How much oil on 5.7L oil change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
The oil path is: pump, filter, then out to the bearings and top end. For the time that the pump is filling the filter there is no oil going to the bearings and the top end.
So how long does it take to fill the filter? How long are the bearings not getting fresh oil? I'm generally interested in knowing if it's seconds, minutes, or what.

I wonder how this compares to a -40 degree morning when I start my truck and the cold, thick oil struggles to flow.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It definitely isn't minutes, too many variables to know for sure, but I'd say probably a couple to very few seconds. That is why most oils contain molybdenum. Find out how many gallons per minute your oil pump is, probably somewhere around 5.

OP
OP
R

raven3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi RCSB Express
The 5.7L oil filter, vertical mount, must be 1/4 the volume of the old Fram PH8 that was side mounted, which took much longer to fill on start up.

Always half filled those PH8 filters about 1/2 full before spinning on.

On most engines the filter works in parallel with the total flow path. Most of the oil flow bypasses the filter. However, all the oil molecules eventually pass through the filter media.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
So how long does it take to fill the filter? How long are the bearings not getting fresh oil? I'm generally interested in knowing if it's seconds, minutes, or what.

I wonder how this compares to a -40 degree morning when I start my truck and the cold, thick oil struggles to flow.

At most, it is a few seconds. Unless your vehicles has been sitting for a week not run, there is still enough of a static oil film on the bearing journals during a normal oil change that pre-filling the oil filter makes no measurable difference.

Over the course of a vehicles life, there is so much more that contributes to the long life or short life of an engine in terms of maintenance and how it is used than worry about the couple of seconds after an oil change for flow to the lubricated parts.

Gt23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
Any ideas on redirecting flow of oil from filter once cracked open. Man that was a mess yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gt23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
Do these numbers look ok after the first change? First change I did myself more accurately.

afe73abc4802dc91db62fabaf0c31a15.jpg

Seems a little hot to me, yes, no?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i put 7 quarts. do not fill the filter. run a few minutes, check for leaks. i check the oil when cold. where ever the dip stick reads, i consider the full mark.

Gt23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l hemi
I'm Canadian. 6.5 liters Didn't fill the filter. Bang on in the middle of the stick.

Variscom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Question about similar topic - I understand that the capacity is 7 qts. (for 5.7L 2015 hemi), it seems that the dealer and recently another service shop always add a slight amount over, so that it reads slightly higher than full on the dipstick. Any thoughts as to whether this is really an issue? I have always been extra careful not to overfill when I did oil changes myself, but I just have gotten to a point (older) where it is more convenient to pay someone.

Funny story about this, I had a Nissan Sentra a few years back that took only 3 qts of oil, I had it changed the first time by the Nissan dealer, and they proceeded to put 4 qts. in it. I made them drain it back out, after they argued with me that they knew what they were doing because they were an "authorized Nissan" service (HAAHAH).

After this happened a couple of times, I changed it myself for the remaining time I owned it, I figured I was the only one competent enough to do it right.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When changing the oil on the 5.7L, how much oil is actually required to properly fill to upper mark on dip stick, including volume of new oil filter?

Always had the oil changed at the dealer, so there is a record of the maintenance and supply the oil and filter.

In the past, the dealers were consistently over filling the previous 3.6L, saying the capacity is 6 quarts and so the dealer added exactly 6 quarts.
That is the full capacity of the engine, however not all of the oil drains from the engine including the oil filter.
The reason they were probably overfilling the 3.6 is because they were draining the oil, put plug back in, drop vehicle back to ground, change filter. On the 3.6 you need to at least loosen filter before you drain the oil otherwise what oil is still in filter will remain there until it is loosened, therefore they were not completely draining you're old oil.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I changed my oil today. I bought a fill jug with a flex hose that has markings up to 8 qts so I filled exactly to the 7qt line on level ground. Then I filled the new filter from that and installed it, then put the rest in the engine. started it & ran for a few minutes checked for leaks. shut it off & waited for 5 minutes then checked it & it shows about 1/3 qt low. have any of you seen this?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my oil today. I bought a fill jug with a flex hose that has markings up to 8 qts so I filled exactly to the 7qt line on level ground. Then I filled the new filter from that and installed it, then put the rest in the engine. started it & ran for a few minutes checked for leaks. shut it off & waited for 5 minutes then checked it & it shows about 1/3 qt low. have any of you seen this?
Depends on what oil and filter you're using. I dump 7 Qts in, I don't pre fill filter, I use the standard size filter and mine ends up being just a smidge over full. Some oils take longer to drain back down than others, especially when not hot. I check my oil when engine is cold, been sitting for several hours or overnight. When I do check it hot, like at a gas station when getting gas, it will be full or just a smidge just below full.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Checked this morning & its roght at the to hole on the dipstick so all is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMIMS37