How To Add Heated/Ventelated seats and Heated Wheel to Express/Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah I have bought several things from them. Never had a problem.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Yeah I have bought several things from them. Never had a problem.

Mystery solved....maybe. Found the VIN for the truck that the LKQ seats came out of. The VIN does come back to a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW........CHASSIS. So it was not a pickup, and I think no SRS seats since its a CHASSIS model.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mystery solved....maybe. Found the VIN for the truck that the LKQ seats came out of. The VIN does come back to a 2015 Ram 3500 DRW........CHASSIS. So it was not a pickup, and I think no SRS seats since its a CHASSIS model.
You are correct that's why the seats did I have airbags it was not a pickup. Also Schram's sells several parts off Chrysler test Vehicles. That's actually where I got my auto dim auto high beam rearview mirror. It was brand new. Were you able to visually see the new seats and verify that they have the airbags and that they are correct?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
You are correct that's why the seats did I have airbags it was not a pickup. Also Schram's sells several parts off Chrysler test Vehicles. That's actually where I got my auto dim auto high beam rearview mirror. It was brand new. Were you able to visually see the new seats and verify that they have the airbags and that they are correct?

Yes, I saw pics of the seats. You can see the SRS tags on the outside edge of both seats as well as the LARAMIE logo on the backrest cushion cover. I also got them to send pics of the connectors under the driver's seat. Actually they had them as a complete set of front and rear seats AND the console. When I contacted them I had to do some negotiating since they originally wanted to sell all the seats / console as a set. I should explain that for me I do not need the rear seats / console, I have a regular cab and it has a console already. So I had to offer a good price for the seats to get them to brake up the set. All in, for the 2 buckets and shipping came to 1750. Maybe high, but I was tired of searching, the headache with LKQ, and these seats have low miles on them which I of course preferred, sealed the deal for me.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually had asked them for more pictures and LKQ said only the pics on ebay were available. In any event I just got notification from LKQ that return of the seats has been approved. Waiting for them to send a bill of lading for trucking company and a pickup date. On a more upbeat note.....I just found 2 bucket seats at a salvage yard in Michigan called SCHRAM. Spoke with them. The seats are out of a '16 3500 with 900 miles. Asked how that was possible. Here is the good part....they are from a Ram test vehicle. According to the person I spoke with, this salvage yard disposes of vehicle parts from FCA / Ram. If a vehicle is used for testing purposes FCA / Ram CANNOT sell the vehicle. So Ram dismantles it and sends parts to the salvage yard. Sure enough I looked on Ebay and found another set (tan, mine are black) from this yard.

Ive communicated a bit with Schram over eBay. nice people, definitely willing to work with you.

Seats are too much of a PITA here because Im far away from them, but I did purchase a good condition heated steering wheel for my RAM from them.

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can I ask what Schram’s user name on eBay is? I searched that name and came up with zero results for the last 6-8 months. And their seller feedback wasn’t all that high numerically. (Great positive ratings but just not that many total).

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks.
Looks like I forgot to add autoparts to the name.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Deleted.....found answer

Rn6El32l.png
398128[/ATTACH]']AuDMY2Fl.png

398130[/ATTACH]']7J6f4bnl.png
3m6z7cMl.png
8G3gSKvl.png

Attachments

• Rn6El32l.png
    Rn6El32l.png
    503 bytes · Views: 0
  • 7J6f4bnl.png
    7J6f4bnl.png
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I finally got the LKQ seats returned / refunded and took delivery of 2 Laramie seats from Schram. I have taken off the stock leather covers and will be ordering a new set of covers from Leatherseats.com. Something a little different and better than stock. But now after taking the covers off I have found some electrical connectors under the seat bottom on both the driver's and passenger. I do not know what they are for and as far as I can tell there is no corresponding electrical connector on my Ram that would be used to connect to them. So I am asking if anyone here that has installed Laramie seats if these connectors look familiar or if you know just what they might be for. Here are some pics with descriptions:

The first 2 pics are of the pass seat. And of these 2, the first is looking down into the seat (cushion of course is out). The connector (gray)is at the back of the seat towards the middle. The second pic is the same connector but now looking at it from the rear of the seat.

Rn6El32l.png
https://i.imgur.com/Rn6El32l.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/AuDMY2Fl.jpg[/img]']AuDMY2Fl.png
https://i.imgur.com/Rn6El32l.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/AuDMY2Fl.jpg[/img]']
The next 3 pics are of 2 gray connectors under the drivers seat. They are looking down into the seat bottom area:

7J6f4bnl.png
https://i.imgur.com/7J6f4bnl.jpg[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/3m6z7cMl.jpg[/img]']3m6z7cMl.png
8G3gSKvl.png

Any info is appreciated. Just want to make sure that I am not missing anything as far as all these electrical connections go.
I installed the leather seats.com covers on my truck and they fit awesome and I love them. One thing I want to mention though is make sure you get the flow through foam and inserts so the ventilated part works if you're planning on making it all function in the future. The ventilation on my seat works but they don't work as good as the factory because they don't have as many ventilation holes even though I payed extra for the special perforated inserts. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I installed the leather seats.com covers on my truck and they fit awesome and I love them. One thing I want to mention though is make sure you get the flow through foam and inserts so the ventilated part works if you're planning on making it all function in the future. The ventilation on my seat works but they don't work as good as the factory because they don't have as many ventilation holes even though I payed extra for the special perforated inserts. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Rick...thanks for the heads up on the perforation holes. I am ordering the covers today and will do so by phone to ensure all is right. Did your seats have extra electrical connectors under them? Anything like what I posted? Thanks........

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rick...thanks for the heads up on the perforation holes. I am ordering the covers today and will do so by phone to ensure all is right. Did your seats have extra electrical connectors under them? Anything like what I posted? Thanks........
Usually there may be the wires for the center console that the wrecking yard left attached to the drivers seat but those don't look like the correct ones. My seats came out if a truck with a jump seat but I don't remember having any plugs under the seat. As long as you don't see any plugs that are disconnected or any place they can attatch too I think you are ok. I recovered my seats almost three years ago so I may have forgotten a few things. One thing I would suggest is to hook power to the red wire in the yellow plug and a ground to the black wire in the yellow plug on both yne driver and passenger seat and make sure all the seat adjustment features work. The only plugs needed for the conversion are the yellow plug and 20 pin gray plug for the drivers seat and the yellow plug on the passenger seat. I hope leatherseats.com has a better option now for the inserts on the seats. When I did mine I ordered the best ones they had and like I said my seats ventilate but not as good as my buddies Laramie with the stock covers there's just not enough holes in the material.

Pixel shooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I read 81pages and gave up lol. Forum has been awesome. Just did the atc mod and works perfectly thanks to Deereguy harness.

Have a 15 sport. Traded off my sport seats for Laramie seats from same year truck. Already have heated seats and steering wheel. Heated seats work on new seats and really want cooling seats. I’m guessing wiring is there. So couple questions

1- Now i need sales code added or purchase obd so it updates my bcm. Once done my cooling seats should work? i should be able to control thru my ra3 8.4” regardless if i have updated my panel switch or do i have to do that at the same time.

2- can i just buy the cooling switches to add to my panel or do i have to find a panel with all my switches i need on it. I have tow haul mode; Heated seats, heated steering wheel, brake controller, traction control. And how do i get the right part number

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read 81pages and gave up lol. Forum has been awesome. Just did the atc mod and works perfectly thanks to Deereguy harness.

Have a 15 sport. Traded off my sport seats for Laramie seats from same year truck. Already have heated seats and steering wheel. Heated seats work on new seats and really want cooling seats. I’m guessing wiring is there. So couple questions

1- Now i need sales code added or purchase obd so it updates my bcm. Once done my cooling seats should work? i should be able to control thru my ra3 8.4” regardless if i have updated my panel switch or do i have to do that at the same time.

2- can i just buy the cooling switches to add to my panel or do i have to find a panel with all my switches i need on it. I have tow haul mode; Heated seats, heated steering wheel, brake controller, traction control. And how do i get the right part number

Thanks in advance
You are correct all the wiring is there for your cooled seats. You will need to replace the switch panel with the one that has all the options your truck currently has plus the cooled seats. The buttons in the switch panel are not removable. If you find one used make sure it's for a 14 or newer Ram. For some reason the 2013 Ram switch panels will not work on anything but a 2013. The factory trailer brake control buttons are actually separate and not connected to the others even though they look like it while they're installed in the truck. If you remove the switch panel you'll see the trailer brake control switch actually comes out so you don't need to worry about that. In some cases the seats will actually function just buy installing the switch panel without the codes but many times the codes will need to be added in order for them to function. Depending on where you live there might be somebody near you with an AE tool that can activate the codes for you if needed so you don't have to buy the OBD Genie. Once the codes are activated in your BCM the cooled seats will show up in your radio just like the heated seats do now and function normally just like it the truck had came with them.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You dont really need the panel if you cant find the one that matches your options. Although its not hard to do most of the time. You can have someone add the function to the radio and just use the soft keys.

Also if you are near anyone with the AE tool its a pretty quick setup, if not the OBD genie makes it pretty much fool proof, and if the dealer ever flashes a module and screws it up, the genie will put it right back.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WilliamS is correct. You don't necessarily need the switch panel in order for the seats to function. I personally prefer using the buttons on the switch panel to turn my seats on and off but if not having the buttons on there doesn't bother you you can probably get away with keeping the one you have. Remember in order for the seats to function without the correct switch panel you will have to add the codes for sure to bring the controls up on your radio screen. The seats also may work just by installing the switch panel and not having to add the codes but it's a crapshoot. For some reason some work without the codes and some don't. If your truck is a 2015 1500 and you DON'T have the front and rear park assist or air suspension this is the correct part number for the switch panel on your truck.

This switch panel has these options
Heated seat driver
Ventilated seat driver
Heated steering wheel
Ventilated seat passenger
Heated seat passenger
Tow Haul button
Traction control
Part# 56054484AA
The switch panel runs around $85 to $90. I would personally install the switch panel and see what happens and go from there. If it works without the codes you will save the price of the OBD Genie unless you want the controls to come up on your radio screen. Also as WilliamS stated a lot of us have the AE tool. You might find someone near you to put the codes in for you to save you the $299 price of the OBD Genie. Like he said the benefit of having OBD Genie is that if for some reason the codes ever get erased you can put them right back in and not have to chase down someone with an AE tool to reinstall them for you.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’ll also add that I don’t think the genie is activating the vented seats correctly still. I have had 2 people buy the genie lately and it does not turn on the vent codes. My guess is that they are just turning on ECU3 and not the ECU 5 settings. This may work for some trucks but we know other trucks definitely need the ECU5 settings enabled for the vented seats to work properly.

Pixel shooter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank u gents especially Rick for the very detailed responses. You guys rock! Going to order switch panel and go from there. I Too like the panel for use

Question anything special to get the memory positions on the Laramie seats to work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank u gents especially Rick for the very detailed responses. You guys rock! Going to order switch panel and go from there. I Too like the panel for use

Question anything special to get the memory positions on the Laramie seats to work?
I recommend contacting Benny at allmoparparts.com who is a vendor on the forum to order the switch panel. I feel very confident the part number I gave you is the correct one for tne options I stated but It's also always good to double-check with him before you actually order it. If you end up installing a switch panel and you're ventilated seats don't function DeereGuy brought up a very good point. The OBD Genie has not been working in some trucks because it's not activating the codes in ECU#5. I might recommend taking your truck to the dealer and see if you can have them install the ventilated seat code if you can't find anyone near you with the AE tool. Since your truck is a Sport and ventilated seats was an available option in the 2015 Sport the dealer should be able to activate the code for you. The lower trim level trucks like the Express and the Tradesmen have the codes in the BCM but the codes are locked out and dealers cannot add them because they where are not available options on our trucks. That's why we have the AE tool to activate the codes or people purchase an OBD Genie. As far as memory seat function goes there have been a few people that have got them to partially work but there are several codes that need to be added and you would need the AE tool to do so.

mjf6175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Well I could not help myself from following in RicksRam footsteps. I took the stock Laramie leather covers off the set of Laramie seats I got from Schwab and ordered custom leather covers from LeatherSeats.com. I ordered them with full leather, contrast stitching, and the Cummins logo. Just finished installing them. Came out good but maybe not quite as nice an install as RicksRam did, but sure tried. Will be installing them soon when the weather gets a little better (have to do the swap outside) and I can get my hands on an AE. Here is a pic of the seats:

399461[/ATTACH]']Llo1mTDl.png

Attachments

• Llo1mTDl.png
    Llo1mTDl.png