Hemi Tick??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
My Low miles 05 LX Hemi with Milled Inertia Heads and good length push rods is a Hemi Ticker Champ when its warmed up, but My DD 14 Ram is the Quietist Hemi I have ever heard, I like it so much I decided to keep it Bone Stock (For Now). Danny

I agree 100% on the Quietest motor! This is my first Hemi and it is by far quieter then any motor I have ever owned. The response and power of this motor is awesome. {This might be aided by the beautiful 8HP70}! I only hope NONE of this changes once the motor reaches the 30K mile mark and beyond.

I do still have 1 can of Liqui-Moly MoS2 in the garage just in case she gets an attitude and chooses to become noisy one of these days.

I would love to have this 1500 with the 6.4L.

Last edited:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
IMO whatever oil quiets your tick the most is just a band-aid. The only way to get rid of it forever is to buy a 2500 5.7 that doesn't have MDS or swap the lifters for non-MDS and get custom tuning. Don't do it under warranty but at 36,001 the darn things would be in the dumpster if I owned a half ton.

The fuel MDS might save on the road is wasted in troubleshooting the tick and trips to the dealership for tick problems and collapsed lifters. Save fuel, let the engine run efficiently. :happy107:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
IMO whatever oil quiets your tick the most is just a band-aid. The only way to get rid of it forever is to buy a 2500 5.7 that doesn't have MDS or swap the lifters for non-MDS and get custom tuning. Don't do it under warranty but at 36,001 the darn things would be in the dumpster if I owned a half ton.

The fuel MDS might save on the road is wasted in troubleshooting the tick and trips to the dealership for tick problems and collapsed lifters. Save fuel, let the engine run efficiently. :happy107:

I agree this motor would be so much better without the MDS system! You can thank our government for this one. It is an amazing system but has it's faults.

I will though in the near future purchase a Diablo Trinity to aid with towing the Camper as well as disable the MDS. Yes I know the issue will still be there but the annoying drone and constant in then out in then out of the system engaging will be gone. {During in town driving}. Removing the whole system would be the final and last step if my lifters ever go bad and it will only do it once. I am only waiting for one of those dam solenoids to go bad.

OP
OP
M

metalfarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP here.
My goodness I had no clue I was opening up a 5 page can of worms.

SO what I'm gathering about all of this is get myself a Wix XP and if I don't want a tick then never start the truck and move it 3 feet and turn it off again cold and it'll probably never tick. And even if it does tick it's not a bad thing. Does that about sum it up???

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
OP here.
My goodness I had no clue I was opening up a 5 page can of worms.

SO what I'm gathering about all of this is get myself a Wix XP and if I don't want a tick then never start the truck and move it 3 feet and turn it off again cold and it'll probably never tick. And even if it does tick it's not a bad thing. Does that about sum it up???

Don't worry about it Mate! Every time an owner posts about a different Oil/Oil Viscosity/Oil Filter another 32oz Can comes flying out of the Cabinet. Happens every 24 hours. It's perfectly fine! Keeps the drama level up!

I don't have or do any of that and my 5.7L is remarkably quiet. One thing to remember no matter what anyone else says-->None of these 5.7L share the same attitude. Each and every one will react differently to changes of oil or filter. Some might be a result of the old Placebo Effect.

Try the XP filter with a good Top Name brand oil and see what she tells ya! Listen to her. Feel how she responds when you drive her. Once you find a combo that You and Her like-->Stay with it!

I used M1 since I was 16. I used AFE 0W-20 in my new Ram the first few OCI. I never had a tick but my 5.7L was not quiet. It gave me a knot in my stomach the size of a basketball the day I drained it and poured in PUP 5W-30. The second I started her up and let her idle for a few min. I was amazed at the difference. Now with the Combo I am running now-->It puts a huge smile on my face every time I start her and drive her. The Fram Ultra has been there since the first oil change. Once Again a Loud Shout out to Gena and Pennzoil for the 2 Free Cases of PUP 5W-30 & 2 Free UOA Kits.

