Hold-up in replacing map lights!! Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Folks,

So I was looking to replace my interior lights. I found some videos on youtube about how to replace the lights, and ordered the correct LED replacements. When I got into my truck, to my dismay, I found that my lights seem to be different than all of the tutorials I watched.

I took the light covers off for the front interior map lights, and it seems that there is an extra lens cover. I know the original owner bought the truck super loaded with all the options, so maybe he purchased some premium lighting package or something?

Also my lights for the footwells seem to be different than the ones I have seen online.

I haven't checked out the rear domemap yet.

I'll include some photos of the lights and the LEDs I purchased.

The picture of the overhead light has the cover on it. The cover is totally clear, so you can see the lens underneath.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck has the LED overhead light option. These lights are not serviceable. Several people as well as myself have had problems with them flickering or just not working all together. You will need to purchase the whole light assembly in order to correct your problem. You can change it over to the standard lights if you wish. The plugs are identical.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Your truck has the LED overhead light option. These lights are not serviceable. Several people as well as myself have had problems with them flickering or just not working all together. You will need to purchase the whole light assembly in order to correct your problem. You can change it over to the standard lights if you wish. The plugs are identical.

Not true :crazy:

OP
OP
A

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

What part of it is not true? Like I don't have to replace the whole thing, or the plugs are not interchangeable? I'm bummed,! Any other options to get crazy strong lighting in my truck? The lights do, unfortunately flicker....

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Check out my thread about replacing the leds with aftermarket, brighter leds.
http://www.ramforum.com/f42/flickering_led_map_light_fixed-82756/

Very easy to do and if you want it super bright, after you put in some good leds, leave off the chrome cover and just put the clear plastic cover back on. It will be much brighter I promise. It may seem intimidating but once you start to take it apart its simple.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I apologize for not stating it correctly for you . (Acording to Chrysler this is a non serviceable part) which is very true. I actually read your original post about your fix but decided to just replace mine. I forgot to mention your method When I saw the OP'S original question.

OP
OP
A

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Very easy to do and if you want it super bright, after you put in some good leds, leave off the chrome cover and just put the clear plastic cover back on. It will be much brighter I promise. It may seem intimidating but once you start to take it apart its simple.
Ram Man, I am definitely going to look into your writeup when I get home. I have a special spot in my heart for leds :)

OP
OP
A

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Hey, so what is the easiest way to remove the center console to work on these lights

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slide your fingers in near the front on both sides near the front and pull strait down. I think there is a video on how to do it on youtube. You may want to check and see if your truck is still under the 3/36 warranty. This is a known problem. If your Truck is still under warranty they will replace it. If not you can try the fix. I didn't because I found a used LED overhead cheap and just bought it insead. So far this one works fine. I actualy forgot about the thread to fix them.

OP
OP
A

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Slide your fingers in near the front on both sides near the front and pull strait down. I think there is a video on how to do it on youtube. You may want to check and see if your truck is still under the 3/36 warranty. This is a known problem. If your Truck is still under warranty they will replace it. If not you can try the fix. I didn't because I found a used LED overhead cheap and just bought it insead. So far this one works fine. I actualy forgot about the thread to fix them.

Yeah I found that video. Definitely helps. I just want to be sure how to cut off the little tabs to remove the chrome cover. Don't want to destroy anything but I really want less flickering and more interior lighting. Sigh lol

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you remove it from the truck the black piece and the tan piece separate. The lights themselves are in the tan piece. It should be pretty self explanatory once you take it apart. It's a pretty simple setup. You will be able to easily access the lights from the back of the tan piece like it shows in the thread . Pull it off and take a look and see what you think. You really have nothing to lose the lights are already defective. If my new factory LED console developes the same issue again I am going to try this fix as well.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You need that chrome cover. It has a lens in it that focuses the light. If you remove it, you'll be lighting the inside of the map light housing. I have the non led housing that you can put LEDs in without modification if you would like to buy it. I'll even include LEDs.

I just dug it out to give someone some other parts from it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
f30fb5fcac4a4256fa4cc79ed4609c26.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think I am going to try to do the modification eventually. I just need to work up the nerve!!
Well if you do that chrome cover with the lens needs to stay. The OEM LED assembly underneath is what gets removed and there is a standard 194 bulb plug underneath it.