How often are you guys lubing front drive shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
So I know the manual says to grease at every oil change. I am going to be changing the oil every 6 months and i will most likely not get close to the 8,000 miles between each change. Im wondering how often you guys are doing this lube? I know some people never do it. That is probably asking for trouble. But I feel doing it every 6 months just might not be worth it. I was thinking maybe with each oil change after around every 10k miles? Any of you guys doing it religiously....not at all? Anything change on the 17+ trucks as far as the grease point? I was just under there fluid filming the other day and forgot to look of course...

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Every oil change religiously. Why take a chance? It only takes a minute. There was a user (I think maybe Drittal but I could be wrong) who had the ujoint fail on the front shaft and they blamed it on lack of grease if memory serves.

I actually wish there was more grease points on these things.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I looked mine over front to back. Couldn’t find any joints with fittings on them. Total BS if you ask me. Nothing like setting your customers up for failure.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know, couldn’t find them either. There was nothing on any of them. Tried spinning them all the way around and couldn’t find any.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I crawled under my truck for about 30 min when I first got it to see if the were any zerks or nipples. None

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's a needle seat on the rear. You can barely see it when you are rotating the shaft around. It's towards the center of the joint. I had to be laying just right to see it at first.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Looks like one of these right?

11ddacda54c3da780e6f11d9a9db9a3a.jpg

I’ll take another look tomorrow if the rain lets up but I couldn’t find anything the first time. Bought the fitting to grease it and everything, then couldn’t find it.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is that the only one? Nothing on the front joint or behind the wheel bearings?

I may have missed that, I was looking on the cross itself.

OP
OP
mohemipar

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Yeah I will most likely just hit it every oil change. Ill be under there anyway. Like was said, its easy enough to do. Hey smurfs are you using the Mopar grease or an aftermarket?

Do I have to do this to my 1500?

No for 1500s.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah I will most likely just hit it every oil change. Ill be under there anyway. Like was said, its easy enough to do. Hey smurfs are you using the Mopar grease or an aftermarket?

No for 1500s.
Nah dude, I am just using the plain old heavy service grease we buy in bulk for our machinery. If it's good enough to take the **** kicking we put that stuff through, it's good enough for that dinky little joint. As long as you're faithfully greasing it, I don't think it has to be anything special. Just avoid mixing different types of grease (base).

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I only have to change oil couple times of year so I am hitting it both times of year. I wouldn't want to go more than a year without pumping some in it.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
stupid question....how do you get the front driveshaft to spin freely like that in the video? Put the transfer case in neutral?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stupid question....how do you get the front driveshaft to spin freely like that in the video? Put the transfer case in neutral?
In 2wd it will spin freely. In the vid it was in 2wd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nick,

Thanks for the video link! So the joints aren't greasable, only the ball (or the bearing for the ball) on the constant velocity joint IS. Jeez I should take a look at our Jeep, I've Never greased it, couldn't find any zerks. I bet there could be one of those in the same place!! (my bad!!) There's 200k on our Jeep front driveshaft and it still seems tight, so they last a long time.

It seems like a guy should should at 100k or 120k almost remove the front driveshaft, mark the yoke and pull it off, clean everything with solvent and regrease. Anyone done that?? Actually, If I did that I would probably drill and install zerk on the slip yoke.

Last edited: