How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to hijack Putz6x convo, but a question about adding REAR heated seats - they would have to be aftermarket heating pads, but I was wondering if there is a place that I could tap into power for them?

I know the Laramies can get heated rear seats but only in crew cabs (I have a Big Horn Quad cab) so Im just going under the assumption I have no wiring available to make it work. I dont mind using aftermarket pads and switches, just wasnt sure where to pull power from.

Thanks.

-Chris
STecoD is the only guy I know the actually wired up the rear heated seats in his crew cab Tradesman. He doesn't have them up and running yet because we haven't put the sales code in it. There's a lot more wiring involved. You would need a center console that had the factory rear heated seat switches in the back and and if I'm not mistaken you would need a different harness depending on what your seats actually came out of. If you wanted to do a factory setup you would also need to add the sales code which you most likely could not do unless you have the AE tool. He will probably chime in and tell you what would be needed. In your case it would be much easier just to add aftermarket rear heated seats and wire them separately.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have heated seats but not ventilated. For giggles has anyone got a quote from the dealer to add ventilated seats?
Ive called dealers across the country when i wanted to add this option they said no way can be done. I swear they all must have had a meeting about it. They told me it had to be done as an option when truck was built. I have successfully added the seats myself. Guys on here can help you if needed. They wouldnt even quote the job.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heated seats but not ventilated. For giggles has anyone got a quote from the dealer to add ventilated seats?
If you took your truck to the dealer and told them you wanted ventilated seats they would most likely stare at you like you were crazy and then tell you it's impossible to do. Most dealers are clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff. Also if you took it to the dealer to have the seats added the cost of the seats most likely be outrageous. All you would need to do is find a set of ventilated seats install them and buy a different switch panel and they should work. If your truck already has the heated seats then the wiring for the ventilated seats is already present. They will most likely work without adding the sales code but the control soft keys will not come up on the 8.4 radio. You can just turn on the ventilated section through the switch panel. If you wanted the codes added the dealer may or may not be able to depending on what trim level your truck is but you can purchase the OBD Genie plug it into your trucks OBD2 port and install the codes that way. Once the codes are are installed you remove the Genie and keep it in case you ever need to install them again.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
STecoD is the only guy I know the actually wired up the rear heated seats in his crew cab Tradesman. He doesn't have them up and running yet because we haven't put the sales code in it. There's a lot more wiring involved. You would need a center console that had the factory rear heated seat switches in the back and and if I'm not mistaken you would need a different harness depending on what your seats actually came out of. If you wanted to do a factory setup you would also need to add the sales code which you most likely could not do unless you have the AE tool. He will probably chime in and tell you what would be needed. In your case it would be much easier just to add aftermarket rear heated seats and wire them separately.

Yeah I was thinking of just adding the Roadwire heated kits (http://roadwire.com/s.nl/it.A/id.168701/.f).

Im reupholstering my rear seats to go from cloth to leather, so the covers will be off anyway. I dont expect it to be factory with all the switches, sales codes, etc. Just want to be able to power the aftermarket pads with their included switches (my daughter is jealous that my front seats will be factory-heated but not the rears where she sits)

Putz6x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will go over at lunchtime to verify some more wiring. If I remember correctly the wires from the elements were connected to the yellow plug? There was not a separate plug? Should it be? Sorry I'm a very visual guy would like to see a pic of a proper harness so I know what I'm looking at and for..

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I was thinking of just adding the Roadwire heated kits (http://roadwire.com/s.nl/it.A/id.168701/.f).

