High Water temp 04 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In 2010 I had the entire engine rebuilt because it had a cracked head that I didn't have the cash to fix at the moment and when we went in there was rust inside the entire engine.

3 weeks ago, I was checking my fluids and checked the coolant reservoir and then radiator. I didn't fully close the radiator cap and on my way that evening the truck overheated. I pulled over at gas station and checked everything and the cap wasn't fully secure. I replaced the coolant and made my way back home the temperature jumped up a little higher then the normal temp on way home.

Next morning I purchased a new radiator cap and it all but fixed the overheating issue accept now during heavy traffic where I'm sitting still a minute or two the water temp goes up almost half way between center line and the overheating line. I marked the reservoir with a pen and the fluids aren't leaking. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Or things I can test to find the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
J

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ty both I'll try thermostat because I know that would be the cheaper fix of the two but if it doesn't work I'll Google how to check fan clutch.

OP
OP
J

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also something I've noticed that just came to me. When my trucks running normal temp levels the oil gauge and battery gauge are slightly above normal. When my truck creeps up to normal then higher temps the oil and battery gauge return to normal.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
On an 04 the oil gauge will read normal at anything above 5 psi.

OP
OP
J

jivy26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fan clutch is good headed to store to pick up a new thermostat and see if that fixes the issue

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2