Hemifever tune or bolt ons first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nearest official strip to me is 1.5 hours each way, there's a short track near me that does roughly 100 yard not timed street drags on the front straight. Wish I had one closer.
Damn i'd kill for a track only 90 minutes away,lol.My local track which i'm at pretty well every week-end in the summer is 2.5 hours from my driveway to the entrance gates,aarrgghh.Our local city council decided not to renew the local tracks lease back in 2015,and now they ***** about the street racing that goes on,a city of 1.3 million and no race track,wonder what they figured would happen,when they shut down the local track that was a 5/8's paved oval and a beautiful dragstrip

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah FL has some goodies. Only issue is I am a BIG fan of the outdoors like walking on trails, waterfall chasing and the like. Me and the gf went on a trip to yellowstone and pretty much solidified my decision of moving back to somewhere with some mountain ranges.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah FL has some goodies. Only issue is I am a BIG fan of the outdoors like walking on trails, waterfall chasing and the like. Me and the gf went on a trip to yellowstone and pretty much solidified my decision of moving back to somewhere with some mountain ranges.
You'd like it up here in the summer then,winter maybe not so much,lol.I'm a little over an hour east of Banff Alberta,and the Rockies in the summer are beautiful .

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice! Yeah I dont mind the winter. I used to live in VA so had my fair share, although maybe not as extreme. But yeah my degree is in computer science and the gf is doing radiology tech so both jobs are fairly abundant wherever we decide. Ill share this with her as well though, thanks!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nice! Yeah I dont mind the winter. I used to live in VA so had my fair share, although maybe not as extreme. But yeah my degree is in computer science and the gf is doing radiology tech so both jobs are fairly abundant wherever we decide. Ill share this with her as well though, thanks!
Calgary is a place to look at then,as it's a fairly vibrant city with a younger population.Plus it's only about 70 minutes east of Banff,with a fairly active 4X4 community,if that's what you're into lol

Calgary's economy includes activity in the energy, financial services, film and television, transportation and logistics, technology, manufacturing, aerospace, health and wellness, retail, and tourism sectors.[12] The Calgary Metropolitan Region is home to Canada's second-largest number of corporate head offices among the country's 800 largest corporations.[13] In 2015, Calgary had the largest number of millionaires per capita of any major Canadian city.[14] In 2022, Calgary was ranked alongside Zürich as the third most livable city in the world, ranking first in Canada and in North America.[15] In 1988, it became the first Canadian city to host the Olympic Winter Games.

Last edited:

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
@SouthernBornRebel - thanks for the part suggestions! I am actually already set of the muffler. Got the 18inch magnaflow. Y pipe and mbrp 5"tips schedule for tuesday! I plan on going the lower airbox and duct off the 6.4l because my plan is to get the intake manufold and injector kit. Going to do exhaust and the intake first, then save up for custom tune and then do headers and the rest as I see fit! Cheers!

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Never thought of a procharger though, would be a lot of fun especially after I pay the truck off and possibly keep it

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Other things and tunes don't much matter without mechanical upgrades e.g. cam, torque converter (which is a good performance choice), leave the MDS alone and run it by the factory gear selection options on steering wheel, look into Alpha OBD2 (careful with options you change and keep track of them) yet gets codes you need to program keys etc, and Z-Automotive Tazer is another fun lil tool.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Other things and tunes don't much matter without mechanical upgrades e.g. cam, torque converter (which is a good performance choice), leave the MDS alone and run it by the factory gear selection options on steering wheel, look into Alpha OBD2 (careful with options you change and keep track of them) yet gets codes you need to program keys etc, and Z-Automotive Tazer is another fun lil tool.
I have the 6.4 intake manifold and long tubes with a tune. I can promise that those 2 little items are huge even on a stock block. Also what’s your reasoning in turning mds off by the dash instead of in the tune? Tuning it out is easy and if you are getting tuned anyways you may as well tune it out. The tb spacer does absolutely nothing in these trucks except add bling. Also I know you “feel a difference” with the CAI and you claim they are designed to flow better and what not but the stock intake flows more than needed and is also a CAI design. The only thing better than the stock intake is one that creates forced air into the intake manifold. The biggest restriction comes from your tb and intake manifold opening being smaller than the actual intake tube. I ran the s&b on my truck and noticed 0 difference swapping up to the 6.4 intake box. Was the truck a touch louder before? Honestly yes but barely. The stock is designed around the engine to be the most efficient as can be. Unless you have dyno proof or track time proof then CAI are just a way to spend money on looks for the engine bay. Or make a couple logs back to back comparing IAT and vacuum of the stock intake and the aftermarket.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
A mild cam swap would be in my future as well, never heard of a torque converter before though but sounds like it will be on my list!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Never thought of a procharger though, would be a lot of fun especially after I pay the truck off and possibly keep it
I'd do a SRT non-mds 6.4 swap long before i'd add boost to a stock bottem end 5.7. Easier to tune,and easier to work on,working around a blower sucks,and also adds a bunch of weight to the front end of the truck,which is the last place you want to add another 100+lbs to.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ill get a new throttlebody once I can do the 6.4l intake swap

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ill get a new throttlebody once I can do the 6.4l intake swap
You're stock throttle body is perfectly adequate until you do cam/ported heads /long tubes etc,and even then isn't really gonna show much in the way of a power gain. The 485 horse SRT 6.4's use the exact same throttle body as your 5.7 does,and it takes alot of mods on a 5.7 to get to the same power level as the 6.4 is stock

Last edited: