How to Add Overhead Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do for a 2009-2012. Same offer if your interested. Shipping should be $6.80 and the module is free as I can't guarantee it works (I have a 2014) The black bezel surround is a little knicked but should polish right up.

I also have my old 2014 compass module if anyone's interested.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Will that switch and module work on my 2015? And I might be in for the compass module if I can find the harness?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Will that switch and module work on my 2015? And I might be in for the compass module if I can find the harness?
It will but not properly. The Homelink module is the compass module if you have both. If you don't have Homelink, the compass module has no buttons.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It will but not properly. The Homelink module is the compass module if you have both. If you don't have Homelink, the compass module has no buttons.

Ah, thanks SKB. That explains why my searches for the homelink switches turned up nothing. Can the switches be added or do I need to look for a different overhead console that already has them and just add the compass module? And what wiring is needed up there for that? I've had my headliner down a few times and haven't noticed any wiring just laying around up there, is it like the BT harness and can be added or does something else power it?

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is exactly what I was looking for!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone been able to get the homelink working without buying a new headliner?
Yep., many have all the info is within this thread .
Will require some reading but it's all here .
I know cptwing & I belive several others have as well .

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Has anyone been able to get the homelink working without buying a new headliner?

You can source the plug/pins for the homelink/compass module (both use same plug) and it runs down to the green connector on the drivers side of the dash. There are 4 connections you have to make there, and the sales code CV2 would have to be added.

Atkpilot1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Adding Overhead Console

Yeah, i wish it was that easy but for me nothing ever is!! I'm gonna keep trying and hope i'm holding my head at the right angle and it will start working.

You got that right. My dad had a saying. 30 minute job will take three hours. However having said that I replaced my taillight and it was a 5 minute job. While assy so that made it easy

I'm going to start on the homelink too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yohan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 ST Quad 4x4
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
Folks,

I've purchased the Overhead console with bracket and took it a step further, I grabbed the wiring loom that goes all the way down the driver side A-Pillar. This came out of a sport so has the (window/sunroof?) switch as well. I also grabbed the full wiring harness for the mirror with Microphone for my 8.4 upgrade (got the deck too).

For the overhead console, can I Just swap the wire harness all the way down or is there an easier way to do it by tapping wires ?? I really just want the lights. thx!

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Folks,

I've purchased the Overhead console with bracket and took it a step further, I grabbed the wiring loom that goes all the way down the driver side A-Pillar. This came out of a sport so has the (window/sunroof?) switch as well. I also grabbed the full wiring harness for the mirror with Microphone for my 8.4 upgrade (got the deck too).

For the overhead console, can I Just swap the wire harness all the way down or is there an easier way to do it by tapping wires ?? I really just want the lights. thx!

Where did you buy the harnesses?

yohan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
Where did you buy the harnesses?

Local yard, pull it from a 2013 1500 sport. (both harnesses pulled out all the clips from above the windshield inside headliner) also got ra4, dimming microphone mirror and rock deflector.

Padre675

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman Crew
Engine
4.7L V8 FFV
Local yard, pull it from a 2013 1500 sport. (both harnesses pulled out all the clips from above the windshield inside headliner) also got ra4, dimming microphone mirror and rock deflector.

Damn, that's some luck. I can't even find a 4th Gen in any of the local yards here.

yohan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L Pentastar
Damn, that's some luck. I can't even find a 4th Gen in any of the local yards here.

It was posted on Kijiji, I had to negate pretty hard to get the pricing, at first they said 1400 CAD incl steering wheel , got em to 1100, in the end I paid 915 + 160 for the wheel so .. not doing too bad considering I have the harnesses and bracket for overhead console.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Thanks, wish I could find the local yard that'll let me pull...

Yoyodyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had the ra1 no overhead console no compass

purchased overhead with homelink and compass module per part number

i also have the factory headliner harness to make it all plug up etc

i have the lights in homelink buttons was told that means canbus is communicating with it
but i get zero notes in evic screen on homelink nothing shows up when i press any of the link buttons

1)do i need to get codes flashed for the evic to communicate with homelink
and for homelink to work
2)do i need to check fuse in #80 spot,will do that regardless tommorrow and check plug with meter to verify power
3)from what others are saying some are able to add it and it shows right up and starts working some are having to add from dealer codes in
4)does anyone know which color wires are the night illumination wires hot and ground for the 911 rear view mirror,as that will be easiest place to tap for led on at night operation in console

thanks ahead for anyone that guides me on this

Did you ever figure out what was the issue ? I am having the exact same problem. Just installed my overhead console and homelink module. Have power to module, module buttons light up, nothing in EVIC. 2014 express, factory RA1. I did a RA2 swap a while back.

joshlvsl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah I added my console a while back and mine also lights up but I get nothing on the EVIC and it will not operate my garage door. The only thing I noticed is my homelink module is for a truck with a sunroof and mine does not have one, I don't think that would make a difference but I don't know? Maybe I need to get the dealer to add the sales code when I take it in for the next oil change?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah I added my console a while back and mine also lights up but I get nothing on the EVIC and it will not operate my garage door. The only thing I noticed is my homelink module is for a truck with a sunroof and mine does not have one, I don't think that would make a difference but I don't know? Maybe I need to get the dealer to add the sales code when I take it in for the next oil change?
That shouldn't matter. It's more important that the module is from the right year. I think compatibility is 2009-2012 have one module and 2013+ have another.