Im reupholstering my rear seats to go from cloth to leather, so the covers will be off anyway. I dont expect it to be factory with all the switches, sales codes, etc. Just want to be able to power the aftermarket pads with their included switches (my daughter is jealous that my front seats will be factory-heated but not the rears where she sits)
The power for your heated seats is in the yellow seat plug in the two pink/yellow wires. The pink and yellow wires are (ignition on positive) the only time they will have power is if your truck is running. These are the wires that operate your factory heating pads. I would not recommend splicing into them because they're only designed to handle so much draw Plus you don't want to interfere with your trucks factory system. The solid red wire in your yellow seat connector is constant positive. That is the wire that actually Powers your seat adjuster. If I were going to tap into a wire I would probably tap into that one because you're not going to be adjusting your seat constantly while you drive down the road and you could possibly draw juice from that to operate the rear seat heating pads. Make sure it's at least the gauge wire they recommend in the instructions because seat heating pads draw a good deal of juice. If it is not I would just run a wire directly from the battery with a fusible link into the cab and power the system that way.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will go over at lunchtime to verify some more wiring. If I remember correctly the wires from the elements were connected to the yellow plug? There was not a separate plug? Should it be? Sorry I'm a very visual guy would like to see a pic of a proper harness so I know what I'm looking at and for..
I would be happy to send you a picture of my harness but my seats were out of a Laramie so they're going to be different. My seats were memory seats so they have a completely different set up than the non memory seat would have. STecoD may have pictures of that harness but I'm not sure. I will ask him next time I talk to him.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The power for your heated seats is in the yellow seat plug in the two pink/yellow wires. The pink and yellow wires are (ignition on positive) the only time they will have power is if your truck is running. These are the wires that operate your factory heating pads. I would not recommend splicing into them because they're only designed to handle so much draw Plus you don't want to interfere with your trucks factory system. The solid red wire in your yellow seat connector is constant positive. That is the wire that actually Powers your seat adjuster. If I were going to tap into a wire I would probably tap into that one because you're not going to be adjusting your seat constantly while you drive down the road and you could possibly draw juice from that to operate the rear seat heating pads. Make sure it's at least the gauge wire they recommend in the instructions because seat heating pads draw a good deal of juice. If it is not I would just run a wire directly from the battery with a fusible link into the cab and power the system that way.

Sounds good thanks! Ill most likely just run lead(s) directly to the battery with a fuse or link in between. I thought I read the pads take 7A on low and 14A on full so Ill definitely need the juice directly.

Putz6x

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I went back over today to have a look at my heated seat dilemma. So it looks like my seat cushion does not have the element for heat, but the backrest does. So that has me thinking that they put the element in the backrest from factory because of the wiring for the airbag etc? I pulled a bit of the cushion cover back so I could get my hand in and could not feel it in the bottom cushion and there were no wires coming out of that section. I was able to look at another truck which had wiring coming from the bottom cushion. So it looks like I will just have to live without heated seats unless I get aftermarket and or factory ones from a wrecker. Thanks again everyone.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I went back over today to have a look at my heated seat dilemma. So it looks like my seat cushion does not have the element for heat, but the backrest does. So that has me thinking that they put the element in the backrest from factory because of the wiring for the airbag etc? I pulled a bit of the cushion cover back so I could get my hand in and could not feel it in the bottom cushion and there were no wires coming out of that section. I was able to look at another truck which had wiring coming from the bottom cushion. So it looks like I will just have to live without heated seats unless I get aftermarket and or factory ones from a wrecker. Thanks again everyone.
Sorry to hear that I was hoping it would be an easy upgrade for you. Remember if you ever run across the set of heated seats for a big thry will bolt right into your truck and work fine if you install the switch panel.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
How much does this conversion cost on average?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much does this conversion cost on average?
Really the biggest cost factor is finding the seats. Since the conversion has been figured out the prices have gone pretty high. To find a set of heated Bighorn seats you might be looking between $750 and $1000 for a full set front and rear depending on their condition. Laramie seats which are heated and ventilated and leather are usually substantially more around $1500 to $2000 for a complete set front and rear. You can sometimes find them cheaper if you shop around on a car-part.com or eBay. I was able to find my Laramie seats for $600 front and rear on carpart.com. If you add the heated wheel your looking at around $125 to $150 for the steering wheel used on eBay $30 for the steering wheel harness if for some reason it doesn't come with the steering wheel. The clockspring for the heated steering wheel I believe is. around $250 or $275. You would also need to purchase the switch panel which is going to run about $85. And also the harness from M2mods mods to put it all together. I'm not sure what their harnesses are going for now. Then to top it all off you may need to add the codes to the vehicle and if it's a Tradesman or an Express you will need to use an OBD Genie or find somebody with an AE tool because the dealer cannot add the codes in the lower trim level trucks. I believe the OBD Genie is $199. If you had it all up it is definitely an expensive mod.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Ah damn I have a big horn. Would definitely be nice to have but that is expensive :/

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah damn I have a big horn. Would definitely be nice to have but that is expensive :/
Since you have the Bighorn you would not have to buy the wiring your truck already has it. Your seats would basically be a plug-and-play and just add the switch panel and install the codes. The best way to do it is to just piece it together. Keep an eye out for stuff and pick it up when you can find it for a good price. Also your Bighorn seats are worth money even if they're not heated. You can sell them to offset some of the cost. You can also sell your non heated leather steering wheel.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
OK....need help. I believe I am going down the same road as someone else (RicksRam?) in this thread who ended up with non-airbag seats. I just took delivery of supposedly (2) 2015 Ram 3500 seats that suppose to be SRS (airbag). According to year (2015) and model (3500) they should be SRS. Got them on Ebay from LKQ. Neither the driver's seat or pass seat have the SRS tag sewn into the outside front edge of the seat cover, nor does either seat have the zipper that runs down the side of the back outside edge of the seat cover. Am I missing anything? I notified LKQ that I want to return the seats. I am just looking to ensure that I am correct. Is there any other visible distinction that would help confirming they are not SRS seats without going through taking the covers off?

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK....need help. I believe I am going down the same road as someone else (RicksRam?) in this thread who ended up with non-airbag seats. I just took delivery of supposedly (2) 2015 Ram 3500 seats that suppose to be SRS (airbag). According to year (2015) and model (3500) they should be SRS. Got them on Ebay from LKQ. Neither the driver's seat or pass seat have the SRS tag sewn into the outside front edge of the seat cover, nor does either seat have the zipper that runs down the side of the back outside edge of the seat cover. Am I missing anything? I notified LKQ that I want to return the seats. I am just looking to ensure that I am correct. Is there any other visible distinction that would help confirming they are not SRS seats without going through taking the covers off?
I would definitely think that the seats do not have airbags if the tag is not sewn into the side of the seat. I have never seen seats that had the airbag without the tag. I would definitely contact LKQ and verify if they actually came out of a 3500. To the best of my knowledge all the 13 up 3500's have the seat airbags airbags but I'm not positive. I would say more than likely they are either out of an older Ram or the came out of the 4500 or 5500. I would definitely see about getting the seats returned for full refund.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I would definitely think that the seats do not have airbags if the tag is not sewn into the side of the seat. I have never seen seats that had the airbag without the tag. I would definitely contact LKQ and verify if they actually came out of a 3500. To the best of my knowledge all the 13 up 3500's have the seat airbags airbags but I'm not positive. I would say more than likely they are either out of an older Ram or the came out of the 4500 or 5500. I would definitely see about getting the seats returned for full refund.

Rick....thanks....and yes I not only have contacted LKQ but also sent them pics of the seats showing no SRS tags and no zipper on the cover. Ironically the LKQ shipping label on the seats has written in bright red magic marker letters "Airbags". I also did tell them what you pointed out: that they have to be from either an earlier year Ram or a 4500/5500. And you are right, I have never seen an SRS seat that did not have the SRS tag. I just wanted to check here to see if there was anything else to confirm they were non-SRS without going through the hassle of taking the seat cover off. I am waiting to hear back from them on the return of the seats.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LKQ is famous for having things listed wrong all the time. I have learned to always have them send me a picture before I pay them because 9 times out of 10 they're listening correctly.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LKQ is famous for having things listed wrong all the time. I have learned to always have them send me a picture before I pay them because 9 times out of 10 they're listening correctly.

This.

Also, if you "contact seller" through eBay, they will happily provide you with the VIN number the parts came from.

Take that VIN and run it through the build sheet generator (http://ram.custhelp.com/app/ram/eqlisting_detail) and the window sticker generator (add the VIN number to the end of this URL: https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=) and that should give you the most accurate information possible, assuming they werent swapped from another vehicle.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins

I actually had asked them for more pictures and LKQ said only the pics on ebay were available. In any event I just got notification from LKQ that return of the seats has been approved. Waiting for them to send a bill of lading for trucking company and a pickup date. On a more upbeat note.....I just found 2 bucket seats at a salvage yard in Michigan called SCHRAM. Spoke with them. The seats are out of a '16 3500 with 900 miles. Asked how that was possible. Here is the good part....they are from a Ram test vehicle. According to the person I spoke with, this salvage yard disposes of vehicle parts from FCA / Ram. If a vehicle is used for testing purposes FCA / Ram CANNOT sell the vehicle. So Ram dismantles it and sends parts to the salvage yard. Sure enough I looked on Ebay and found another set (tan, mine are black) from this yard.