Hemi vs Hurricrane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 hemi
Many on this site and the TRX site had vowed to never buy anything other than a v8 in their truck. I wonder how many in the general public feel this way? Ford sells most f150's with a 6 cylinder ecoboost in it. How much will it actually hurr them? I will say that the word "Hemi" did bring in buyers.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me I always bought ram for the Cummins. I finally switched to the 6.4 hemi because I thought it would be better for my driving style. I like the hemi, but I also am worried about cam and lifter issues. IMO, I would buy any engine as long as it is reliable!! I would definitely get a hurricane, because I just love the torque of a turbo engine!!!

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont want it because of the turbo. I know of many people that have issues with turbos here in the Phoenix area in the summer because of how got it is out here. If was just a regular 6 I can deal with that. I also have driven cars here with turbos in the summer and it drives like crap always lags I like when I hit the gas it goes.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
In a hypothetical, I could absolutely see myself seeking out a turbo 6 in a mid-sized truck. I think the Ranger Raptor looks like a blast, and a Gladiator with a motor that made it faster than walking would be of interest to me as well. I wouldn't cry about one in a 1/2 ton, though I still prefer a V8. I *may* cry just a little in a 3/4 ton if no V8.

I expect to be in the Power Wagon for at least 10 years, though, so I'm not really a buyer at the moment.

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I would not say that Ford sells mostly turbo sixes... Most of the F150 buyers near me seem to be opting for the 5.0 V8. It actually gets better fuel mileage in the mtns of western MD. For me, it's plain stupid not to offer BOTH engines. Let the buyer decide!
Not saying I wouldn't be a buyer... but the 5.7 Hemi certainly has proven itself far more reliable than the eco boost.

There was an interesting comparison of the Hurricane vs Hemi in a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Said the six definitely had more get up and go, but the Hemi did better on fuel... go figure

Last edited by a moderator:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't think ram really wants the v6 when the hemi sells well and fits in seemingly everything they make, but penalties for not meeting the ever stricter and harder to meet emisssions regulations make the v8 too expensive to keep using as a primary engine. I hoped that merging with small car makers like peugot and fiat would be enough to offset the ram chrysler line in that regard. Wishfull thinking I guess. A shift in the political winds may change things, but it sure looks like we're going to have to get used to boosted smaller motors and electric vehicles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are we absolutely sure there will be no V8 engine from CDJR in the future?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100887 miles.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Detroit seems to be imploding over EVs in recent news due to big EV losses from lack of demand and high manufacturing costs. And now the cost of the strike settlement Is on top of that. Wouldn’t surprise me to see the EV RAM pushed out another year or two or dropped all together. It’s hard to tell if that could also have any implications on the Hemi to Hurricane conversion or not.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100887 miles.

No, it's all speculation. Media reports and press releases have been all over the place. Not terribly long ago the Hurricane was supposed to be dead in favor of a hybrid power train. (Similarly, the Ranger was supposed to have a high performance hybrid power train available for the Raptor, but is also a turbo ICE only). I wouldn't be floored if we got a new V8 at some point *if* the market doesn't bite on the hurricane.

GM and Ford continue to make a NA V8 in large numbers, no reason other than $ Ram can't.

skidoorulz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

Regards,
Dusty
With Cummins reportedly working on a 6.7 turbo gasoline engine using the block of the 6.7 diesel engine not to mention the hydrogen 6.7 engine. I would put money on the Hemi going down in history. The EPA has completely ruined the diesel engine with all the garbage on it today. If they come out with a 6.7 Cummins gasser I would seriously look into one.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Who knows, maybe they'll buck the system and offer a 426 Hellephant option...
Think of the possibilities!!
A 2500 based TRX monster ( HD-RX?) with 1,000hp...
You just know they'd sell every one they build...
Might be a pipe dream, but who ever thought they'd build a Grand Cherokee with a Hellcat motor?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
With Cummins reportedly working on a 6.7 turbo gasoline engine using the block of the 6.7 diesel engine not to mention the hydrogen 6.7 engine.
You won't see that engine in a light duty truck(2500/3500), that engine is slated for medium duty trucks. It's too heavy with not enough gain in power to justify replacing the Hemi with.
The hydrogen is possibility to see under the hood of a 2500/3500 truck someday. Lots would have to happen in the way of a refueling stations built to see this happen.

skidoorulz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Direct from a Cummins article:
Cummins’ biggest embrace yet of a growing menu of low carbon fuels will be applied across their B Series, L Series and X Series engine lineup. Fuel choices will include diesel, natural gas, hydrogen, propane or gasoline. Once spec’d, engines will run on one fuel only.

The first engine expected to roll out in 2024 will be a 6.7-liter gasoline-ready option, which Cummins sees as a good fit for pickups and other vehicles needing “diesel-like durability and performance,” according to Cummins’ president of engine business Srikanth Padmanabhan. The motor shouldn't be any heavier than the 6.7 diesel that is already in Ram pickups. So why wouldn't Dodge use it since the Hemi is going away and they clearly are making the move to inline 6 cylinder engines? Never say never. https://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/cummins-engines-test-drive/

Last edited:

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Direct from a Cummins article:
Cummins’ biggest embrace yet of a growing menu of low carbon fuels will be applied across their B Series, L Series and X Series engine lineup. Fuel choices will include diesel, natural gas, hydrogen, propane or gasoline. Once spec’d, engines will run on one fuel only.

The first engine expected to roll out in 2024 will be a 6.7-liter gasoline-ready option, which Cummins sees as a good fit for pickups and other vehicles needing “diesel-like durability and performance,” according to Cummins’ president of engine business Srikanth Padmanabhan. The motor shouldn't be any heavier than the 6.7 diesel that is already in Ram pickups. So why wouldn't Dodge use it since the Hemi is going away and they clearly are making the move to inline 6 cylinder engines? Never say never. https://www.fleetequipmentmag.com/cummins-engines-test-drive/
Agreed. The 6.7 cummins is already in the 2500 and 3500. No reason a gas version of it couldn't go in there. I would love to have a cummins again. Would be a bit weird though having a gas powered cummins...haha.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
If it makes power, I couldn't care less what the configuration is.
Yup. My feelings, exactly. I don't care if it has 2 cylinders, as long as it makes the power I need and gets the job done.