Hemi Sounds on Redline Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

edit edit edit- for some reason the video quality is getting worse, I will try to get a better example when I can. I know many guys have heard it, there is no ticking.

A couple guys have asked me to do this so here you go, sorry it took so long. There is a little distortion but you can here just a normal engine cadence, no ticking.

I wish I would have done this before so you could have heard how bad the tick-knock was. It sounded similar to piston slap and was louder then my Cummins, and just by changing oil it is gone.

Last edited:

smokinstorm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've got 7 quarts of Redline getting ready to go in my truck at oil change time which hopefully will be next Monday when I'm off work. Thanks for posting this. I'm hoping the Redline is the best there is.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
if you are unsure about the oil, I be glad to drive to coast, have you change my oil in my hemi and use that redline oil.
i will tell you how it is lol

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Asking about "the best oil" is like asking about "the best tires", best speakers, best color, etc. Everyone's answer will be different, and there is no right answer.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Asking about "the best oil" is like asking about "the best tires", best speakers, best color, etc. Everyone's answer will be different, and there is no right answer.

I am pretty sure I have been real clear that there are many great synthetic oils out there, and I wished I tried something different first, maybe I could have saved some money and gotten the same results. But the absolute fact was this Hemi was knocking so loud it wasn't funny, and now it is not, and the only thing I did was change the oil. Just like 5 other guys on the forum who are enjoying a quieter valve train thanks to Redline. Besides the quieter valve train, there are other benefits from using group 5 oil over group 3 oil as well, I wont hash that up again but the information is out there. Anyhow, I just did this because I said I would when I was asked, so there ya go. I'm not too tech savoy, it took one my of nephews to say hey just use your webcam and download to youtube, lol. Maybe I will do it again if I can get a distortion free video, but it was pretty clear to me you can hear the engine.

A side note, all I ask is that anyone learn about lubrication and what is in their oil before calling it their "best". Come at me with some information why your oil is the best, other then my daddy and his daddy used this, or my big brother said this is the best so it must be so. Technology has led to many super lubricants, they work better then "dinosaur ****" and are proven. Look at a piston using group 5 oil after years on use compared to one using petroleum base, and then we can talk. There is nothing in the group 5 oil that can varnish your engine under normal operating temps, that is not the case with everything else you buy off the shelf that came from the ground.

Last edited:

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
My truck with around 4500 miles and O'Reillys 5W20 conventional sounds like this. Perhaps they get the tick with more miles I don't know... My LS motor in my G8 you can hear the injectors ticking, but not that cadence that I hear with the hemi.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My truck with around 4500 miles and O'Reillys 5W20 conventional sounds like this. Perhaps they get the tick with more miles I don't know... My LS motor in my G8 you can hear the injectors ticking, but not that cadence that I hear with the hemi.

I got my tick with 1200 miles on the truck, and it was a real bummer and real loud, just like the youtube videos out there on hemi tick. All is good now, hopefully it will last. 3500 miles on this oil change and so far so good. I think it is all about the luck of the draw on that, and I drew chit with these lifters. Probably made it worse that the truck sits a lot. Hopefully this is just one tool that can help guys combating this, other then just saying it is normal and carrying their tick like a badge of honor, lol.

It sounded something like this before I used redline, IMO mine was a little louder but kind of hard to judge real life versus video. I didn't feel comfortable recommending redline as a fix for hemi tick until I heard of all the other guys running it and having the success as well. Again, maybe it will or wont fix somebody's tick but there has been enough guys try it that it does have a very good success rate.

ultra2207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm gonna try redline next time. I've tried Mobil 1, Royal Purple and now pennzoil ultra. All three seemed to do ok but after a few miles the same old tick came back. This Rams bout to get turnt up on dat redline moly(bdenum).

sent via Tapatalk

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm gonna try redline next time. I've tried Mobil 1, Royal Purple and now pennzoil ultra. All three seemed to do ok but after a few miles the same old tick came back. This Rams bout to get turnt up on dat redline moly(bdenum).

sent via Tapatalk

Whenever you get around to it, do us a favor and let us know how it works either way good or bad, more info the better. Sorry to hear the Ultra didn't help, this will be great test to see if there is more ability in redline versus other top tier oils to combat this tick. Remember one thing, it took me a couple hundred miles before my valve train quieted to what it is now. Molly is a little slow at putting out, but when she gets there it is euphoric. You can try running a little marvelous mystery oil too, just drop some in now to see if it helps. That is actually the most popular oil additive among the oils guys, it is just a mild napethenic solvent and will do some light cleaning of your engine.

