How can I diagnose broken exhaust manifold bolt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've got a 2019 PW and I'm noticing an increased ticking sound coming from the drivers side. It's not nearly as bad as some of the hemi tickets I've heard online, and I notice it most when driving. I feel like I hear it most in the first 10-15 mins of driving, which makes me think it may be a broken exhaust manifold bolt. Then again, I've seen some recent posts about the hemi tick and broken bolts so I don't know if I'm imagining a problem that isn't really there (it may have always made the sound I'm hearing and I'm just now really paying attention). Is there an easy way to diagnose a broken bolt? It doesn't seem like you can get to the bolts from underneath very easily, but I haven't check access from under the hood. I wanted some advice, and to see if I'm just going to have to take it to the dealer for diagnosis.

I've got an open recall on the bed step, so I'm going to take it in at some point anyway. I was hoping to hold off until June when I'm going out of town for a week and can leave the truck at the dealership and not be without it. If it is a broken bolt, will I cause long-term harm if I continue to drive it?

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If it is a broken exhaust manifold bolt, it won't hurt it to keep driving it. You can take it in at the same time to get it repaired, if that is what it is. I'm presuming it is still under warranty and will be at that time?

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If it is a broken exhaust manifold bolt, it won't hurt it to keep driving it. You can take it in at the same time to get it repaired, if that is what it is. I'm presuming it is still under warranty and will be at that time?

Yes - I meant to mention that. It's still under warranty and I'll likely hit the three year mark before I hit the milage limit (bought the truck in Nov. 2019).

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
generally if its bad when you startup then quits its a bolt because the manifolds and heads are made from different materials they expand and contract at different rates.the other hemisphere tick is cam and lifters that will some times throw a code

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well..every 6.4 they had on the lot sounded the same when I bought mine in 2019. I didn’t think it was normal TICK..until I drove a regular 6.4 on the lot and then I just realize this is how these engines sound.. but then again maybe every single one of these has a broken manifold bolt. Lol I don’t know to be honest, it is a weird noise and I know exactly what you are talking about.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well..every 6.4 they had on the lot sounded the same when I bought mine in 2019. I didn’t think it was normal TICK..until I drove a regular 6.4 on the lot and then I just realize this is how these engines sound.. but then again maybe every single one of these has a broken manifold bolt. Lol I don’t know to be honest, it is a weird noise and I know exactly what you are talking about.
Mine is a 2020 and same experience. Sucks but just how they sound.