music - Jazz, Country, R&B, Hard Rock and listen to it all LOUD. Any input is greatly appreciated - thanks everyone. I LOVE this Forum!!

https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/t1d212/

https://www.harmanaudio.com/car-subwoofers/KAPPA1200W.html

https://soundigitalusa.com/products/1200-1d-evo/

Chozen1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi
I have a 2017 sport with the alpine. I switched all factory speakers with kickers. Sounded good. Had the factory sub and wasnt enough. Made a fiberglass sub box and added the ifinity shallow 10"sub with audiotek and it sounded good. Wanted a little more bass and add the second 10" and was great. Neighbor was talking about an amp that was planet audio. I laughed at him and he gave it to me for my golf cart since i was going to add speakers and amp to it and saw that it was mono and just for ***** and grins I hooked it up to my system in my truck and the bass was better. It thumps in my truck and I cant put it louder cuz things will rattle and i dont like that but sounds great now. Sometimes its just preference. Some thing work for one and not others . but if you like the way its sounds then thats all that matters.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, not many 12" subs will work well in that small of an enclosure. I'd considered two 10's as mentioned. The JL Audio 12TW1 will work in that small of a space, but it is a shallow mount of sorts, and not really a high power handling monster. I'm going to be running a single 12TW1 in one of their powered enclosures in my single cab. I haven't completed the install, so I cannot comment on how much output you can get out of them.
12" p3d4 in my first time using fiberglass *ever* sealed boxes. Used bedliner, with no grit, to coat them. They are built to the almost exact volume specs given by rockford including the displacement of the sub itself (cause i don't run into many people who remember to include that in the math). I had a stealth box. What a joke. And my God! For the money , what a waste. I started out of simple curiosity and a personal bet that I could make a full size 12 fit on the 40% side and still sound good. Then the ultimate story of escalation began. Now its 2 x p3 12s off a rockford p1000x1bd. And an audiocontrol D6.1200 pushing the front infinity perfect 600 and 300M components in the front and kicker KS 6x9s in the back. All active crossovers through the audiocontrol amp. Including the RCA outs for the rockford sub amp.
If anyone is curious about the box build and specs it was pretty simple and very cheap. The trick to getting the box volume was building a "anti chamber" behind the seat and joining the two chambers together under the seat.
It was a crap shoot. I had no idea if it would work but the theory was good enough to give it a shot. And they pound hard!

16027844503067805359806108564977.jpg

16027844883557523507476405744766.jpg

20200120_042848.jpg

20200305_232426.jpg

Screenshot_20201015-111351_Photos.jpg

OP
OP
mjscharlotte

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Here's a question for the subwoofer box Gurus. I have decided that I am going to use the Soundigital 1600.1 amplifier and (2) 10" Sundown SD-4 shallow mount subwoofers. It didn't even occur to me that I need to decide whether I want a sealed or a ported box. According to Sundown's website their subwoofers need a sealed box but on some audio forums people say they sound terrible and should be put into a ported box. Has anyone used these subs and what type of box did you use? I am looking at the QPower bedliner box

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The JL Audio 10W1v3, is only 4.6" of mounting depth so only slightly deeper than the Sundown, but is not a "shallow mount" sub. I have two of them in my Dodge Magnum in a factory Challenger/Charger spare tire well enclosure, which is about .6ft3 per sub, and they sound great, running off of a Rockford Fosgate R750-1D. I've heard of other issues with the Sundown SD-4 in the past, like motor noise and even blown subs. I'd prefer the JL 10W1v3 for sure.

Edit: It was the SD-3 I heard about problems with. I believe the SD-4 is a newer model, so I don't know about those.

Last edited:

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
12" p3d4 in my first time using fiberglass *ever* sealed boxes. Used bedliner, with no grit, to coat them. They are built to the almost exact volume specs given by rockford including the displacement of the sub itself (cause i don't run into many people who remember to include that in the math). I had a stealth box. What a joke. And my God! For the money , what a waste. I started out of simple curiosity and a personal bet that I could make a full size 12 fit on the 40% side and still sound good. Then the ultimate story of escalation began. Now its 2 x p3 12s off a rockford p1000x1bd. And an audiocontrol D6.1200 pushing the front infinity perfect 600 and 300M components in the front and kicker KS 6x9s in the back. All active crossovers through the audiocontrol amp. Including the RCA outs for the rockford sub amp.
If anyone is curious about the box build and specs it was pretty simple and very cheap. The trick to getting the box volume was building a "anti chamber" behind the seat and joining the two chambers together under the seat.
It was a crap shoot. I had no idea if it would work but the theory was good enough to give it a shot. And they pound hard!

View attachment 224740

View attachment 224741

View attachment 224742

View attachment 224743

View attachment 224744

I've always wanted to do a sub enclosure in fiberglass, but never did. Your setup look good, creative use of the space.

Six8888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rhino box has done good prices. I got this when I emailed them for my 2019 Ram Classic Big Horn Crew Cab.

Check out these 2 models on our website
www.RHINOBASSBOX.com
DOG-212
DOG-213

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've looked into a rear underseat box for my RAM; best I can find are for dual 10s. Just not enough room for 12s and be able to still have a low end extension.

Currently I have a single 10" sub at 500w in a sealed box. It does well considering the limitation but anything below about 50hz just isn't there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank