Here's a Stupid Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My last two trucks were both 4x4 and had limited slip with manual transmission, but neither had traction control. Hence, I have no experience with traction control and really don't understand how it works. My current 2500 is RWD, 4x2m with limited slip and traction control. How and when would I use them in conjunction with each other. I've had this truck a year and have never engaged the traction control. Be gentle...:emotions34:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Traction control and the diff work in conjunction automatically. The transmission/drivetrain through sensors detects slippage, loss of traction and engages as needed, since only a 4 X 2, normally application of brakes. .

Traction Control System (TCS)

The TCS monitors the amount of wheel spin of each of the driven wheels. If wheel spin is detected, brake pressure is applied to the slipping wheel(s), and engine power is reduced to provide enhanced acceleration and stability. A feature of the TCS functions similarly to a limited-slip differential and controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel that is not spinning. This feature remains active even if TCS and ESC are in the “Partial Off” mode. This brake pressure modulation transfers drive torque from slipping to non-slipping wheels to provide optimal forward traction.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

The ESC system enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for oversteering or understeering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path. ESC uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the vehicle path intended by the driver and compares it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path does not match the intended path, ESC applies the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or
understeer condition.
• Oversteer - when the vehicle is turning more than appropriate for the steering wheel position.
• Understeer - when the vehicle is turning less than appropriate for the steering wheel position.

All Ram Two-Wheel Drive Vehicles And Four-Wheel Drive Vehicles In 2WD, 4WD AUTO, Or 4WD LOCK Modes Can Choose The following ESC Operating Modes:

ESC On
This is the normal operating mode for ESC in 2WD/4WD AUTO/4WD LOCK modes and in 2WD vehicles. This mode should be used for almost all driving situations. ESC should only be turned to “Partial Off” or “ESC Off” for specific reasons as noted below.

ESC Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily pressing the “ESC Off” switch. When in Partial Off mode, the TCS portion of ESC, except for he “limited slip” feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the "ESC Off Indicator Light" will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESC function normally. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than TCS would normally allow is required to gain traction. To turn ESC on again, momentarily press the “ESC Off” switch. This will restore the normal “ESC On” mode of operation.

GOOD INFO in here also for OP to read:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can engage both at the same time?
No on/off for limited slip differential, built into the rear differential.

ADDED: One of the good gearheads in here can maybe CHIME in and dumb it down to a direct discussion/information, LOL.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cant necessarily "engage" both. You either have TC on or off. Limited slip does what it does. My extremely rudimentary understanding of TC is it receives input from the truck to apply/release brakes as well as apply power to the wheel/wheels with the most traction. Most of the time limiting wheel speed.

skates15

Reaction score
Good info from everyone right here. I was on track to have an Irish coffee sans the sugary stuff, but I'm going to read thru all this first (quickly).

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No on/off for limited slip differential, built into the rear differential.

ADDED: One of the good gearheads in here can maybe CHIME in and dumb it down to a direct discussion/information, LOL.
That's what I need - a simple explanation. I already know that my limited slip rear end is always doing its thing. What I need to know is under what circumstances I would need to engage the traction control. With and without a trailer behind me, in the rain, etc.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Traction Control engages automatically unless U have it disabled/turned off. Depends upon whether U can turn off/disable or not whether by buttons or pulling a fuse or other way.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can turn off both my Traction control and ESC but since I am not drifting my truck lol why lol. But I have 4wd so it may not be the same on. 2nd truck. I have the newer 48-11 transfer case 5th gen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Traction Control engages automatically unless U have it disabled/turned off. Depends upon whether U can turn off/disable or not whether by buttons or pulling a fuse or other way.
I have a button/switch to turn it on or off. I have had it off for the year I've had the truck. See red circle in photo.

Attachments

• NewTruck5 - Copy.JPG
    NewTruck5 - Copy.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 18

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not just leave on which is default. Turn off when u want to spin wheels n such. I guess u must hit button to turn off every time u drive. But my system a lil diff since has 4wd transfer case.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Why not just leave on which is default. Turn off when u want to spin wheels n such. I guess u must hit button to turn off every time u drive. But my system a lil diff since has 4wd transfer case.
My default is 'Off' - it isn't activated unless I toggle the switch. So that is my question. Under what circumstances would I want to turn in 'On'? I've gone a year with it off and have had no issues.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After a big snowfall, I often disable the ESC to allow for more fun on the road.