I have been through the Ram Forum Roast a few times & at the end of the day My Oil/Oil Viscosity/Oil Filter choice have given me what most hear are still searching for.
But Most will say-->Don't Listen to SyN & Ignore his Posts. LoL! I Agree with Them!

Just don't be afraid to step outside that comfort zone! Ya just might find the winning golden ticket.

Last edited:

rezzy_85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I guess I have the hemi tick also. On start up you don't really hear it but when I put it in reverse I can hear it. This is just putting it in reverse with foot still on the brake. I'm thinking mine is more of an exhaust leak. Any opinions?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

rezzy_85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Oh and I just had the exhaust manifolds done like a week ago due to some broken bolts I found.

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
I guess I have the hemi tick also. On start up you don't really hear it but when I put it in reverse I can hear it. This is just putting it in reverse with foot still on the brake. I'm thinking mine is more of an exhaust leak. Any opinions?

I would lean toward an exhaust issue because it changes when you put it in reverse.

rezzy_85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would lean toward an exhaust issue because it changes when you put it in reverse.
That is what I'm leaning towards...

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Rezzy: I am VERY curious! Did you ask your service dept whom fixed your exhaust bolts--->What was the cause for this re-occurring issue? I am wondering if all the service depts who fix these issues put the blame on the same item.

OP
OP
M

metalfarm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP here....

Is this the Wix XP I'm looking for? Wix is saying yes eBay is saying no.

57060XP

soSincerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 1500 QC express
Engine
5.7 4x4 3.92 LSD
800 miles on mine and sometimes I'll get a very loud metallic rattle that only lasts for maybe 3 seconds or so, which to me sounds similar to starting a car after doing an oil change and the delay of oil getting to where it needs to be causes intake and / or exhaust timing solenoids to rattle. maybe the drainback valve isn't so reliable on the factory filter?

as far as the infamous hemi tick, mine is very quiet ... for now.

a tick that goes away as the engine warms up could very possibly be a leaking exhaust manifold and / or gasket. the nissan VK56 is notorious for this. you'd swear it was a rod bearing or something internal.

rezzy_85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Rezzy: I am VERY curious! Did you ask your service dept whom fixed your exhaust bolts--->What was the cause for this re-occurring issue? I am wondering if all the service depts who fix these issues put the blame on the same item.
No I never did. Since it took me finding the broken bolt after it had been in the shop for them to notice, figured they really had no idea lol

Hemipower95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Is this the hemi tick? I noticed it this morning. What's the official fix?

https://youtu.be/TbqVjs0vSgw

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
link doesn't work for me, but there is no fix for the hemi tick, its caused by the valve train sucking the oil out of the mds lifters when certain things happen. You will get the tick if you start your truck and only let it run for at least 5-10 minutes and turn it off, the next time you crank it you will get the few seconds of clicking while the lifters refill its annoying but doesn't hurt anything but your pride if it does it front of friends. Try it, crank it then turn it off after 3 minutes now let it sit a hour or so, I get it all the time cause I have to move my truck a few times a day a very short distance.

Mishalnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Change header (manifold gasket) and bolts it will fix it

ramincali

Reaction score
Im not a mechanic but I just picked mine up from the shop. It through a code p219b. They replaced one broken bolt and the manifold gasket. Tick is gone but the check engine light came on again as I was leaving the dealership. Service is open today and priority is on vehicles coming in today. I have to make another appointment. Needless to say, im pissed.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
link doesn't work for me, but there is no fix for the hemi tick, its caused by the valve train sucking the oil out of the mds lifters when certain things happen. You will get the tick if you start your truck and only let it run for at least 5-10 minutes and turn it off, the next time you crank it you will get the few seconds of clicking while the lifters refill its annoying but doesn't hurt anything but your pride if it does it front of friends. Try it, crank it then turn it off after 3 minutes now let it sit a hour or so, I get it all the time cause I have to move my truck a few times a day a very short distance.

Mine used to do this but has stopped at 14k. Not sure why. Latest OC was Mobil 1 EP 5-30 and a Wix XP. All seems really quiet. It will occasionally tick at start up when it sits for 2 weeks or more.