Last edited:

ultra2207

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alrighty I'll share my feedback. Not long ago I purchased another car as a daily driver so the Ram doesn't get driven much now so it'll be a while to be honest. I'll probably change it in the spring when it warms up outside.

sent via Tapatalk

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Real Happy with the Red-Line results. My LX Hemi is "Much quieter" than with Royal Purple, Castrol Edge, and Mobil 1 and no need for any other additives.

The Ram I just use Good "Ol Dyno Castrol GTX" 5w30 and which ever long Filter either Napa, or Wix, or Fram XG that's on Sale at the Time every 3 months regardless. At 165K Miles, no Leaks and no Oil Consumption (Thank-you Felpro-Valve seals). The Rams engine sounds about the same as Burlas.

That's about all I can say other than thanks for the Video, Next time I`m up at the Garage I`ll fire up the Magnum and record some Video for comparison of a Pre-eagle MDS Cammed Hemi Idle using Redline 5w20.

Last edited:

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Burla, I'm sure you know your stuff about your oil but I would not recommend using a oil that is not API certified. I know certification does not mean it is a good oil nor bad. Ram requires an API certified oil to meet their standards to be covered under warranty. If anyone has a warranty like I do, do not use an oil that does not meet their standards. It is b.s. to follow it, but as providing a warranty by law, they are also have the right under law to void or nullify any warranty for not following their requirements.

Therefore, I use royal purple 5w20. I had a 2001 trans am that burnt oil using pennz plat, Mobil 1, and even valvoline syn. I saw an episode of horsepower tv once and they were doing a test on royal purple. I was impressed and gave it a shot. My trans am never burned a single drop oil after the first oil change with royal purple. Since then I have been using royal purple.

There has also been tests using a load wear test between other oils like redline, amsoil and others. Royal purple blew them away.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Warranty Laws

A manufacturer would not only have to prove what oil you are running but also prove that that oil causes the failure to deny servicing it. So as you stated and noted, Group 4 and 5 oils are not API certified. An analogy would be like asking Joe Montana to pay a couple million dollars to certify himself as having the ability to play college ball. These companies don't pay for the cert because doing so would raise the price and lower the market, but the only way a manufacturer could get away with denying coverage is if you let them. A lot of guys are afraid of their own shadow when it comes to warranty, but magnuson moss punishes dealers who deny warranty service for a legit claim and they know it. In fact, no synthetic oil on record has ever been the cause of a warranty denial in all of the research I've done. If you have any information to the contrary that would be great, all info is good info. But at any rate, I use Redline.

We talked about this before?

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burla, I'm sure you know your stuff about your oil but I would not recommend using a oil that is not API certified. I know certification does not mean it is a good oil nor bad. Ram requires an API certified oil to meet their standards to be covered under warranty. If anyone has a warranty like I do, do not use an oil that does not meet their standards. It is b.s. to follow it, but as providing a warranty by law, they are also have the right under law to void or nullify any warranty for not following their requirements.

Therefore, I use royal purple 5w20. I had a 2001 trans am that burnt oil using pennz plat, Mobil 1, and even valvoline syn. I saw an episode of horsepower tv once and they were doing a test on royal purple. I was impressed and gave it a shot. My trans am never burned a single drop oil after the first oil change with royal purple. Since then I have been using royal purple.

There has also been tests using a load wear test between other oils like redline, amsoil and others. Royal purple blew them away.

You cant make statements like that without posting data to back it up. Where are these tests? Who performed them? What were the exact results?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's cool Razz, I'm sure there are many tests out there and I also saw that episode of HP and they used RP in all lube spots and gained 15 HP just by changing oil. I respect the guys choice in oil, I just posted this because I was asked to by a couple guys. We can battle in the synthetic thread :)

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You cant make statements like that without posting data to back it up. Where are these tests? Who performed them? What were the exact results?

It's called google and YouTube.

mangus2k13ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's cool Razz, I'm sure there are many tests out there and I also saw that episode of HP and they used RP in all lube spots and gained 15 HP just by changing oil. I respect the guys choice in oil, I just posted this because I was asked to by a couple guys. We can battle in the synthetic thread :)

I'm not battling. I am just suggesting not to misinform newbies who may not know about oil, certifications or warranty requirements.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For every test u could find stating RP blew away the competition, I could find a result showing otherwise. To many variables to make a claim like that. Like you said.......google it lol