I live in a rural area and have many quiet backroads that sometimes entice me for a bit of slippy cornering fun. The ESC would limit my fun by braking on the slipping wheels.

Your manual may have a good explanation on disabling the ESC and when you could benefit from it being disabled, IIRC.

If you search Ram forum, you will discover that there are 2 levels of ESC disabled. The second and more productive method is to hold the ESC off button for 6-10 seconds until a beep is heard and the EVIC. presents the following notification;

ESC off.jpg

On my truck, '21 Warlock 4x4, the ESC default is on. The ESC button is to disable the ESC function. AFAIK, to truly disable it, you must press and hold until you hear a beep and see the above notification.

Pressing the ESC off button without holding for the beep is a partial off, or, NOT off. LOL.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My default is 'Off' - it isn't activated unless I toggle the switch. So that is my question. Under what circumstances would I want to turn in 'On'? I've gone a year with it off and have had no issues.

Are you certain that the default is off? All the 4x4 trucks are defaulted to on, AFAIK.

If you press the off button on my truck without holding, it stills lights a small ESC off indicator on the EVIC, not as significant as the hold until beep, as described above.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
After a big snowfall, I often disable the ESC to allow for more fun on the road.

I live in a rural area and have many quiet backroads that sometimes entice me for a bit of slippy cornering fun. The ESC would limit my fun by braking on the slipping wheels.

Your manual may have a good explanation on disabling the ESC and when you could benefit from it being disabled, IIRC.

If you search Ram forum, you will discover that there are 2 levels of ESC disabled. The second and more productive method is to hold the ESC off button for 6-10 seconds until a beep is heard and the EVIC. presents the following notification;

View attachment 539539

On my truck, '21 Warlock 4x4, the ESC default is on. The ESC button is to disable the ESC function. AFAIK, to truly disable it, you must press and hold until you hear a beep and see the above notification.

Pressing the ESC off button without holding for the beep is a partial off, or, NOT off. LOL.

I'm asking about ETC, not ESC. My ETC is off by default, I have to turn it on if I need it. Which is my question - when would I need it?

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are you certain that the default is off? All the 4x4 trucks is defaulted to on, AFAIK.

If you press the off button on my truck without holding, it stills lights a small ESC off indicator on the EVIC, not as significant as the hold until beep, as described above.

I don't have a 4x4, and yes I am sure it is off by default because I have to push the switch to have the icon light up. And I'm asking about ETC, not ESC.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a 4x4, and yes I am sure it is off by default because I have to push the switch to have the icon light up. And I'm asking about ETC, not ESC.

Sorry about that.

I saw ESC in TB56's post and went off on a tangent. That is quite bizarre to have the TSC default as off, I'd be asking questions about that too. :cool:

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sorry about that.

I saw ESC in TB56's post and went off on a tangent. That is quite bizarre to have the TSC default as off, I'd be asking questions about that too. :cool:

I guess it's possible that mine is off by default because I have 4x2, and not 4x4. Don't know.

Dredger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have to push the switch to have the icon light up.
To be certain we're all on the same page - when you push the traction control button and it lights up, you've turned off traction control.
If traction control is off (light illuminated on switch) when you turn the truck off, the next time you turn the truck on the switch should no longer be illuminated and traction control is active.
@RamDiver is correct when he states your default should be ON (switch not illuminated).

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
To be certain we're all on the same page - when you push the traction control button and it lights up, you've turned off traction control.
If traction control is off (light illuminated on switch) when you turn the truck off, the next time you turn the truck on the switch should no longer be illuminated and traction control is active.
@RamDiver is correct when he states your default should be ON (switch not illuminated).
Well, I'll be a @#$%!. OK this is the way mine is working.

There are two (2) switches next to each other - one is for 'Traction Control', and the other is for 'Tow/Haul'. When I push the switch for Tow/Haul, the light comes on and my EVIC says, "Tow/Haul Mode On". However, when I push the switch for the Traction Control the light also comes on but my EVIC says, "Traction Control Off". So for Two/Haul the light on means it is 'engaged', but for Traction Control the light on means 'disengaged'. I didn't check to see if turning off and restarting the truck changes anything. OK, today I learned that my Traction Control in on by default but that really doesn't answer my original question, it only reverses it.

Now, the question is, "My Traction Control is always on. Under what circumstances should I turn it off? You know, keeping mind I also have a limited slip differential."

And big thanks to @Dredger for clearing up that part.