How much is to much oil in a catch can?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have about 33k miles on a 2016 sport with a hemi. I did an oil change and emptied my catch can. This is what i found, Looks to be about 8 ozs of oil. Its about half full. About 6k miles. Does that seem correct. I would think excessive to me. Thoughts?

Oil2.jpg

Oil2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have about 33k miles on a 2016 sport with a hemi. I did an oil change and emptied my catch can. This is what i found, Looks to be about 8 ozs of oil. Its about half full. About 6k miles. Does that seem correct. I would think excessive to me. Thoughts?

Oil2.jpg

Oil2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
That's fine. I've had them nearly filled to the brim before and can tell that it needs to be emptied because it acts a bit sluggish.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oops thought you were talking about how much is too much before being emptied lol.if that's an 8k oil change I'd say that's not unusual. I empty mine every 5k miles or oil change and take equivalent. These trucks fill em up quick. In my 300C, I'd go 10-15K miles.

Eddywardo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oops thought you were talking about how much is too much before being emptied lol.if that's an 8k oil change I'd say that's not unusual. I empty mine every 5k miles or oil change and take equivalent. These trucks fill em up quick. In my 300C, I'd go 10-15K miles.
really stupid question and I probably know the answer but you just empty out the oil and plug the catch can back in correct? For some reason I assumed you would need to purchase another catch can after every oil change haha.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
really stupid question and I probably know the answer but you just empty out the oil and plug the catch can back in correct? For some reason I assumed you would need to purchase another catch can after every oil change haha.
:)
You just unscrew the bottom like you've done, dump, and screw the bottom back on. That'd get pricey if you had to dispose each change!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That's about normal. In hotter weather, and if the vehicle is run a bit hard, you'll get a bit more in the can between changes.

The can in my SRT8, during hot weather and if I am doing some drag racing once or twice a month, will get about 3/4 full.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Oh noooooooo.... :happy175:

OP
OP
KCaudill

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok great thanks. My 1st few oil changes were no where near that full. If normal great!!

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed mine literally 5 days ago.... I checked it after probably 400 or so miles..... and here is what I found:

41655918402_01a4f7d7b7_k.jpg

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Makes a person wonder why everyone does not install a CC, so much crap goes back into the motor otherwise.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes a person wonder why everyone does not install a CC, so much crap goes back into the motor otherwise.
Before I got my ram I knew what a OCC was and the concept of it working but was never interested in one. Then I got my ram and joined this forum and I guess you could say " got educated" . My OCC was first purchase and like you said, can't believe all that crap is recirculated.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk