HID for fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just looking for some input here.. Last week I installed headlight HID's from JJ on my '14 Sport - fairly easy install. The only part I struggled with was deciding where to mount the ballasts. Very nice hardware though - I'm very happy, and highly recommend Retro Shop. Anyways, I went with 5000K, and think they're pretty much what I wanted - slightly less boring than the off-white 4300k coming through the projector lens, without giving up really any (noticeable) illumination.

I want to do my fogs now, and I definitely don't want 3000K (even if it is really useful light, it's too JDM looking for me, haha), and I'm not sure how the 5000K bulbs will look without a projector. I'm thinking about just doing the 4300K so it looks more OEM, but obviously throwing out more illumination. Has anybody else done this combo? 5000K through projectors, and 4300K with the vertical fogs? How do you like it?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Go with 5000K so it'll match. IMO It'll look weird otherwise. I've got 6000K in mine and they're wicked bright

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Match the Kelvins!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I have 5K in mine and there perfect and really bright.

OP
OP
G

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the comments! I'll go with matching fogs.

AcerOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemmskii
Im running the 4300 in the projector and in my fogs. Im really happy with the 4300 as it gives it a real "factory" look. Still baffles me why ram equipped this truck with a projector option and then put in a weak ass halogen bulb that you outrun over 60mph. IMO, anything over 6000k looks really aftermarket and sticks out too much. Just me and my old age I guess lol.

OP
OP
G

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im running the 4300 in the projector and in my fogs. Im really happy with the 4300 as it gives it a real "factory" look. Still baffles me why ram equipped this truck with a projector option and then put in a weak ass halogen bulb that you outrun over 60mph. IMO, anything over 6000k looks really aftermarket and sticks out too much. Just me and my old age I guess lol.

Haha, I agree. I went with 5000K in headlights last week and just ordered 5000K for the fogs - install them this weekend. My last car had factory 4300K through projectors, and my setup now looks just a "touch" more intense, but at a glance, it's not really noticeable. Which is exactly what I wanted out of the headlights. I'm pretty sure the fogs will turn out good too.

AcerOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemmskii
Haha, I agree. I went with 5000K in headlights last week and just ordered 5000K for the fogs - install them this weekend. My last car had factory 4300K through projectors, and my setup now looks just a "touch" more intense, but at a glance, it's not really noticeable. Which is exactly what I wanted out of the headlights. I'm pretty sure the fogs will turn out good too.

As you mentioned, finding a mounting spot for the ballasts was a bit of a nightmare. I have the sport bumper and there is a ledge on it a few inches above the fog light itself. Small strip of 2 sided tape and it wedges in there pretty good and is relatively protected from water.

OP
OP
G

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As you mentioned, finding a mounting spot for the ballasts was a bit of a nightmare. I have the sport bumper and there is a ledge on it a few inches above the fog light itself. Small strip of 2 sided tape and it wedges in there pretty good and is relatively protected from water.

Nice! I'll keep that in mind when I do the install.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Guess the 09-12s are easier. There's plenty of space right above the fog light.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brendo99