Hood liner getting wet after wash/rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Okay we got the new liner put up and Im watching it closely for any signs of anything.

When I got back from the dealer I popped the hood immediately to check things while the engine was still very hot and the coolant system under lots of back pressure. Didnt see any leaks. I did notice, however, that the AC suction line runs clean across the front of the engine and it sweats A LOT. While I doubt that could be a cause, there sure was a lot of water sweating off that line and its not inconceivable to think that on a long drive in summer that it could put off quite a bit of fluid.

I think Im gonna wrap that suction line in ArmaFlex.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've noticed it. And it's aggravating. I try to keep my truck clean. And you open the hood and it looks like it's been threw many wny winters and never washed (it's a 15). I got pissed enough I went to the car wash. Opened the hood and powerwashed the liner (please yell at me for doing that) and got it completely clean, drove the truck a few hours to dry it. Then opened hood and it the summer air blow on it. Got it completely dry... Didn't even drive my truck for a week. But it rained... Open hood and it was all crusty again!!! I've given up. I'm half tempted to just rip it out. My dads brand new 2015 cummins has the same thing the day he picked it up from the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 15 and have been fortunate not to see this. I'm watching this closely and it concerns me. I love my truck but there seem to be a lot of little things that make big problems.

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
I washed my truck today.
After towel drying, I opened the hood and soapy water was all at the liner.
As someone said in this thread, the seal that meets the hood allows water to get by.
There definitely was soapy water that may have gotten on top of the liner.

I believe this is my issue.
I never use the windshield washer, but I do wash my truck every weekend.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
After a back order, my hood blanket finally came in and had it replaced today. They brought me back into the service area and showed me the washer nozzles in my case were not leaking but mold had started to form on the inside of the hood. They also took it outside and ran water hose stream over the windshield and some water did seep in but not much.

New blanket was installed and after a conversation with both the service adviser and service manager, they said this issue was on FCA/RAM's radar but nothing has come down as far as any TSB's to address it and was still under investigation.

I told them I would be coming back every 6 months so long as I had warranty to get it replace if the issue still is there.

20160130-10.06.54.jpg

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nice. Been watching mine too. So far so good. If they showed u the nozzles are good and you get it again........

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Nice. Been watching mine too. So far so good. If they showed u the nozzles are good and you get it again........

Still is a mystery on the white flaky stuff. I did see the inside of my old blanket and it was clean. So either there is some type of chemical material reacting with the blanket when it gets wet, or maybe there is some type of capillary residue from the soap I use when I hand wash the truck? Either way, still is something weird going on here.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
this may sound kinda stupid , has anybody tried tasting the white stuff? To me it kinda looks like a salt residue. Could it come from off gassing of the battery.

OP
OP
C

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wouldn't want to taste anything battery related. But if you'd like to come try mine, you're more than welcome :)

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
this may sound kinda stupid , has anybody tried tasting the white stuff? To me it kinda looks like a salt residue. Could it come from off gassing of the battery.

It is not the battery. Battery corrosion is from hydrogen gas that causes a galvanic corrosion. The liner material is not metallic.

SupermanWV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could this situation be caused from the hood being aluminum and the body and hinges being steel? I know that dissimilar metals cause this white residue on boat motors. My dads boat has aluminum blocks bolted to the motor to keep the lake water from affecting the motor parts. But those aluminum blocks get ate up and same/similar looking white residue is on the aluminum blocks. The hood is painted so it really isn't affecting the aluminum but maybe the reaction flows through the water and seeps to the outside of the fabric and where it dries it makes the white powdery residue. (mine does it a lot. I brush off with toothbrush and use wd-40 on rag to get rid of the leftover powder on the fabric. But it's back within days in different spots.) I do wash truck off a lot....especially in winter months.

It confuses me. And I hate it.

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l gas
I've read other places about the hood being aluminum, but a magnet sticks to my hood on both inside and outside.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Had my replacement liner on for the last 3 weeks or so and all is well so far. Been through quite a bit of snow, rain and salt treat roads with quite a bit of use of the washer nozzles and nothing so far with the replacement liner.

Given the limited scope seeming the vast majority of this complaints are the HD 2015+ models, I am beginning to think there was a bad batch of these liners that are having some type of chemical reaction to the material.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Been another couple of months and all is well with the replacement blanket. If anybody has this issue, get them to replace it as it appears to just be a bad batch of these blankets and not an external issue.

20160418_065711.jpg

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l gas
Been another couple of months and all is well with the replacement blanket. If anybody has this issue, get them to replace it as it appears to just be a bad batch of these blankets and not an external issue.

20160418_065711.jpg

Did they do anything other then replace the liner ?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Did they do anything other then replace the liner ?

They did check the washer fluid nozzle lines and fittings with no leaks noted.

Given the narrow date range of 2015 and some early 2016 2500/3500's, I think it was just a bad batch of blankets and a chemical treat reaction when they got any kind of wet.

PBRstreet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
The white powder residue you are seeing is MAP (Monoammonium phosphate NH4H2PO4) MAP is a dry chemical flame retardant incorporated into your silencer (under hood mat) These RAM trucks have faulty hood to firewall seals which allows water intrusion during rain and wash cycles. The silencer wicks up the water and then precipitates white crystals often showing up on the underside of the silencer mat and/or dripping in the engine compartment. Because It is water soluble, slightly acidic and dissolves readily moisture is present I would recommend removing the silencer and tossing it.